Search results

1. B

Working Wood in the 18th Century Conference

Wish I could make this, but couldn’t get the time off work. Have wanted to go for years!
  2. B

Queen Anne Desk

Superb job…and I very much appreciate your inclusion of David Pye’s wise words.
  3. B

Too many chisels

I might be able to help…I sent you a PM
  4. B

Need 8/4 rough cypress

Robert Marasco in Burgaw. I have bought a good bit of cypress from him. +1 (910) 538-6749
  5. B

Old Rose Wood Piano Needs Woodworker to Give it New Life

Thanks for the explanation and education! I always enjoy learning about niche crafts and such. I suppose I just hate the idea of throwing something away because it’s “not worth fixing”…especially something like a piano. But I get it…like a vehicle, some repairs overcome the cost of a replacement...
  6. B

That’s seems absurd. If you were closer to Raleigh I would say try Ruggero Piano. I am not familiar with the shops in your area, but it seems fixable. By chance did the tuning shop offer to buy the piano?
  7. B

Check out the Antique Piano Shop…they specialize in restoring antiques and appear to have a niche for square pianos. I enjoy browsing their website from time to time. https://antiquepianoshop.com/square-grand-pianos/
  8. B

Asheville- Scrounger’s Paradise

Looks like a good find for the rare and unique
  9. B

Where to go in Raleigh

If you like plants/trees check out the JC Raulston Arboretum. Free and can easily burn a couple hours. The history museum is also free, and is a nice way to spend some time, especially if the weather isn't agreeable.
  10. B

Japanese Hand Plane?

Interesting. It is on the small side, in terms of Japanese smoothing planes…more along the lines of a block plane size in with regards to the blades width, but that’s completely fine. Most of my Japanese smoothin planes are between 60-70mm…so 2.3-2.75”. But like I said, completely fine that...
  11. B

Japanese Hand Plane?

The steel rod would only be needed if a chip breaker was being used. I suspect this dai was made to use without a chip breaker.
  12. B

Japanese Hand Plane?

Are you interested in sharpening/using it?
  13. B

Japanese Hand Plane?

Try putting a piece of paper over it and shading over it with a pencil…might pick up the markings better. I should be able to get you a translation and possible the blacksmiths name, depending on how it is marked. What does the cutting end look like? And how wide is the blade? Lee
  14. B

Japanese Hand Plane?

And if you get the blade cleaned up and find markings…please post photos! The back of the blade will have a hollow ground area, called a ura…if you decide to sharpen this, do not remove this area. BML
  15. B

Japanese Hand Plane?

It is for sure a Japanese plane…aka a “kanna”. The plane body, or “dai”, might have a marking on the front, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t. The blade will usually have some engraved markings on one or both sides. Looks like you’ll have to clean it up to see about the markings...
  16. B

1782 Stockburger Farmhouse Renovation

My wife and I’s dream is to find an 18th century home to restore. Maybe one day…in the meantime, I’ll enjoy watching this.
  17. B

Queen Anne Desk

I love the build so far and love that you made the plane as well!
  18. B

Queen Anne Desk

I love wood working with a historical context…looking forward to updates.
  19. B

Small wood steamer for bending wood.

glad to find this information, as I am looking to build a steamer for some leather clamps.
  20. B

Mortise & Tenons

I’d agree that it depends largely on what you will be building.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS