10" Delta Miter Saw Repair - Model 36-075

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
The dust collection chute directing sawdust from the blade to the collection bag at the back of my old Delta 10" Miter saw (Model 36-075) was made of a thin rubber material and after over 20 years of use finally disintegrated. The part is no longer available from Delta or other parts suppliers. Fortunately, on Etsy.com I found a small business "Dirty Dog Woodworking" that makes a 3D printed plastic replacement. I ordered one and it works great. Photo below of the installation show the replacement dust chute in blue which fit perfectly and seems much more durable than the thin rubber part it replaced.

IMG_7887.jpg IMG_7888.jpg IMG_7889.jpg

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I did something similar with my Milwaukee slider. I bought a 3d printed adapter a few years ago for a shopvac to replace the cloth bag.

Fast forward to now, I bought a 3D printer about a month ago, and have been making a lot of odds and ends. Anything from toys for the kids to a dust collection improvement for my Rikon bandsaw.

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
I did something similar with my Milwaukee slider. I bought a 3d printed adapter a few years ago for a shopvac to replace the cloth bag.

Fast forward to now, I bought a 3D printer about a month ago, and have been making a lot of odds and ends. Anything from toys for the kids to a dust collection improvement for my Rikon bandsaw.
I recently purchased a CNC and I'm busy climbing the learning curve. I've thought about acquiring a 3D printer as well. The Etsy store I bought the dust chute from has developed a number of accessories for tools such as the DeWalt lunchbox planer. With 3D printers and CNC's in the hands of hundreds of thousands of hobbyists the innovation forthcoming should be dramatic to watch over the next few years.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I've thought about acquiring a 3D printer as well.

I bought a Creality Ender V2 Neo for about $250 (on amazon today it's $242 applying the $45 coupon). There is certainly a learning curve, but there's tons of YouTube videos that have helped me, especially setting it up. I think most fails that beginners have is from not getting it tuned and calibrated properly out of the box. I haven't had many printing fails, and the few that have I recognized why immediately (most of the time it's because the print needed more supports).

It's amazing what you can find. I typically search thangs.com for stuff, which searches other 3D sites. I've also bought a few files from etsy and other sites. Searching for Rikon on Thangs turns up a lot of stuff, like the bandsaw table insert, dust collection, etc. I plan on making some magnetic dust collection couplings soon....

Chuck N

Chuck
Corporate Member
I bought a Shapeoko Pro XXL the older technology belt drive, because I couldn't fit the new Shapeoko 5 pro into my shop. I'm very happy with my decision. The customer service from Carbide 3D (the manufacturer) is excellent. The free Carbide Create design software works well for a newbie and the Carbide Motion software that drives the machine does the job. As a Mac user I'm glad Carbide produces its software in Mac and PC versions. The learning curve in the beginning was steep. Like you I am a stickler for accurate machine setup and spent hours getting my machine as close to perfect as possible before trying to make anything. Fortunately hours of YouTube videos and Carbide 3D's excellent support team provided the handholding I needed. Then I spent days consuming my workshop cutoff pile getting experience with the software and with the different bits and speeds. Taking a disciplined approach paid off in the end. 6 months later I can sit down with the design software, design something, create the tool paths and have it ready to execute with precision in a few hours.

I've enjoyed working the CAD equipment into the workflow in my shop. I view it as one more piece of equipment with its own pros and cons. Looking at 3D printing I suspect some of my CNC experience is applicable. However I realize 3D printing is an additive process while CNC is subtractive. A different mindset in some ways.

Best wishes in your journey.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS