premium biscuits??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I am looking for some good biscuits. I have been buying the Porter Cable brand but their thickness varies from too thick to go into the slot or so thin that it is sloppy.

I estimate that 15% of the biscuits in these packages are the right fit; so who makes the premium ones????

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I use lamello brand from mcfeelys. keep them in a dry sealed container until use. A little loose in the slot is ok they will expand in the wet glue. you can also bake em in the oven to shrink them.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Yeah. what Fred said.

Too thin is usually ok.

Too thick, you can squeeze them in a vise.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Are you sure it's the biscuits? I haven't purchased new biscuits in possibly 10 years but I have not had this issue unless I cut the slot oversized.

Jim

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
my daughter puts 'em in her oven and swears they'll rise to a nice flakey buttery biscuit, but I'm just not so sure.....
[should this be in pink..or purple...can't remember]

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I will give the ones from McFeeley's a try next.

I know that they can expand with the glue but I like for them to be a perfect fit to perfectly align the board being glued so I don't have too much material to true up with the plan on the final panel. Maybe this is a sign that a Domino tool should be in my future.....

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Time Out on Frankin St. in Chapel Hill has the best "Premium" Biscuits in my mind. Big as a cat's head and soft and flakey. :icon_cheers
:thumbs_up on the Domino but they also have humidity swelling issues and can be a female dog to get in and out of the small mortise by hand. They need to be stored in an airtight container (Not a ziplock bag) and can be nuked in the microwave if too damp.

ehpoole

Ethan
Corporate Member
Are you sure it's the biscuits? I haven't purchased new biscuits in possibly 10 years but I have not had this issue unless I cut the slot oversized.

Jim

The same thought comes to my mind as well. I use the PC biscuits almost exclusively and haven't had any such issues. On the other hand, any freeplay in the biscuit joiner (or router) will result in oversized slots. On the other hand, any moisture such as storing biscuits in a high-humidity shop or applying glue more than a few seconds before insertion will result in swollen over-sized biscuits that are tight fitting.

My biscuits are stored in a sealed container with dessicant packages in a humidity controlled shop (about 40%RH).

PS - My biscuits are no more than 1-2 years old, so they are fairly recent Porter Cable biscuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS