Search results

1. tjgreen

Quandary & Conundrum: flatten back of a chisel

Jim, I'd be surprised if you get it perfect, but it seems like you could get it closer than it is now, close enough so you can grind it flat without losing much width. If you are looking for a forge/anvil/blacksmithing setup in Hillsborough, PM me and I'll send you my dad's info, he's got...
  2. tjgreen

are these any good

:thumbs_do I have a couple of the Irwins as well. I will not be purchasing more. In between a bar clamp and a spring clamp, and a poor substitute for both. EDIT: IMHO :)
  3. tjgreen

Opening Finish Cans

Dang. This is my "why didn't I think of that?" moment for the month. My channel locks need no longer be stored on the wall beneath my solvents/finishes cabinet.
  4. tjgreen

Spiders

You might try a swath of Sevin dust in front of the door, I used it a few years back when the millipedes were especially bad and it did a number on them. Too bad on the adverse reaction - as someone once said, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Spiders earn their keep by eating so many other...
  5. tjgreen

HF lathe on sale

FWIW - $80 off this week, $220 vs $300. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html
  6. tjgreen

Pie Safe - Finished

Looks great, except for all those mistakes :). +1 for more pics and a tutorial on punching tin.
  7. tjgreen

Shaping pine or time travel, which is more likely?

Stanley surform or similar micro-plane? Or would that suffer the same fate as the rasp? They make curved surforms, I've seen them at Ace.
  8. tjgreen

MWTCA Meeting in Raleigh July 24th

I've got a fever! And the only cure is more hand tools! Speaking of timber frames, some day I WILL take this class and build myself a Thoreau cabin. http://www.shelterinstitute.com/timberclass.htm EDIT: forgot to ask - do you have to be a member?
  9. tjgreen

Thread box and tap for wood screws?

A 2" tap might be hard to come by, and even harder to cut with. I have a better idea - you could buy a lathe and learn to chase threads. I'm just full of good ideas today.
  10. tjgreen

Thread box and tap for wood screws?

If you want to get creative, Roy did a show a few years back on making a screw box using an old file: http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2700/2704.html
  11. tjgreen

Flat work

Nice work Earl. Where'd you get the mechanism?
  12. tjgreen

Re-sawing by hand--frame saws?

After reading this thread, I grabbed a dull old yard sale handsaw from the wall, filed it to rip, and spent part of my Father's Day resawing a block of cherry. Granted it needs a lot of practice - after the first 1/2" one I made the rest a bit thicker to give me plenty of room to plane to 3/8" -...
  13. tjgreen

Schwarz Workbench and SYP

Tom, do you mean just as hard as hard maple, or just as hard as SYP? From reserch on my hardwood floor, I vaguely remember that soft maple was about as hard as SYP, but as I recall hard maple was quite a bit harder than either.
  14. tjgreen

Should router be my next buy?

Can't go wrong with a table saw - one of the most versatile tools in the shop. It'll do a much better job than your jigsaw on cutting a straight line (so would your circular saw btw, just clamp a guide to sheet goods for long cuts, and for crosscuts use a speed square). You can build jigs to let...
  15. tjgreen

General woodworking advice

Been there done that, but on drawer fronts. Are they shop cabinets or kitchen cabinets? If shop, I think I would put a glue-line blade in the saw, cut a 2" strip from the center of each, then reglue them. Then every time I opened that cabinet, I'd be reminded that I'm not as smart as I think I...
  16. tjgreen

Thanks all, great advice. I need to spend more time on the download library, went there to look at bench plans and got terribly distracted. I've got a number of 2x4s and 2x8s on hand already from various projects, will go through it and see what's usable. Sifted the pile at HD enough to know...
  17. tjgreen

I love this site - it's amazing how often a post comes along just in time. I've also been wondering about a bench on a budget using framing lumber. Bas, that's one great-looking bench. Couple questions for you. -Did you work off your own plan or someone else's? -What size are the legs...
  18. tjgreen

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all the guys who started us out on the path that led us here. I read an article recently about a study on fathers that showed that fathers, much more than mothers, teach their kids to be curious, to push boundaries and take chances, to try new things. My father was good at...
  19. tjgreen

Stanley Sweetheart Planes

Haven't tried one of the newer SWs so can't comment. As far as which to get, if you only own one, I'd go low-angle 60 1/2 since it's more versatile - it'll still work with and across the grain, but a lot better on end grain.
  20. tjgreen

saw sharpening files

Yeah, they're easy to find online, but generally costs as much to ship as the file. Just wanted to pass on a possible cheap local source.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS