Search results

1. R

Rash after cleaning table saw top

Did you, by any chance, trim fig trees a day earlier? I got a very similar looking rash from the sap/roots. Took a day or two to show up.
  2. R

Coin inlay with Epoxy

A small hole drilled through the base beneath the coin would allow any trapped air to escape
  3. R

Compound Angles

If I understand correctly, the 60deg cuts you show on n the first pic are an intended as a scarf feature so the joint does not gap when the wood shrinks. If that is correct, I don’t believe the scarf can be made to work at anything other than 180deg between the pieces. What Pop-pop said may be...
  4. R

Just a thought... Clearing the your browser cache/history (or if it is being cleared automatically) will cause the login to be lost.
  5. R

Garage Electrical Advice

It is my understanding that HARDWIRED applications in a garage do not require CFCI protection.
  6. R

Recommend Chisels

Sorry for the long wind, in advance. I have both the Schaaf and Narex Classic chisels (NOT Richter) mentioned in some of the above posts. I had already ordered the Narex set from Lee Valley when the Schaaf set was offered at the incredible price of $19.50 for the set of four, so I had to get...
  7. R

Free Wood-Spoken For

I will take it all if not otherwise spoken for. Now to figure out how to send PM.
  8. R

WTB: enclosed trailer

If you are still looking… Came across this on Facebook. Don’t know if price is good or bad but otherwise seems to hit all of your buttons. It is in Monroe, NC. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/772168567355235/?mibextid=6ojiHh
  9. R

220 volt extension cord

I run my 3hp/220v unisaw on a 10ft extension in the winter when I move my saw to allow parking for a car. I have not had any problems. I think my cord is #12. You may need to hunt some to find the appropriate male and female ends.
  10. R

Third Type of Lights

It generally involves rewiring the fixture such that the ballast is bypassed (removed). It is not especially difficult but is probably not for you if electricity is a nervous issue.
  11. R

Third Type of Lights

I find my old eyes function better with the ‘daylight’ LEDs. And the more watts, the better.
  12. R

Heat treating question

My knowledge comes mostly from the ‘Forged in Fire’ TV show and an engineering background but I believe the heat treatment (heat/quench) is absolutely necessary in order to have a hard edge. It is not necessary to treat the entire blade, just the working area.
  13. R

Wood ID please

I’ll weigh in with my own guess: Butternut. Although the internet suggests it may not be native to my area (30 mi SE of Charlotte) so I wonder why it would be cut for firewood.
  14. R

Wood ID please

Found this log on the roadside and think it may be good for spoons but I’d like to know what it is. The 12 inch diameter by 12 inch log weighs 40-50lbs and is quite hard. Images are QS grain, bark, and end grain. Thanks for looking.
  15. R

Calculating Location of Grooves on Cylinder

if you have an indexing ring on your lathe, the easiest way would be to use it to make layout marks 45 degrees apart (360/8). Lacking that, the spacing can be calculated as 3.14 times diameter divided by 8. The spacing is measured on the surface of the cylinder.
  16. R

TS Throat Plates With Slide In Inserts

The above referenced link...
  17. R

Any way to retrofit an older Delta tablesaw to riving knife?

I bought my unisaw second hand. It had neither a splitter nor blade guard. After an ‘incident’ I bought a ARK / shark guard kit and have never regretted it. I don’t use the saw every day but do not find its manual operation to be a burden. I looked at the price recently and can only say ouch...
  18. R

Workbench leveler leg?

Bear in mind that three points define a plane, so unless you are concerned that the bench be perfectly level, only one leg needs to be adjustable
  19. R

Remove black stains on oak

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try barkeepers friend first as I can get it nearby. Oxalic acid is also available but 30 min away.
  20. R

Remove black stains on oak

I recently changed out my old style surface mount cabinet door hinges with concealed hinges. I would like to fill the now exposed screw holes with a color matched putty but there are black stains around some of the holes that limits how well the putty covers. (Photo) Is there a way to lessen...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS