Plane with compound iron angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

minddust

New User
barney roberts
Identified plane problems:
I have observed that cutting a rabbit has a tendency to creep causing the rabbit to narrower with depth. This may be my skill in cutting a rabbit with a hand plane. Also I have noticed that when surface planning, I as well as others skew the plane so as to attack the surface at an angle thus reducing effort and tear out.
Solution: Shown are two hand planes (left and right hand) made of drops of various species.
My first attempt to solve these cutting effects is a pair of planes that have the iron set at a common 45 degree with respect to the sole. In addition the iron is set at 45 degrees with respect to the applied force axis (front/rear centerline). The iron and wedge is compound angled (see photo). The iron’s previous life was a circular saw blade that was cut, ground and heat treated in oil bath and then a final stone edge. The sides are screw mounted so as to fascinate development of design and the fitting of components. Eventually the sides can be glued. A rabbit edge scribe bit and depth stop gauge are retractable for surface planning work. And the edge guide is of course removable.
Testing result:
Making a rabbit in oak works very well and having a left and right plane overcomes change in grain direction. Surface planning has the problem of difficulty in straight line travel due to the angle of attack of the 45 degree set. To correct this problem the left/ right angle should be 10 to 15 degrees rather than 45. This change should allow controllable straight line operation while still allowing the iron to pull the rabbit cut to full width as set by the fence.
P8270043.JPG

View image in gallery

P8270044.JPG

View image in gallery

P8270045.JPG

View image in gallery

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I have an old wooden body rabbet plane w/ a skewed blade and I love it. To me, the most interesting thing about your design is the handsaw style tote. I've never tried one, but my sense is that it would cause you to lean the plane over or guide it off course. What has been your experience so far w/ the tote?

Bill

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Looks good.

Is the blade firm enough for planing?

Interested in the fence assembly, would appreciate if you could post some more
details.

Regards.

Pinwu

eyekode

New User
Salem
Woah those look cool :). Chris Schwarz recently wrote about this problem on his blog. His recommendation is to leave the iron very slightly proud of the body of the plane. Otherwise any error in technique leads to making a new shoulder that the plane rides on. I use this same trick with my shoulder plane.

I recently picked up a skew rabbet plane by LV. you are welcome to swing by my "shop" and try it out. If you make it out my way bring those planes they sure look slick!

Edit: found the link http://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...log/make-square-rabbets-–-theory-and-practice
Salem

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Plane making is also a "dark side" adventure. After the first, you just can't stop. Gotta couple more I want to make. Make that SEVERAL that I want to make!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS