Search results

1. I

Tic Tac Toe with Unicorns?

Wow! Both of my grandnieces would love one.
  2. I

Woodpecker Slab Mill Questions

I would suggest checking out the 80/20 company extrusions. We have had excellent experience with them. They might make the extrusion cross-section that you are looking for. If not, there is likely one that will work. There my be a local distributor in your area.
  3. I

Anyone Need A Drafting Table??

I picked up an old NACA drafting table at auction. It finds lots of use in the shop as a lightweight, adjustable-height work surface that can be largely folded away when not needed. In full disclosure, I do not remember the last time that mine was not in use for something.
  4. I

Ash Dowels, Danish Cord, and Lineberry Carts

Those ash dowels are a great size for turning Christmas tree ornaments.
  5. I

Your Health or a Loved Ones Health

Around here, we get ads for proton therapy since Hampton U has one. I am wondering if any of your docs discussed proton therapy as an option for the radiation treatment (versus radioactive pellets, x-rays, or ...).
  6. I

If you don't have a riving knife on your old table saw

Lots of good info. Thanks. To this, I would add a reminder to never do what one manufacturer says in their ads with TSs: "We stand behind our work."
  7. I

New member southside virginia

Welcome to NCWW. Speaking as someone on the lower peninsula, I would not have guessed that Blackstone is southside. lol
  8. I

Murphy bed desk

I haven't seen them recently, but I recall seeing builds for wall-mounted, folding workbenches. That might be an alternative place to look for design ideas.
  9. I

What moron designed this!

From the website: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC3500SE.html it looks like their marketing pic for the set has the same problem with the wrench. It is a pain to take the jaws off to store the chuck in the case, but the assumption seems to be that, if you are putting it in the case, then...
  10. I

Wanted - 2 1/4" plane iron

Lee Valley carries the Hock 2-1/4" replacement blades. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/tools/hock-tools/hock-replacement-plane-blades A2 is showing in-stock. O1 is showing out-of-stock with expected availability end of Feb. They don't seem to offer replacement 2-1/4" blades in PM-V11.
  11. I

Looking for a local woodturning group

My geography skills are weak. Here are the AAW Chapters in NC: Brasstown Woodturners Guild Brasstown NC United States Website: Brasstown Woodturners Guild – Chapter Member, American Association of Woodturners Carolina Mountain Woodturners Asheville NC United States Website...
  12. I

A Christmas gift and my first SOLO turned project

That is _so_ much better than my first solo effort. :) Thanks for sharing both the piece and the back story. For what it might be worth, when I am making something with a long straight section (like a carving mallet taper or a constant-diameter rolling pin), once I get the shape close, I use...
  13. I

Woodturning Beginner

I absolutely agree if you like the fingernail (aka Irish) grind. I do. There are several pro turners (Stuart Batty and Ashley Harwood, among others) who are advocating a 40-40 grind that is hard to do with a jig. They do it with a good tool rest and draw lines on the table to help them hit the...
  14. I

Woodturning Beginner

For free hand sharpening, you get a lot of help from a good tool rest. Unfortunately the RoboRest is out of production. Reed Grey sold the rights, but the new owner does not seem to have any hurry putting it back in production. The Lee Valley rest and the Oneway rest are both good quality. If...
  15. I

Woodturning Beginner

Lots of different approaches to sharpening. I have spent money on many of them. ;-) The WorkSharp is a lot easier to use for sharpening flat chisels and plane blades than it is for gouges (turning or carving). The slow speed 8" grinder with the Oneway sharpening jig system is what I keep going...
  16. I

finish advise for small turned items, (bottle stoppers, small handles, etc)

Buffing systems are a good way to launch small turned pieces across the room. Wear a faceshield at the buffer just as you would at the lathe. Also, most buffing wheels do not reach into tight grooves or coves. So, doing your finish on the lathe through finishing and buffing is a good idea. With...
  17. I

Delta 6"x 48" Belt Sander - $150 (Broad Creek) GONE

That seems like a decent price even with the damage to the shroud from the belt that walked left. My 6"x48" belt sander gets used a lot when I am doing spindle turning to clean up the marks from the drive.
  18. I

Furniture Plans

I found the online index to the Woodsmith magazine issues when I was looking for some plans: https://www.woodsmithlibrary.com/index/A/ Woodsmith is currently offering online access to the magazine archives for ~$79 and, for another $20, you can also get a USB stick for offline reading. If I...
  19. I

Grizzly lathe recall

Matt, thanks for that link
  20. I

Woodworker’s Supply going out of business

Closes tomorrow (Friday) at midnight. I wasted a bunch of time finding stuff to buy, but you cannot check out if you do not have a PayPal account.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS