Dovetail saw blade angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Hello,

Was thinking about having a local sharpening service take a 40T general purpose blade (never used) that came with my table saw and have it ground for cutting dovetails. I'm guessing he can do it or, I will let him try to see if he can.

I use an Incra V27 miter guage that has stops every 5 degrees. To make this as simple as possible, I was thinking of 10 degrees which would be close to 1:6 dovetail. I don't have to use the stops but for repeatability purposes, it would be nice.

Is 10 degrees OK?

TIA

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As Mike said, 10-15* would work just fine. Whatever looks right to your eye is the key. Just for reference, 1:6 is generally considered for soft wood, and 1:8 is for hardwood. I consider that a "rule of thumb" rather than a mandate. Also, if I remember correctly my dovetail router bits are at a 14* angle. Just FYI.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Was thinking about having a local sharpening service take a 40T general purpose blade (never used) that came with my table saw and have it ground for cutting dovetails.

How is that done to a table saw blade (and I don't do dovetails either). I understand dovetail angles but don't understand the blade stuff versus hand cut dovetails. :dontknow:

Open the "tech" link for a better view of the angle views.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=49424&cat=1

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Hello,

Was thinking about having a local sharpening service take a 40T general purpose blade (never used) that came with my table saw and have it ground for cutting dovetails. I'm guessing he can do it or, I will let him try to see if he can.

I use an Incra V27 miter guage that has stops every 5 degrees. To make this as simple as possible, I was thinking of 10 degrees which would be close to 1:6 dovetail. I don't have to use the stops but for repeatability purposes, it would be nice.

Is 10 degrees OK?

TIA

All of these pins are cut using an 8:1 ratio which translates to 7-8 degrees. I use the TS to cut pins occasionally but I don't use the power tools much to get the joints I like.

Blade? Any sharp rip blade will cut smoothly for you. You don't have to do any cosmic geometry.

DSC079921.JPG

box_bottoms_001.JPG

DSC080021.JPG

20_Mar_2016_Lin_Press_091.JPG

tdukes

New User
Eddie
As Mike said, 10-15* would work just fine. Whatever looks right to your eye is the key. Just for reference, 1:6 is generally considered for soft wood, and 1:8 is for hardwood. I consider that a "rule of thumb" rather than a mandate. Also, if I remember correctly my dovetail router bits are at a 14* angle. Just FYI.

Thanks, I have read that but kinda confused. I read that there's no difference in strength: http://www.rockler.com/how-to/angle-dovetail-affect-strength-joint/

But, I think I read that it does make a difference when putting the joint together. Something about compressing the fiber in softwood v. hardwood. Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS