Search results

1. G

Ridgid R4512 Riving knife/splitter question

I have this saw, and what I think the manual means is not that it is unlocked, but rather that the black splitter can be in multiple positions. If you play with it a bit, you’ll notice it has 2 positions it wants to stop at. I usually just take it off if I am cutting dados or other non-through cuts.
  2. G

Dust collection in a small shop

You can definitely get a system for under $1300. Not sure what part of NC but I see dust collectors on CLT Craigslist fairly regularly for $200-$300 I built mine out of a Grizzly 3 hp unit with pvc sewer pipe. Which works well ( but fittings don’t always fit perfectly on pvc, so much...
  3. G

Collapsed pail

I’m not sure on the fixing this bucket. Main hook up the blower side of the shop vac and cap an end to re expand it? Being careful not to burn out the motor. I’ve seen similar issues prevented by making a plywood ring to go in the center which would keep it from collapsing. Not sure if that...
  4. G

Miter Saw Recommendations?

Thanks Martin! I hadn’t looked in a while. Good to know I have other options. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. G

Miter Saw Recommendations?

I’m interested to hear the responses. I have a 12” Rigid slider and it’s ok. Mostly I use it for cutting rough lumber down to more reasonable sizes prior to milling. I have considered the Bosch mainly because that is the only one besides the festool that doesn’t have bars that stick out the...
  6. G

12in Shopsmith Planner - $200

I just got upgraded to a grizzly 15” from one of these. It was ok. I liked it better than lunchbox, but worse than a 15” that I have now. My biggest problem was I had sharpen the blade often, and found myself not working on a project cause I knew the first hour would e sharpening the plane...
  7. G

Powermatic jointer

Here a video from the wood whisperer explaining a similar process. https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/milling-wide-boards/ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. G

Powermatic jointer

I just went through this buying a planer(not the same but similar) and from the research and looking I did, they ALL looked identical to me other than the paint color. Pretty confident they are all made in the same 3 factories, regardless of the brand. There may be a few differences like nicer...
  9. G

Wincester Plane Replacement Blades

I put just a bit of teflon tape on the end which gave it some resistance. I was able to get some nice shavings! Thank you guys for all your help! My last question is about the lateral adjuster, do you guys have any tips/tricks for stiffening that up? I feel like I adjust it to be square, but...
  10. G

Progress! I have the adjustment nut free! I can't thank you guys enough! I didn't know the nut was supposed to spin freely. Last question...maybe: Is there anything you put on the side of the threaded rod that goes into the frog that keeps if from turning? Teflon tape or Loctite blue maybe...
  11. G

Oh! That must be it then. The adjuster nut is definitely seized on the threaded rod. When I turn the nut eventually the entire assembly (adjustment nut + threaded rod) come out of the frog. The picture of the plane in my previous post is right before they come out. Anyone have tips on how...
  12. G

Shop Apron

I have been thinking about a new apron myself. I have a Rockler fabric one which has lots of pockets, but I love the idea of mesh bottoms. I think there is probably about 1 lb of saw dust in the big pockets right now. Flaps are also interesting. I really like having things close, but I...
  13. G

I think what I am asking is: Is it possible to move the brass knob forward or back on the threaded rod? As I look at the threaded rod on the plane in the pictures, there is less sticking out the back (towards the handle side) than mine. It would see that it should be possible, but I couldn't...
  14. G

How did you go about making the adjustment knob longer? The if I take out the adjustment knob and move the blade w/ my hands it has room to move before the screw which connects the cap iron to the blade bottoms out. There is more threaded rod coming through the knob, and if there was a way to...
  15. G

Wow, thanks everyone for the responses. I measured mine some calipers, and it's 3.7305" from the end of the iron to the cutout for the adjustment tab. The distance between the tab and the threaded hole is 0.5" I'm not sure the proper measurement for this plane. I'm pretty surprised that it...
  16. G

Thanks for all the replies! I should have known Rob Cosman would have a video for just this thing. 1) I've attached some more pictures of the parts. 2) I played with the frog a bunch and moved it forward and backwards many times. Any way you do it, i can't get the blade to protrude.
  17. G

I have a Wincester Plane labeled #3005. I think I am in need of a new blade. I am unable to get the blade to extend out of the mouth without the chip breaker being a quarter inch up the blade which leads me to believe the blade is just out of sharpenings. Does anyone know if a hock blade...
  18. G

Lumber for dining room table

If you are looking for S4S, then Moulding Source is 100% your best bet. Wurth Wood group by the airport is pretty convenient in terms of location, and has lots of different plywoods and rough lumber. However they are only open M-F from like 7-4 during the day, which can make it challenging to...
  19. G

Attaching table top to base

If you've got a biscuit jointer, you could probably use that to cut the slots. Regardless of your slot cutting method, make sure to take care and cut the slot the right distance from the top. Too far, and it won't go in. Too close and the top will be loose and slide around. Alternately, you...
  20. G

Productivity and Accuracy

Donn, 2 things to check out if you are making a sled: 1) It's important the sled square. Check out William Ng's video on the 5 cut method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbG-n--LFgQ 2) This instructable about the super sled...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors