Radial arm saw problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave86634

New User
Dave
I have a DeWalt/B&D radial arm saw model 7740 and I do not have the owners manual. I have ordered a manual and am waiting to receive it. In the mean time I have end play in the arm that I do not know how to eliminate. With the saw all the way forward on the table and "locked" in place it can move side to side about 1/16th of an inch. Can anyone help me to eliminate this end play?
Thank you in advance,
Dave86634

rick7938

New User
Rick
Dave,

Don't know if this will help, but my older Craftsman had a lever on the left side of the post that would allow you to "preset" the position of the head to 90 degrees after you had moved it to another angle. The lever would drop into a groove that was supposed to bring you back to a perfect 90 degree cross-cut. Located on pivot of that lever were two adjustment screws that let you fine tune the angle so that it was exactly 90 degrees when the lever dropped into the slot. Those adjustment screws also let you take any slop out of the arm.

Also, can you tell if the side to side movement is in the saw head itself or in the arm? The Craftsman that I had also had adjustment screws that would allow you to adjust the play out of the rails that the saw head rode on as you extended and retracted the head. Look around and take off any covers that you see around any of the articulating areas of the saw. Most of these saws have adjustments in them. If it is not a new saw, try taking it apart to ensure that saw dust has not built up preventing the head from seating in areas that rotate.

Good luck. There are a lot of areas on a radial arm saw that can get out of adjustment. Hope that you find yours and it works well.

Dave86634

New User
Dave
Rick thank you for the reply. In another area I found a site where I was able to download a copy of the owners manual that I needed. This has the information I need to adjust my saw. Now if I can only do it correctly I will be all set. I had looked all around the internet trying to find this manual and it was on this site that I found it. Thank yo North Carolina Woodworker.
Dave Ward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS