Search results

1. Gofor

Need a new Table saw blade

I have mostly Freud blades (full thickness for the most part). The cut I am least happy with is the 50t (10") general purpose, but use it for rough cuts. Doesn't seem to do either cross cut or rip good. OK maybe, but not finish work. The glue-line rip is very good, and the higher count ATB...
  2. Gofor

Electrical formula question

Probably as hot, but not as long! If you do decide to get a small genset, I can recommend the Westinghouse 2500w inverter. Although it is only gas, you will get about 8-12 hours run time on a tankful. Weighs about 40 lbs and is easy to start. Has a fuel gauge as well as low oil shut-off...
  3. Gofor

Is There a Decent Staple Gun Out There?

One aspect of the manual staplers is that you have to keep it hard pressed against the surface. and the surface must be solid. If the surface can "bounce", you will have problems with the staples going fully in.
  4. Gofor

Pin Nailer

If you decide on a small compressor, I have the Harbor Freight 2 gal Fortress (corded). It is quiet and supplies plenty of air for a nailer. Best to catch them with a good coupon. I can even use it with my framing nailer, but have to let it catch up after about 8 or ten nails. One of my...
  5. Gofor

New Air Compressor

Thanks for that update. That is the first I have heard of the lock out under pressure. All of mine (years old) on both compressors can be attached under pressure.
  6. Gofor

New Air Compressor

Hi Flo fittings are about 5/16" ID and do take a compatible male/female fitting because the male shank is a larger diameter as well.. I use them on my 3/8" hoses as it reduces the make-up loss when using a high CFM air tool. (Which is about any air tool except a nailer or stapler.) The other...
  7. Gofor

Rusty Brown and Sharpe combination square

I appreciate that, Tom. Thank you for yours. If I had kept those original tools, which IIRC cost me about $400 (half of which I borrowed from my Dad), they would be worth well over $4,000 now!
  8. Gofor

Rusty Brown and Sharpe combination square

When I went to work at Owens Illinois as an apprentice machinist in 1966, my Dad, a journeyman machinist himself, advised me not to go cheap on my measurement tools The best reputable brands were Starrett, Lufkin, and Brown and Sharpe. Sold most of them to my Dad and another machinist when I...
  9. Gofor

Chris (@Redknife)

Condolences to his family.
  10. Gofor

Double Sided Woodworking Tape

Dunham's resembles a smaller version of Dicks, but also sells guns, ammo and hunting supplies. Some archery, but limited, at least here. They are good for providing coupons on a lot of items.
  11. Gofor

3/4 vs 20mm

I would expect your holdfasts to work fine in a 20mm hole. My holdfasts were made from 3/4" round stock, and were a bit tight in the 3/4" holes which I "wallowed out" some.
  12. Gofor

Matte vs gloss

Henry, you are most likely correct. My thoughts were from what I remember from a technical article I read evaluating coating longevity and efficiency. (It was over 10 years ago and I cannot find it again and to be honest, much of it was over my head). It stuck in my mind, because in the 50+...
  13. Gofor

Double Sided Woodworking Tape

B Is this what you are looking for: Golf Gifts Golfers Tape
  14. Gofor

Matte vs gloss

With clear coats, I too have heard that high gloss is the most clear, and that when going with a final matte finish, it best to build up the coat with gloss, and then use matte for the final coat. Supposedly the gloss will prevent the coating from "muddying" the grain and color as you build up...
  15. Gofor

What type of Shoes to you wear in your Workshop?

Wide width Merrells most of the time. For heavy duty and winter, some composite toe Wolverines. I know composite toes aren't as strong as steel toe, but for a winter boot, they lesson the chance of frost bite, and I am not handling anything heavy enough to require the steel.
  16. Gofor

Making Homemade Stain - Success & Failure

Were these black walnuts in the husk? The husks hold the most stain.
  17. Gofor

Sharpening stones for planes and chisels

There is a YouTube channel: OUTDOOR55, that has some good takes. Geared more to knives than plane tools, but most still apply. He does a lot of macro-photography that shows the results of different techniques, compounds, etc. on the edge.
  18. Gofor

Saw file handle

Beautiful work. Sure beats my "sawed off broom handle" ones!!
  19. Gofor

Drill and Driver Poll

I started my battery tools with DeWalt back in the 12v days. At that time, the brands that seemed to be trustworthy were Makita, Milwaukee, and Dewalt. Ryobis at that time didn't seem to last long, (not just batteries, but the tools themselves wore out). The newer ones seem to be good tools...
  20. Gofor

Removing dental molding

Not sure, but scoring the molding where it connects to the ceiling and wall, removing/replacing it would seem to be almost as quick if not quicker. Removed, you may be able to saw off the dental molding on the table saw and reuse the crown. Guess I am really not a fan of overhead work...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS