Rigid 13" Planer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturi

New User
Mark
I was considering this planer after a favorable review in a wood working magazine and was wondering if anyone has one and what their opinion is.

Monty

New User
Monty
I don't have one, but the reviews have been pretty universally favorable. Get it on sale if you can.

GFranks

New User
Gary
I actually bought this model last friday and I was very impressed with it. I planed about 30 feet of lumber and it was very smooth. Snipe was not too bad but you probably will want to plan for cutting the first and last 2 inches of the board off. Also the dust collection chute works very well, very little chips got out. Overall I'm very pleased with it, now maybe the Ridgid jointer next.....

Good luck with your decison.

mturi

New User
Mark
Sounds good. I actually have the Rigid jointer already and so far so good. I do recall it took a little extra time to set up the infeed/outfeed tables but that's probably because I am a bit anal. Anyway, it does a nice job and makes life so much easier. Thanks for the reply.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Woodguy has this planer. I've used it during his classes. He has nothing but good things to say about it and he's pretty critical (of his tools :-D). Based on the little bit that I used it during the class, I thought that Wood Mag's assessment was accurate.

RSBaldwin

New User
Ron
I have had one for over three years. Good work horse for the money. Very little snipe and the 13 inch capability is handy for large projects. Rigid makes good tools.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I've had the Rigid 13 incher for 3-4 years, with no complaints. If the outfeed table is set a little high, there is little or no snipe. Changing blades is a snap they are self indexing and can be done in 5-10 min. You won't be disapointed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

JanesJeff

New User
Jeff Stikeleather
I also have the planer ... for 1 year and a lot of wood. I am please with the operation. I found good ratings on the Rigid and some bad ones on the Dewalt and I was ready to buy the Dewalt??? Cheaper and life time gaurantee on the planer convinced me.
Like all planers you have to keep up with cleaning the rollers or you get slip. I noted the "high" outfeed table comment. I read recently in Wood Mag (I think??) that you should set the in and out tables about 1/16" high to improve/eliminate snip. I just set mine up ... using dimes ... didn't have pennies ... amazing!! Have yet to try it. I find that I had to adjust the tables to a straight edge very carefully using two wrenches and a observation of the straight edge contact with the dimes. Make sence?

Hope it helps,

Jeff

mturi

New User
Mark
Thanks for all the feedback. I bought myself and early Christmas present today and told my wife it was from her. I didn't sense any excitement from her especially when I told her this isn't exactly the last tool I need to complete my shop. Oh well. Happy planing everyone.

P.S. I was a bit surprised during assembly of the table when I found odd looking bends on both of the lower long braces. They were symetrical and looked as if they came from the factory that way. It did not make sense to me and it certainly was not depicted this way in the assembly diagram. I called Customer Support and they confirmed this was not right and arranged to send me replacement parts. No big deal. Everything else looks good and my first board planed beautifully.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS