Dovetail saw blade angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Hello,

Was thinking about having a local sharpening service take a 40T general purpose blade (never used) that came with my table saw and have it ground for cutting dovetails. I'm guessing he can do it or, I will let him try to see if he can.

I use an Incra V27 miter guage that has stops every 5 degrees. To make this as simple as possible, I was thinking of 10 degrees which would be close to 1:6 dovetail. I don't have to use the stops but for repeatability purposes, it would be nice.

Is 10 degrees OK?

TIA

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As Mike said, 10-15* would work just fine. Whatever looks right to your eye is the key. Just for reference, 1:6 is generally considered for soft wood, and 1:8 is for hardwood. I consider that a "rule of thumb" rather than a mandate. Also, if I remember correctly my dovetail router bits are at a 14* angle. Just FYI.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Was thinking about having a local sharpening service take a 40T general purpose blade (never used) that came with my table saw and have it ground for cutting dovetails.

How is that done to a table saw blade (and I don't do dovetails either). I understand dovetail angles but don't understand the blade stuff versus hand cut dovetails. :dontknow:

Open the "tech" link for a better view of the angle views.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=49424&cat=1

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Hello,

Was thinking about having a local sharpening service take a 40T general purpose blade (never used) that came with my table saw and have it ground for cutting dovetails. I'm guessing he can do it or, I will let him try to see if he can.

I use an Incra V27 miter guage that has stops every 5 degrees. To make this as simple as possible, I was thinking of 10 degrees which would be close to 1:6 dovetail. I don't have to use the stops but for repeatability purposes, it would be nice.

Is 10 degrees OK?

TIA

All of these pins are cut using an 8:1 ratio which translates to 7-8 degrees. I use the TS to cut pins occasionally but I don't use the power tools much to get the joints I like.

Blade? Any sharp rip blade will cut smoothly for you. You don't have to do any cosmic geometry.

DSC079921.JPG

box_bottoms_001.JPG

DSC080021.JPG

20_Mar_2016_Lin_Press_091.JPG

tdukes

New User
Eddie
As Mike said, 10-15* would work just fine. Whatever looks right to your eye is the key. Just for reference, 1:6 is generally considered for soft wood, and 1:8 is for hardwood. I consider that a "rule of thumb" rather than a mandate. Also, if I remember correctly my dovetail router bits are at a 14* angle. Just FYI.

Thanks, I have read that but kinda confused. I read that there's no difference in strength: http://www.rockler.com/how-to/angle-dovetail-affect-strength-joint/

But, I think I read that it does make a difference when putting the joint together. Something about compressing the fiber in softwood v. hardwood. Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors