Timber Frame Workshop at Scott Smiths July 14 - 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Come and learn an age old craft of Timber Framing in a "hand on" workshop. Timber framing is the method used to join large timbers to each other using only mortise and tenon joints held together with wooden pegs - no metal fasteners. This class will be held the week of July 14, 2014 at Scott Smith’s farm shop in New Hill, NC, just 30 miles from downtown Raleigh. It will start on Monday and last five days.

In this workshop you will learn how to layout and cut joints needed to assemble a 12' x 16' structure that will be used as a tack room on the farm. It will utilize timbers milled from trees that were standing within feet of the building's location.

Basic carpentry tools will need to be furnished by each student. Specialty tools such as vintage mortisers will available to "try" as well. A list of tools needed is available upon your request. You don't need to have any advanced wood working experience; beginners are welcome. There is always something to do for everyone, including peg making.

The instructor is Jim Rogers; a sawyer and Timber Framer from Massachusetts, USA. Jim is a well known timber framer from the Northeast US and has been teaching timber framing for over 10 years. He has presented at the Timber Framers Guild conference and is published in "Timber Framing;" the magazine of the Guild.

Learn something old and interesting and keep the craft alive and growing. Watch a building grow from the efforts of your own hands.

Cost for the class is $500.00 per student, with a maximum of 8 students. Advance reservations recommended. Email Jim at jrtimberdesigns@verizon.net for more details.

Here is an example of one of Jim's timber frames: http://www.jrsawmill.com/JimRogersTimberDesigns.htm

Jim Rogers.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Come and learn an age old craft of Timber Framing in a "hand on" workshop. Timber framing is the method used to join large timbers to each other using only mortise and tenon joints held together with wooden pegs - no metal fasteners. This class will be held the week of July 14, 2014 at Scott Smith’s farm shop in New Hill, NC, just 30 miles from downtown Raleigh. It will start on Monday and last five days.

In this workshop you will learn how to layout and cut joints needed to assemble a 12' x 16' structure that will be used as a tack room on the farm. It will utilize timbers milled from trees that were standing within feet of the building's location.

Basic carpentry tools will need to be furnished by each student. Specialty tools such as vintage mortisers will available to "try" as well. A list of tools needed is available upon your request. You don't need to have any advanced wood working experience; beginners are welcome. There is always something to do for everyone, including peg making.

The instructor is Jim Rogers; a sawyer and Timber Framer from Massachusetts, USA. Jim is a well known timber framer from the Northeast US and has been teaching timber framing for over 10 years. He has presented at the Timber Framers Guild conference and is published in "Timber Framing;" the magazine of the Guild.

Learn something old and interesting and keep the craft alive and growing. Watch a building grow from the efforts of your own hands.

Cost for the class is $500.00 per student, with a maximum of 8 students. Advance reservations recommended. Email Jim at jrtimberdesigns@verizon.net for more details.

Here is an example of one of Jim's timber frames: http://www.jrsawmill.com/JimRogersTimberDesigns.htm

View attachment 11041

Wow and no ridge board?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Very cool! I wish I had a week! (and your supply of oak :).
Salem

Salem, haven't you heard of vacation?????

The funny thing is... the frame will probably be milled from southern yellow pine, primarily due to it's availability here on the farm. My other choice would be red oak.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Come and learn an age old craft of Timber Framing in a "hand on" workshop. . . .
You will learn how to layout and cut joints needed to assemble a 12' x 16' structure that will be used as a tack room on the farm.
Basic carpentry tools will need to be furnished by each student.
Watch a building grow from the efforts of your own hands.
Cost for the class is $500.00 per student.

OK - Let me see if I fully understand this:
- You need a new building on your farm.
- You want 8 guys to come help you build it.
- They get to: Watch the building grow from the efforts of their own (probably blistered) hands.
- They need to bring their own tools.

What I'm unclear about is that it seems that the helpers (students?) pay $500 for this privilege.
Seems like they should be receiving the $500!!!!

Just kiddin' around.
The devil made me do it :wwink:

wayne

New User
wayne
Wow and no ridge board?

My guess the opposing rafters (if you want to call them that) are either half lapped or semi mortise and tenon at the ridge and pegged making it possible to eliminate the ridge board.

Scott is this going to be a traditional timber frame raising with the obligatory evergreen bough affixed to the roof peak after all the bents are raised and tied together. I wondered like Petem that maybe the monetary compensation was kinda reversed

Good luck with it and hope its a safe and successful raising.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
My guess the opposing rafters (if you want to call them that) are either half lapped or semi mortise and tenon at the ridge and pegged making it possible to eliminate the ridge board.

Scott is this going to be a traditional timber frame raising with the obligatory evergreen bough affixed to the roof peak after all the bents are raised and tied together. I wondered like Petem that maybe the monetary compensation was kinda reversed

Good luck with it and hope its a safe and successful raising.

Wayne / Pete: You guys crack me up! :gar-La;

Seriously, the purpose of the event is to teach timber framing joinery - not to raise a frame. Most of the timber frame classes are held in the NE US, I offered Jim the opportunity to conduct a class at my farm in order to provide a venue in the SE US for local folks that are interested in learning the craft from a noted timberframe teacher. Quite frankly it remains to be seen if there will be enough interest in order to make it worth Jim's while to travel and spend a week.

I seriously doubt that enough work would be completed by eight novices in five days for the frame to assembled and raised, and I was not planning to raise it (or even have the foundation prepared in advance for that matter). I expect that maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the joinery might be completed that week. The remaining will be completed by myself and my farm hands at some point after the event. It would be great if we could complete a couple of bents and raise them in the shop so as to show the students the assembly techniques.

If there is not enough interest in the class - no big deal. I actually have a building sitting next door that has been given to me that I can use for the tack room (and I have the means to move and place it). I just thought that it would be fun to provide an opportunity for folks to learn an interesting craft from a great teacher.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott,

I too had that initial "great way to get free labor" thought but quickly put it aside as I realized what a great learning experience this might be. So don't be too hard on them as it is hard to not have that thought cross your mind and mention it jokingly. You are supplying all the material for the learning experience and that is worth a lot more than whatever finished product is produced. Education, Learning is what this group is all about. And the willingness to help another in their projects. This provides all of that and more.

It really sounds like a great opportunity to develop skills and experience a great camaraderie with like minded people. And a chance to participate in a ritual that our forefathers used to help bring a community together.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to participate but am considering it seriously. I have a lot of the hand tools needed but not the big slicks, etc. This is not cheap, but a once in a lifetime chance to participate in something like this without spending an equal amount on travel expenses.

I hope this comes to fruition regardless of my participation - what a great idea.

MattJ

New User
Matt
I have signed up Scott. Sounds like fun and it's cheaper than most other classes and local. I figure we will gain a lot of experience and knowledge in one week.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have signed up Scott. Sounds like fun and it's cheaper than most other classes and local. I figure we will gain a lot of experience and knowledge in one week.

Great! It is my sincere hope that this is an informative and valuable class for all of the attendees.

Here is what the current status of the frame looks like. There will be some slight changes to this in terms of door and window locations, but otherwise this is close. It should provide an opportunity for the students to learn to layout and cut the primary joinery utilized in traditional timberframe construction.

Frame.JPG

MattJ

New User
Matt
I'm looking forward to someday have a chance to build something on my property and gaining the knowledge is the first step. I also ordered a broad axe from Autine to try the old school approach. Not sure it will be ready by then though.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dang, seeing the design I'm even more interested. I really need to look and see if I can afford the vacation time this year. What with WIA and a nephew getting married in May, my vacation time is a little booked, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Still trying to work it out. Thanks again Scott for arranging this.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
So far there are two students signed up!

If you've ever wanted to learn how to build a wooden structure with only mortise, tenons, dovetails and wood pegs to hold it together, this is a great opportunity. Lunch is even included!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS