Trestle table and benches

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
For those of you who have followed my projects I would like to show the end results of the walnut table and pair of benches. They were delivered to my son and his wife a couple of weeks ago. They are solid walnut with the exception of the dowel that you will see on the leg assembly. I will order a walnut dowel as time approaches for my table to be made. There is a breadboard on each end, a practice learned with the breadboard on the walnut secretary that I made last summer. I didn't plan the sap wood that appears on the bench but couldn't have asked for a more striking appearance. Notice the size, the table had to be small for a small kitchen area. Also, I had to be able to move the bench up under the table when not in use so the two supports across the bottom are at different heights. My table needs to be large however my current supply of walnut will make it difficult for me to have one single length of board for the top, does anyone have any suggestions on how to develop the top as two sections? Thanks for looking and thanks for any suggestions on the new table. Lorraine

Attachments

• 100_2603.jpg
    100_2603.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 229

walnutjerry

New User
Jerry
My table needs to be large however my current supply of walnut will make it difficult for me to have one single length of board for the top, does anyone have any suggestions on how to develop the top as two sections? Thanks for looking and thanks for any suggestions on the new table. Lorraine

Good looking table and benches Lorraine.

As for your larger table---------you may consider running the grain across the table instead of length wise. That would require an apron underneath it though unless you run 2 stretchers from end to end mortised or "notched" into the support arms. I have never done one that way but I see no reason for it not to work. Just an idea.:)

Jerry

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
make 2 separate tops with breadboards. exagerate the joint so it becomes a design thing. or run a rail through the middle and use the shorter lumber to fill the 2 squares. if you do it that way it might look better with a mitered frame instead of bread boards. looks great as is but i know all about short board syndrome!:roll: its a common afliction amoungst wood dorkers.:rolf: every project requires a lumber purchas cause the pile of wood you chose never has enough long stock!:eusa_doh: wellcome to my world!:BangHead:

fred p

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Turned out great Lorraine! The finish on the top really shines!

BTW, doesn't the BORG carry walnut dowels? For some reason, I think I have seen them there.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
The finished product looks beautiful, Lorraine. I'm sure your son and his family are proud to show it off! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looks great Lorraine :icon_thum
The finish is awesome!

With admiration and a bit of envy,
Roger

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Thank you all for the kind words. I am pulling through my library of plans still looking for the top for my table. For those who haven't seen it, check out the cherry tabletop built by mltrager. It maybe just be the one I go with or something on that line. It has the breadboard on the ends but it is two pieces put together. I would settle my problem of long boards, the attachment to the base would take some extra consideration. You know, half the fun of making a piece is planning. Again thanks for the good words and for sharing with me as I finish yet another piece. Who was it who said, if I have 20 years left to live, and I make one piece each year, then I will leave 20 piece when I am gone. That is my motto. Lorraine

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Great job on the table/benches, Lorraine:eusa_clap!
Maybe when I grow up....Na, I don't think I could even come close:slap:.

I also would be willing to turn some walnut dowels for you. I have a bunch of short walnut cutoffs (1-2 ft. in length). Let me know the size, if you are interested.
Take care,

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Nicely done, Lorraine! I would be a bit afraid to use it. I am partial to walnut and the sapwood really adds to the piece.

tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS