Safety mask recommendations???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I'm generating a lot of dust and the cheap mask I'm using fogs up my safety glasses. I'm trying to decide what is a better mask to use.

Woodcraft has 3 that look promising.

This one has a exhaust port so it should fog up.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=141916&FamilyID=4230

This is similar but looks a little cheaper
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=836875&FamilyID=20236

The Dust Bee Gone doesn't have an exhaust, is reusable/washable.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=2089
Its more expensive but I don't care about that. I just don't want to get it if it will just fog up my glasses again. Nothing is less safe then having clear lungs and not being able to see the saw blade....

Thanks for any input.

Wes

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
Last week I was having problems sanding mdf using only a el cheapo dust mask. I picked up one of the dust bee gone masks from Klingspor's and so far I am happy with it. Much better fit to face and relatively comfortable. No problems with fogging. Based on how I felt the next morning, this mask was much better at protecting me than the cheap nuisance mask I was wearing before. Eventually I hope to get an air shield/helmet but funds are a lil tight right now.
Mike

SteveColes

New User
Steve
I gave up on the cloth or paper filters. For the price, you can't wrong with this one Half mask

But if you got the money right now and you want/need full protection then I can't say too much about this one Full Shield

It has twice saved me from facial damage from a ballistic turning tool.:rotflm:

SRhody

New User
Stacey
Two cents here:
I did some research on this awhile back, lots of looking at what the experts say balanced out against my intented use, comfort level and available $$.

While a full faced forced-air seems to be the best solution, way out of my budget. I went with the 3M Half Mask Respirator 7500 series.

You can order seperate cartridges to cover just about any situation from fumes to dust, including HEPA quality filters. I've been very happy with it, I wear my safety goggles and didn't have any problem with them foggin' up even with the coastal humidity this summer in my [strike]garage[/strike] shop.

Fits well, adjustable, and comfortable = more inclined to wear to protect my oxygen exchange system.

Hope this helps. With all the literature and truth be told stories protecting our lungs is worth the investment.

Barbara Gill

New User
Barbara
I have used a North 7700 half mask for over 20 years. The dust filters are 99% effective. There are many other canister type filters available for vapors and a multitude of bad stuff. It is very reasonably priced.

I use the flat filters that fit into a holder that screws onto the mask in the sawmill and the pancake filters when I turn. The mask and filters fit right under my face mask.

Oh yeah, since the exhalation port is on the bottom of the mask, glasses do not fog up.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I am mainly looking for dust protection. I use a festool vacuum, window exhaust fans and am working on a home made air filter. For turning I would rather use a full face shield and a separate mask. I don't spray finish so I am not too worried about that.

I would rather have something simple and small that I am more likely to wear. If I have to put on a big mask for cutting wood, I may not wear it as much.

I think I will get the Dust Bee Gone initially since it doesn't seem to fog the glasses. If I still sneeze a bunch and have dust in my nose I'll have to get a more effective particle filter. Then I can switch to that when I am sanding or using some wood that really bothers my system.

Wes

sediener

New User
Steve
While a full faced forced-air seems to be the best solution, way out of my budget. I went with the 3M Half Mask Respirator 7500 series.

I've got that one too and can't complain. Be prepared to deal with a little resistance when breathing with these.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS