Search results

1. M

Itty Bitty Shop

Well, after spending the last almost 6 years building a recording studio, I finally have finished it, and am now turning my attention to my wood shop. It's gonna have to suffer along as a long term project as I can afford to do things... like a proper dust collection system, good lighting...
  2. M

Christmas Wish List

I know I'm gonna get hit with it from everyone in the fambly... "Whatchu want for Christmas gran'pa'?" Well... this year, gramp's, (grumps, as my grand-daughter used to say) has a potential single request for the first time... I'm hoping someone can enlighten me about a Biesemeyer (or suggest...
  3. M

Jatoba T&G

I've got a major task in front of me, that I sure could use some sage advice on. I'm about ready to start hanging about 1000 bd ft of 3.25" wide T&G Jatoba flooring on my walls. Uh huh, you didn't misread that... on my walls. :rotflm: I wish it was straight forward solid wall application...
  4. M

Woodtek Clamps 50% off

Wandered in to Woodworker's Supply yesterday to pick up a coupla' things, and as usual, walked out with more than I should. They have almost all of the Woodtek clamps at 50% off! I snagged a pair of the heavy duty (1.25" wide bar) 16" clamps for $17. I think the sale has been on for a coupla'...
  5. M

Fruit/Nut Trees

I know this isn't quite wood working, but seeing as it's wood related, I'm hoping someone can help... I need to find a good arborist... SOON! We have several different varieties of fruit trees on our property... apples, sourwood cherries, persimmon, peach and pear. There's also several walnut...
  6. M

Free to Good Home

I'm probably getting to be notorious for posting in the wrong forum. If I've managed to be a dummy again, please move this to the correct forum. In about a week or three, I'm going to have a BUNCH of scrap wood to get rid of. Mostly red oak, but some cedar, and a little bit of walnut. Most of...
  7. M

Working with Walnut - LOTS of questions

I have a good supply of walnut that I'm going to be making several things from. While I'm not a complete idiot, I'm not a master craftsman, by any stretch of the imagination, either. Here's the schedule of things I'm planning on making.... Basic 1x3 and 1x6 trim A custom "desk" that is...
  8. M

Red Oak Gloatin'-n-Hollerin'-n-Cussin'

I know it's been awhile since I checked in and all... But I've been a tad busy... This is all FS and QS Red Oak from the last Raleigh Lumber Run... plus a bit of oak from here off of my property. It's been one heck of a battle doing this by myself, but I'm finally getting close to...
  9. M

Coffered Ceiling Advice

I'm thinking of building a coffered ceiling in one of my rooms, but I've never built one, or seen one done. My guess is that I should screw something like a 1x to the ceiling, and then build the boxing. Once the boxing is in place, then add any finish trim. [edit] I forgot the minor detail...
  10. M

Gloat, Cussin' an' a plea for HELP!

I hope it's ok to post this here... if not, I apologize and I'd appreciate the mod's moving it to the right forum... or the trash bin if it's more appropriate. I know it's been a long while since I've even posted... but I've been just a tad busy with a few thingy's... This is where I started...
  11. M

Red Oak; Need a Twist

I've been pretty well occupied with hanging gypsum in the studio for the last couple of weeks, but now I'm finally seeing the end of the construction process!! WOOO HOOOO! I'll soon start the process of planing and jointing about 1400 bd ft of red oak to be installed on the walls and ceiling...
  12. M

About ready for some sawdust action...

(OOOPS... My apologies... this should have probably been posted in the Wood Forum) Sorry I've been rather absent of late... but building this recording studio has proven to be quite a bit more than I had thought it would be. (When people commit to helping, and then don't, you slow down when...
  13. M

Looking for porta-sawmill worker

You know... sometimes I think I'd loose my head is if wasn't attached... When I was google-ing and found this wonderful group of sawdust makers, I was actually looking for two things... Some advice on my lumber I had sawn up a coupla of years ago and to hopefully locate someone who would be...
  14. M

Looking for scrollworker... I Think

I pose this as a question because I'm kinda' ignern't when it comes to so many aspects of wood working, so please forgive me if I have it wrong... What I am looking for is someone who can transfer a logo from artwork and fashion it into wood. The logo is fairly complicated. It's a pair of pine...
  15. M

Need 2x10 finish grade... LOTS of em'!

If I'm posting in the wrong spot... please let me know. I'm in a bit of a panic looking for finish grade 2x10's. (NOT framing lumber.) These are for the door jambs in the recording studio... The doors are extremely heavy; Solid core door, 3-4 layers of 1/32" sheet lead, 3/4" MDF, two layers of...
  16. M

How Much Power?

In talking with my electrical contractor today, we're going to do some trenching to get power out to a couple of HVAC units, and isolation transformer and power to a small electronics shop. He suggested that while we're trenching, that we go ahead and trench all the way to the new woodshop. My...
  17. M

How dry is dry?

I've got a good bit of red oak, cedar, walnut and some maple that was taken down on our property. I had it sawed into 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 and a couple of 3" oak slabs. (and a couple big slabs of cedar) I stickered it and let it air dry in what was to become my recording studio for about a year. A...
  18. M

Hello from Graham!

Hello everyone! WOW!! This place is a hidden jewel that I'm really glad to find! I make little claim at being much more than a sawdust maker, but I'm certain that I can learn from the talented folks here. A bit about me... I've always appreciated antiques and I guess I got the bug a few...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS