Any way to retrofit an older Delta tablesaw to riving knife?

SamInDurm

New User
Sam
I have a Delta 10 in. contractor saw that I bought used years ago and works great for my needs. The one thing that I don't like about it is that it has a fixed height splitter instead of a riving knife that would rise and lower with the saw blade height.

I can't see a way to fix this problem without buying a different saw but maybe someone out there knows a solution?

Thanks,
Sam

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Not really, you can fit a splitter to it but the main issue disallowing a riving attachment is the blade swings on a pivot which means the riving will not ascend evenly. Look at newer saw the whole assembly ride on a front and back riser mechanism.
I have a Unisaw I have a splitter, but TBH, I spent my entire life without a riving knife on a table saw, you plan and cut with that in mind.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I don't know of an aftermarket riving knife for a contractor saw. Shark sells a low profile 'shorty' splitter that sticks up ~3/4" above the table and they have different versions for different saws for attaching them. It can be removed or replaced in about 10 seconds but the only time it needs to come off is when using the dado set.
1_Splitter.JPG
2_Splitter.JPG
4_Splitter.JPG

RickR

Rick
Senior User
I bought my unisaw second hand. It had neither a splitter nor blade guard. After an ‘incident’ I bought a ARK / shark guard kit and have never regretted it. I don’t use the saw every day but do not find its manual operation to be a burden. I looked at the price recently and can only say ouch! That said it is a good system.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors