Too stupid for sharp.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Well, I found another way to test how sharp a chisel can be.

Lesson? Don't push a chisel in a direction leading to your fingers.

Blood. Pain. Yes, foul language.

So, have I learned the same lesson yet again? I sure hope so :p

My left hand filed a complaint with OSHA. Until the court case is resolved, it will not hold anything for my right hand.

Jim

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Well, I found another way to test how sharp a chisel can be.

Lesson? Don't push a chisel in a direction leading to your fingers.

My left hand filed a complaint with OSHA. Until the court case is resolved, it will not hold anything for my right hand.

Jim

Jim,
Welcome to the club!!

Cut my left arm and tendon for middle and ringfinger with a boxcutter.
At least you cut yourself with a woodworking tool! I did something much more pathetic: Slipped with the boxcutter while planting tree seedlings (removing the plastic planter). Put me out of commission for about 6 weeks. I now have a new found respect for knives!!

Hope you cut heals quick!
Bernhard

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I didn't push a chisel, but I wore flip flops last night and slammed my toe into a stack of wood on the floor. I as well had lots of blood, bandaids, no stitches, fortunately.

You have to get sewed up?

R

rickc

Neither experience sounds like much fun. Hope both of you are doing ok.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thumbs and bandsaws are not a good combo either! I guess we all have to put our blood,sweat and tears into our projects!:saw:I guess that is learning at the school of hard knocks (or rather cuts!) It was a quick lesson to take the proper safety precautions!

Hope your OSHA investigation is resolved quickly so you can get back to work!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Hey, it doesn't have to be a sharp object. I'm a bit of a klutz. Almost weekly I bang my bald head into something :lol: A cap has become the safety device of choice for me.

Sorry for you pain,
Roger

DaveT

New User
Dave Tenhoeve
OUCH. I learned a couple of years ago to not use a chisel to pry apart a bad joint while holding it in my hands. Of course the joint let go with lots of pressure on the chisel, as it did the chisel slipped right into the meat at the base of my thumb. 6 stiches later I have a nice scar to remind me. I feel your pain!

walnutjerry

New User
Jerry

Add to the blunder list some of the things I have experienced-------drilled into my left index finger using a brad point bit to drill holes in a chair loop8-O , I slung my left hand into the miter saw catching my little finger in the process and it looked like ground beef --needed stitches inside and out on that one!!:BangHead: I once caught my thumb nail on the table saw----was lucky it only trimmed my finger nail.:eusa_pray

All those things have some common threads---tired, in a hurry to finish, just plain carelessness!!!:eusa_doh:

Jerry

tattoo12365

New User
Allen
This one time at wood camp :lol:

I was cutting a large keystone block for an arched doorway ..... Using a Hitachi sliding compound miter saw I carefully lined up my lines and started to pull the blade towards me ............... Griping the wood with my left hand was not a problem ..... the problem was I left my thumb in the way.

Thank god I was quick to react .... didn't cut my thumb off but ended up with the prettiest kerf marks in the top of my thumb and thumb nails. I could hold it up and see where the blade cut in almost 3/16ths of an inch.

Very Lucky I was young Jedi ..... Welcome to the club.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
What I have to share here is just a small sample of what I call my "BoneHead list":

Working all day on my deck one day, I lined up a couple of band boards that comprised and octagon, held them with my right hand and let the air nailer fly with the left. In retrospect, this may have not been the most inteligent move, because I am decidedly right handed. The 3 1/2 RINGSHANK decking went into the wood only about a half an inch before coming out the other side and going through my index finger just between the nail and second knuckle. Yes, when body parts get pierced at high velocity, blood does spatter.

After prying my finger loose from the board and determining that I could not get the nail out, I drove myself to the ER and was advised that if the nail had hit the bone, it would have shattered the bone and the end of the finger would have to be removed - as the bone would not ever heal.

As luck would have it, it missed the bone and the nail was pulled out by a doc with a pair of plyers. About a month later, I was using the circ saw to cut a 45-degree bevel on the end of a plank. It started to move so I put my foot on it and grabbed the short end of the stick, as it were. Because of the bevel, I effectively removed all traces of a fingerprint from 3 fingers on my left hand.

The funniest part of the whole thing was when the doc in the ER asked me if I had a tetanus shot, I answered yes. Then where I recieved it (same ER) and when (4 weeks prior). :BangHead: :BangHead:

J

jeff...

Learned my lesson about two years ago, a thumb and rotating table saw blade do not mix very well, a table saw is very unforgiving - Needless to say I have newly found respect for my table saw. Thank God the missing piece of my thumb grew back, including the thumb nail.

dtomasch

New User
David
Ladies and Gentleman....Blood on the INSIDE. Be CarefulALWAYSI had a board kickback and split the top of my left hand side to side: scalped really. No insurance, so I talked myself into beleiving it would "heal on it's own". Went 18 hrs with no doctor. When I decided to go to the doctor he took oe look at the ground beef top of my hand and said something along the lines of skin graft, surgeon, etc. All I heard was $$$$$$$$$$. I pleaded with the good doc, explaining my lack of insurance. He left the room for a while, then returned with medical book in toe and held up a 4 fingered hand and said "I understand" He used to be a carpenter until he cut his ring finger off. This good man spent 6 hours patching up my hand and my bill was $300. Blessings indeed. But don't count on this kindness, just stay aware. We all do things inhearently dangerous, but calculated. It seems to me that injuries happen when we get comfortable, lax, or in a rush. You all know that safety is first, but we need to remember it first and last. I'm not preaching, just reminding myself through late night banter.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
These are scary stories indeed. Woodworking and building are inherently dangerous things to do. I don't have a story of my own to tell, but Dusty Sawyer's avatar reminds me that I was at the pool in the back yard a couple of weeks ago, talking to my neighbor's son in law... he and his family were over for a swim. As he sat there in his swim trunks, I noticed a wee bit of a mark on his thigh. He sort of nicked it with a chain saw a few years back. Took 75 stiches to close up. That's one tool I own that I will NOT loan to anyone.

Ray

novice99

New User
Mike
Despite reading the excellent post by Monty on his website (Kickback) several months back analyzing the mechanism of kickback, I took a 12" square piece of ash into my gut :eusa_doh:. 8 weeks later, I still have an ugly L-shaped raised healing scar as a reminder to always double check my fence for trueness before I make a cut. The only good thing to come of this was that the LOML indicated that I could save up $$$ for a real tablesaw to replace my tabletop craftsman :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap.

If you haven't read Monty's detailed piece with many pics, you should!

brent innc

New User
Brent
Not trying to make light of a serious situation, but......what's woodworking without a little blood now and then!
Come to think of it, ....Norm.........instead of Roy.
Oh well!!!!!!!:roll:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I did the same myself, a few months ago. By the time I got to Urgent Care, the bleeding had finally stopped. I thought it better to have the gouge looked at anyhow. A littler sterile superglue, and I was on my way. Looking at the bright side, I still have 10 fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS