Search results

1. 09woodie22

Woodcraft Mail Order

How do you spell bureacracy (??). It is VERY frustrating when you have to chase details like that. I empathize. :no:
  2. 09woodie22

Workshop lighting

Getting a little "light-headed" reading all of this!!! Just a few thoughts -- my shop is similar sized and a contractor put in basic fluorescents for general lighting. In four areas I had him put in suspended halogens, and then add two "solar tubes" for solid sunlight in the shop. Very happy...
  3. 09woodie22

Cordless circular saw

Can't go wrong with a DeWalt. Lotsa good comments posted online. Here is one link that might help (sign up for newsletter and get free shipping)...
  4. 09woodie22

Build a tool box/tote

GREAT idea... should draw a crowd. I had to redo mine since (ignorantly) I made it out of leftover 5/8 ply and a 1" oak handle -- had to weigh 20#. How silly. :rolleyes:
  5. 09woodie22

Tip for cleaning table saw blades.

Wonderful! Tips for retired and underpaid folks on limited budget! T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U. :wwink:
  6. 09woodie22

First time making a tool handle

Fine Woodworking #188, p. 64 -- great article on turning handles for chisels! :thumbs_up
  7. 09woodie22

Spoons turned and carved

Where's the FORK? :rotflm: Absolutely beautiful!
  8. 09woodie22

Hand planes

I'll weigh in a little late... story of my life I think. :rolleyes: I think the best brand/ make is the one you trust and feel comfortable with when using. I get a little obsessed about reclaiming old planes (Stanley, Stanley-Bailey, S Bedrock, Clifton, Sargent VBMs, etc). Years of buying...
  9. 09woodie22

Recent Turnings

I just learned to turn an ordinary bowl... I am just stunned by the beauty of your work. Amazing. It's kinda like a fellow who just built a "dog house" looking at a handcrafted mansion! Wow. :eusa_clap
  10. 09woodie22

Advice on Dust Collection

Trent, This might be of limited value, but I'll toss the 2 cents in anyway. My shop is just slightly larger than yours. I studied dust collection and came up with a minimal solution. Didn't want to run permanent lines since that used up a LOT of space. I did hang a large Grizzly air cleaner...
  11. 09woodie22

Preferred wood choices

Butternut is nice to work with... turns and carves reasonably well. Quarter-sawn oak for furniture pieces. Walnut and cherry a close second for furniture. :roll:
  12. 09woodie22

Bedrock 605 1/2

I'll chime in to try to add something... using sandpaper is definitely the way to go for "quick and easy" as long as you can maintain angles. But for solidly and uniformly finished irons, I vote for the Norton waterstones. However, they do take some time and energy to employ! :rolleyes:
  13. 09woodie22

Check these oak trees out I found on the side of the road!

Oh my gosh! The end tables those would make if cross cut and carefully dried! Probably a few "bow ties" added when they split... but that looks like g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s wood. Maybe a new thread documenting how you get them home!!! :icon_scra
  14. 09woodie22

How do you store turning tools?

"I think that is a very practical solution and I am awe of the "floating" tool holder:rolleyes: Seriously, what is it mounted on? I am guessing that is spins?" Round piece of wood for base with bolt through center with 'thumb screw' on bottom. Loosen thumb screw... turns. Mounted on oak arm...
  15. 09woodie22

Bandsaw question

As a relative "newbie" on the woodworking block I'll add a little about my choosing from a year and a half ago. The process is complicated by a number of factors, especially who is making it/ where it is made. I'm a little compulsive about buying to avoid future regrets. 14" was my choice...
  16. 09woodie22

Selling Most of My Stuff?

Susan -- Lots of wisdom here, and I can't add much. But after about two years of retirement I am THOROUGHLY enjoying taking just one project at a time and perfecting each step. Time isn't a factor. But enjoyment of the woodworking process is central. It took me almost two years to learn...
  17. 09woodie22

New from Greenville, SC

Welcome and please add your expertise to the "shaving pile." If you tell us stuff it isn't like 'insider trading' or something is it? :no:Woodcraft has been my 'go to' place for years; mine is an hour away in Roanoke, VA. Looking forward to hearing from you often.
  18. 09woodie22

How do you store turning tools?

My disclaimer is that I call this "practical." Others call it "cheezy." :D But a little wood, some tubing, and 'wah-lah' you have a selection piece that doesn't take up much space for your turning tools! Oops -- don't know how to turn it in this venue....
  19. 09woodie22

Help choosing a new ROS

Ditto Bill's recommendations -- had the same experience and 6" a pleasant surprise. :wwink:
  20. 09woodie22

Air Cleaners

Just so you understand the level of sophistication I represent -- my first air filter was a floor fan pointed out the door with a 20x20 furnace filter duct taped over it. :eek: Not satisfactory. I sprung for the Griz brand 2-stager that hangs from the ceiling. WOW -- what a difference! I...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS