Search results

1. H

Squares

See if there is something helpful in this write-up. No matter how much you spend for a device, you still don't know if it is square. I ran a large tool and die shop and we purchased a number of Brown & Sharp and Starrett devices and some of them were not "square". We had "standards" that our...
  2. H

What makes a good saw log?

The most important thing to do when working with newly felled trees is to immediately coat the ends of the bucked logs with a end sealing product. Anchorseal is the best. It's a waterbased wax emulsion. It is intended to slow the evaporation of water from the ends of the log. Fast water...
  3. H

Paraffin or Beeswax? Which one for drawer slide?

<<<< I realize that both paraffin and beeswax will probably work to lubricate the action, Actually, beeswax is not very slippery. It's sort of gummy and sticky. I generally use Johnson wax which works well. Paraffin is also not as slippery as the Johnson Wax. Another note. I recommend...
  4. H

Paraffin or Beeswax? Which one for drawer slide?

Bees wax is actually fairly sticky and not very slick or slippery. I always use paraffin or a couple of coats of Johnson Paste Wax.
  5. H

African or Phillipine Mahogany

"Philippine" mahogany in a marketing name for a number of SE asian woods. I suggest you google the phrase to learn about it. It is not a real mahogany. "African" mahogany is a true species of mahogany.
  6. H

Stain With No Grain?

If she wants "no grain showing" then paint is the best option.
  7. H

How to finish dresser drawers

Lacquer, shellac or a clear waterborne are the preferred treatment for inside cabinets or drawers. For drawers I like to give the drawer insides a coat of shellac, let it dry and sand lightly with 320 paper. This will prevent and snags if cloth items are put in the drawers.
  8. H

Has Anyone Installed Vega Fence on Grizzly GO691 TS?

Let me mention that I have installed a number of Vega fences. Most were on Delta saws and one was on a Jet saw. Installation was without major problems. The folks at Vega are very helpful and happy to talk to you. Give them a call and discuss your concerns and get their info on installing...
  9. H

Lacquer vs Stain

Basically there are two types of stain. One is a pigment stain and the other is a dye stain. Pigment stains contain relatively large particles of color and do not significantly penetrate the surface of the wood. In other words they rely on a binder--generally a resin--to hold the...
  10. H

Square Cross Cuts

It sounds like you have not performed your saw alignment in the proper way. The reference for measurements is the miter slot. The following is the way to get your saw properly aligned. Here is the low tech, low cost way to align a tablesaw that I learned maybe forty years ago and use to teach...
  11. H

Slick clamp handles

The best finish is NO FINISH. Sand off the existing finish. If you really want a finish, boiled linseed oil is what most use on wooden tool handles. Wipe it on, let is set 15-20 minutes and wipe dry.
  12. H

Help figuring out best construction method

It looks to me that there are numerous cross grain joints in assembling the top if the top is made from solid wood. If I wanted a table like that, I would be using veneers glued to a non-moving substrate like MDF or plywood. Maybe I'm missing something here????????.
  13. H

New Workbench

A nice way to make a top surface is to use your laminated 2x4's and put a Masonite top on them. That gives a flat, hard surface that can be replaced if it gets damaged or too dinged up. Use an oil/varnish mixture for your top finish to minimize finish and glues sticking to the top.
  14. H

Revisiting the Card Scraper and a change in edge preparation

Here is the way I was taught years ago to sharpen a hand scraper. The first step is to put the scraper in a vise and using a fine file, file the edge perfectly perpendicular to the sides. Only a couple of strokes should be necessary and this is normally only done on a brand new scraper or one...
  15. H

Thoughts on finishing Adirondack chairs made from PT pine

>>>> Spar varnish was developed for boat decks and is made to deal with UV Rays. No, that's not correct. "Spar" varnish is formulated to be soft and flexible to allow the wood to expand and contract in exterior conditions. It is neither particularly water or moisture impervious. Because of...
  16. H

Piggy Cutting Board

The reason that butcher's blocks and boards are made with end grain is that the cuts in the end grain tend to "heal" and somewhat close up. With an end grain orientation the grain is spread apart rather than cut.
  17. H

Messy KBodies

Heat will loosen most finishes. Use a heat gun or a carefully weilded propane tourch. Paint stripper will work in most cases but it may stain the metal. I use a wire wheel on my grinder to clean up the serrations on the bar.
  18. H

Glue spreaders?

That was a no, no in my shop. Fingers or gloves spread glue fingermarks on nearby surfaces. These finger print marks always popped up when it came time to apply finishes. I had to finally fire one otherwise good woodworker who persisted in using his finger.
  19. H

Dust Mask

>>>> I can work without fogging glasses as well. OK, your glasses don't fog but your lungs are not protected from dust.
  20. H

Dust Mask

Those masks are not approved by NIOSH for use in woodworking shops. The contaminated air enters under the edges of the mask allowing dust, particles paint mist into your lungs. If youl have facial hair they are particularly ineffective. They are fine for household dust. Be sure any mask you...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS