Resource icon

Hammer Jointer-Planer A3 31 Cutter Upgrade to Byrd Shelix Head 2023-12-07

No permission to download
After a LOT of research, I had some info where the most helpful was a document where a Hammer C3-31 had been upgraded. Thus, I started with this, very quickly I realized that it was a good reference but LOTS of differences. To hopefully eliminate serious issues I started to document my process.
There were two phases to my process. First I translated the parts diagram and because I'm a bit anal about some things I spent a lot of time correcting minor document issues. The second was the actual procedure. Because I was taking a LOT of pictures and creating hand-written notes all of which were then placed in a Word document. All of this took a LOT of time.
The entire process was spread over two weeks where I spent about a week on each phase.
Because I'm well over the hill in age, I do take breaks more often than when I was younger.
Because the completed document consists of 39 pages I have attached the completed document in PDF format.
Comments/suggestions/donations would be appreciated.

For me, it is/was well worth the upgrade. The cut is SUPER smooth, much quieter and the wood goes through much easier. I think with my instructions it is very doable and highly likely you could complete the process in under 4 hours. Also, I think almost any woodworker can do the upgrade. BTW it takes 3-4 weeks to receive the head after you order. Byrd does not have them sitting on the shelf waiting to be shipped.
Because I spent soooooo much time in the documentation phase it is very difficult to determine how much time I spent on the upgrade itself. Also because I did not have an accurate road map I went down a few paths that just sucked up a LOT of time.
I agree that labeling/bagging all the parts did take extra time but during the reassembly, I discovered it was SOOOOOO much easier to find ALL the darn parts I needed for a step. At the end of the reassembly, there were NO Missing or Extra parts! YEA!!!

The reinstall was much faster mainly because I could reference the install. For the most part, it was the reverse of the uninstall of the old head but I did make a few minor changes to the flow.
The total cost of the head was about $960, I ordered the bearings (they were pressed on by Byrd), some extra cutters, and extra screws.
Because I now have a larger shop, "IF" I did not have the A3-31, I would get a 20" planer and a separate joiner (I think, at least that is my current thought). However, I'm very happy with what I have.

Originally I posted this in the forum at Need info, installing a Byrd Shelix head on a Hammer A3-31
Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or need help with your upgrade.
Author
jgt1942
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS