Roots & Fruits

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuWine

New User
NuWine
Hi everyone. Im Nuwine from Southernpines. Im pretty new to the world of woodworking across all the lines of woodworking. My father & I own & operate a small logging & tree removal service here in Moore co. Additionaly we own a small bandmill that can mill timbers into 20inch wide boards up to 20ft long. We purchased the mill primarily just for the fun of operating one. Not to long ago i had a chance to visit Klingspors of raleigh while looking for a router bit that could tongue & groove 2inch thick boards that will become floors for the home im planning to build. Yes you read it right..im using 2inch thick boards laid over 6x6 beams in my floors & ceilings..My home will end up being 35ft tall towers with flat roofs with 3 floors in one tower & 4 in the other with each floor being made of a different type wood & im milling the walls into 9inch thick beams from 9inches tall to @ 20inchs tall all out of shortleaf & longleaf pine timbers.Many of the timbers exceed 200yrs in age. I will have flat but accessable roofs. So far ive decided to cedar,true antique heart pine,knotty pine,ambrosia maple,cherry,black walnut,white&red oak,pecan,sycamore,hickory & hemlock thruout the floors all cut 2inches thick & one floor with a mixture of all the above & brafford pear,dogwood& holly mixed in.Many times during our harvesting practices we come into contact with with all the above listed timber types and after that visit to klingspors we have begun saving select pieces for those who have an interest in these timbers types as well as having already saved several dozen cherry burls of varying sizes from as big @ as a football to 6ft around with any more cherry burls scheduled to come in within a few weeks. im also keeping an eye open for crotches of varying types.As time goes by im getting more of an eye for whats desirable & whats not as were use to havin most of our materials trucked off to chip mills were there potential futures as bowls fine pens vases table tops etc are lost forever. so if you guys have any interest feel free to msg me here or at dtspencer32@yahoo.com. or if you have any ideas on how to bring my vision to past then contact me as well. so far iv found out that il need a good foundation to support the weight of the home & il began that on a 2 30x30 6inch thick slabs..thanx in advance for any info you can provide me with.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Welcome Nuwine! I think that you'll fit in just fine here. The home that you plan to build reminds me of another logger who is a good friend of mine; Charles Holland of New Hill. Charles built his log home with a differnt them in every room; the floors throughout are black walnut and are absolutely spectacular.

Best of success to you with your project. You might also enjoy the Forestry Forum (www.forestryforum.com), as there are several knowledgeable timber framers on that forum who can offer invaluable advice.

Scott

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Sounds like quite the adventure your starting. Welcome to our sawdust pile. Since no one has mentioned it yet, we like pics here.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
This is more work but one of the other figured part of a tree is at the ground. Many fine gunstocks have stump figure in the part closest to your chest. It is probably not nearly as strong but the cross section is large so it is strong enough - and very pretty. I don't know if you have to underground to get this or if you just cut it off at ground level whether you would get it. I wouldn't mess with it except in traditional gunstock woods - certainly walnut, possibly maple and cherry. For a gunstock, you need a 2 to 3 inch thick plank. If you want to try this, you might try googling custom gunstock makers and see what they know and are interested in. You can also probably get an idea of what the blanks go for with a google search. Really figured wood is quite expensive (potentially profitable for you).

Jim

NuWine

New User
NuWine
Hey Jim..i network with a very broad team of individuals that are in the business of dealing with forestry related issues. That list includes tree removal services, grading contractors, farm & residential development teams,timber stock yards, as well as with other loggers & i have them on the hunt for many different timber types & for there stumps as well..so far iv only found a really huge black walnut stump & of course i have the black walnut butt log that was once attached to the stump. That log is 22inchs on the big end and at 11ft lonf it tapers down to 20 inchs..its all but clear except one knot that is on the last foot of the log..i plan to eventually cut that stump into 3inch thick slabs & see if i can find any buyers of what i can salvage from it..since im fairly new to the woodworking world now totaly sure as to how i should cut my log material..so far ive been cutting most of my stuff an inch thick that i thought scrollworkers may like & 2 or 3 inches thick for bowlturners..if u have any advice you can offer to help support me with it will be well received and appreciated much. Thanx Jim & il chat with u later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS