Practice, practice, practice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan

First one.

Another view.

Bevel gauge for layout, Dozuki saw for cuts, 8mm and 1/2" chisel for cleanout.

I know, practice, practice, practice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks like you're off to a fine start... half the battle is just getting started. Keep it up!

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I'm impressed!!! The next set will be easier now that you have done some. I was real nervous on my first shot at them, because they were not practice, they were for real to be used. I find that the extra pressure to do it right forces me to try harder to learn it right the first time, but after it was all done I thought they were really simple with the right tools. :eusa_danc

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Second generation dovetail. (Dovetails reproduce quickly, it's only hours between generations. Sorta like fruit flies)

Sorry bout the big images. I'm stupid and still struggling with how to link the thumbs. Monty fixed the first set, and I tried this time, but failed. Doggone, I decided to show you the "full Monty." Ha.

These have the half pins at the ends. I cheated on these and used the coping saw to hog out most of the the waste, and then chiseled to clean up.

Another view:

How do y'all saw down to the line and not beyond? The dozuki peels out a sliver of wood that obscures the line. I have to remove the saw, hit the wood with a piece of sandpaper, look close, and start over. Seems to me that a "depth stop" on the saw would be a helpful aid. Is that cheating?

Where's Mr. Underhill when you need him?

45 minutes from begin layout until best (I was gonna get) fit achieved. So that's three hours per drawer, not counting all the ripping and jointing and planing with Normie gear, not Roy toys. Then again, my time's worth very little these days, unless I'm enjoying myself. And by golly, I had a good time this afternoon.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Can't offer a lot of advice 'cause I'm still a novice. However, I consider stop blocks in the same class as a vise, and a coping saw as a handtool like a chisel and dovetail saw, so I wouldn't consider using either "cheating". I would reckon those that would probably cut their dovetails with a router anyway.
Looks to me like you are getting the hang of it!

Go:)

Monty

New User
Monty
I use a Western style saw (the Lie-Nielsen dovetail saw). I tried a Jap style saw and never really got used to the way you have to hold your arm to make that saw go. With the Western style saw, if you push the saw properly the teeth sort of blow the dust away from the cut line as you go. Any possible tearout will be on the other face of the board where it doesn't matter so much. My guess is you just need to keep practicing with your saw until you can get smooth cuts without so much tearout.

MikeH

Mike
Corporate Member
You have to start somewhere and I think they look great for your first try. They are a lot better than I could do. Practice will make perfect!

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I fully intend to make handcut dovetails one day. Actually, one day soon. I would really like to use them on my current project. I'm willing to give it a shot.

You look like you're getting along pretty well! :icon_thum

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Great start and you are light years ahead of me Jim :icon_thum
You are improving, learning, and most important enjoying yourself :mrgreen:

Keep on sawing and posting,
Roger

dozer

Mike
You could score the line with a razor knife so it will be easier to see. Keep up the good work and most of all keep having fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS