Inexpensive portable woodworking vise

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
After working with the inexpensive dumbbell screws on the Moxon vise, I wondered if I could design a “get started” vise for new woodworker who didn’t have much money to spare. Here is what I came up with:
3FB029BA-469A-4FBB-BADF-D7C36FCB7A1B.jpeg
4B39EE1A-AB8F-4975-98CB-3B2DF92FA33A.jpeg

The vise is just under 18” tall and can be clamped to a workbench, a picnic table, the porch rail at your country place, etc. Since the vise’s operation in unconventional, I made a 2 1/2 minute video but get a “too large for the server to process” message when I try to upload it. Anyone know a way around this limit?

So, here goes an explanation in words rather than video:

Place your work between the chop and the fixed jaw.
Slide the chop to hold the work.
Spin the top nut to take up the slack.
Turn the bottom nut to tighten the chop.

72071310-ABB1-4F1A-AD3C-E6766889C0AE.jpeg

The raw materials are:
Walmart - Two 14” dumbbell handles @ $6.87 each
Walmart - HDPE cutting board @ $9.97 (Home Goods had one for under $5)
AutoZone - Cork-rubber gasket material @ $6.99

The wood was “QSSYP”, an SYP 2x12 (from a BORG) that was center cut from the tree. Then “rip the pith out of it” to get 4-1/2” wide boards.

The net is a capable woodworking vise for $30 or so and an easy weekend build.

I have been using one for a couple of weeks now and the the unnatural action quickly becomes natural.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
WOW, you definitely are the man with many vises. Nice build Mike!!
And I appreciate the source info, as I have brought in some heavy walnut for the dovetail vise(sometime)

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, try uploading your video to your photo gallery, and then see if you can link it to the post

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I've never seen that one! Jay Bates has a leg vise design which uses a scaffold leveling screw - big and inexpensive. But I've never seen a dumbell bar used.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Very nice. Since I have the screw and nut from your Moxon vise, should I do up a plan for this? You could send me your dimensions in a PM.

Pretty soon, though we'll have to put together a book titled Pop-Pop's Illustrated Book of Dumbbell Vises. :D

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Mike, try uploading your video to your photo gallery, and then see if you can link it to the post

That was the first workaround that I tried and got the exact same error msg.

I’ll make a shorter video (hopefully) tomorrow.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Looks great! Thanks for sharing. We could do this as a workshop is there is interest.

And most unnatural action become natural when you do it enough. :oops:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Let me know if we have the video to load to YoutTube
I gave up on a video for now since the .MOV files that my iPad makes are not universal enough. Also, the format conversion utilities did not work for me
either.
————————————————————————————————————

Here is how to use the vise:

The nuts will rotate several turns if you give them a flick.

Slide the chop against the work and give the top nut a flick or two so that the nut is just snug and the chop is more or less vertical.

7C9F2334-62C2-4C36-979B-1594B48E00A8.jpeg

Next, flick the bottom nut against the HDPE bearing, then 3-4 partial turns will secure your work. There is a mechanical advantage of a little over 2:1 using the bottom nut for the final securing of your work. Note that tightening the bottom nut increases the chop toe-in which is the opposite of most vises.

96D511A9-CE29-4549-9D8C-0B6406BD9F19.jpeg

Loosen the bottom nut to release your work.

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
We could do this as a workshop is there is interest.

In order to get a sense of the suitability of this unorthodox vise design for a workshop, I would like to get usage impressions from some members in the Research Triangle area.

If you would like to use this high vise in your shop for a while and report your impressions, I would appreciate it.

I have two vises ready for user testing. If you are interested, please PM me and I will deliver a vise to your shop.

TIA!

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
If you would like to use this high vise in your shop for a while and report your impressions, I would appreciate it.
I have two vises ready for user testing. If you are interested, please PM me and I will deliver a vise to your shop.

No takers so far so I’m changing the offer. But first, here is my duty vise that uses a Benchcrafted Criss-Cross. It’s clamped in my End vise and quickly removed when I need the end vise for something else. A high vise like this puts work at elbow height that is convenient for many operations, especially sawing and paring.
956CB42C-9388-4A9E-9E41-36A9CB0CBD3B.jpeg

The two high vises that I made using dumbbell screws were an exercise to make a really inexpensive vise that was still good enough for woodworking.

D00ACAE4-BF82-485D-B0DE-05E09E1D316D.jpeg

I still would like some user feedback.

If you would be willing to try a vise in your shop for a while, update me on its pluses and minuses, and the vise works for you, then you can keep it for free (I have too many vises).

PM if interested. RTP area preferred since shipping one would cost more than building one.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would like to get on to use and also show during the upcoming Raleigh shop crawl on December 7

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS