1/4" plywood source

bbrown

Bill
User
Hello folks,

I am sure this comes up frequently, so apologize ahead of time. I did a search and a thousand mentions of plywood come up.
I am looking for very high quality 1/4" plywood for a veneer project.
I have an order for a Jefferson lap desk in curly cherry. The wood parts are very thin and I therefore am planning to veneer thin ply to prevent warping.

I live in Lynchburg, VA area and drive through the Danville, VA (Rt. 29) and then Greenville, NC area to work in Albemarle.

Thanks

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill, will Baltic Birch work (thinking "Very high quality...")
I searched Klingspor and didn't find it (thinking you might have to have it shipped....)

But if that wouldn't work isn't there a Woodcraft in Danville?

bbrown

Bill
User
Thanks guys. I did not know there was a Woodcraft in Danville (could be dangerous!).
Maybe I don't need the very highest quality ply for this. It's for a customer, so there cannot be any warping on this project. I never use plywood. My veneering substrate has always been MDF or glued up poplar. But this project requires very thin surfaces (1/4" range) and MDF just seem liable to cracking if the desk gets any rough treatment.
What kind of ply would folks suggest? Maybe I can go lower on the grade?
Here the project: I'm doing a replica of Jefferson's lap desk

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is funny - I was JUST reading that article and thought it would be a fun (stretch) project.
I have ZERO experience, but from reading, if MDF doesn't work (first choice) then BB (baltic Birch ply) is the next choice.

I got some 1/4 MDF core plywood from Dirk (@golfdad) for a project. It was thin oak veneer on one or both side and a MDF core. Not sure what he bought it for (cabinets??) but it seems pretty stable...

Kelly

Kelly
User
If you make that drive often, you must go very close to The Hardwood Store, a sponsor of this site, in Gibsonville. They carry BB in 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
+1 for Hardwood store.

Also, stick with high quality plywood.
I go through a lot of plywood in that dimension range - 4mm-6mm for laser cutting.
I've found the lesser grades tend to warp.
Too few layers and unbalanced surface veneers seem to be the contributors.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Wall lumber in Mayodan should also carry what you need. It is located off 220 not that far from lynchburg

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Bill, I lay up on BB quite often. I'm getting ready to start building a new shop and home in Chatham, 29/57 north of Dannville. I could bring some sheets when I go there if we ever could make that work.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Chris, that is exciting. You have great products, it was just a long way to travel. My Mother in Law lives in Danville so we are there often. Please keep us posted

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS