Ooops ! Know anybody that welds cast iron ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I managed to shear off the chunk of cast iron that controls the raise/lower mechanism on my planer. :slap:

Know anybody that can weld cast iron ?

Haven't gotten the call back from the dealer yet, but I suspect this part is really expensive to replace, since it is cast as part of a precision ground 2' long cylinder (the pedestal that lifts the planer-bed).

Oops.
DSCN2980.JPG

-Mark

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I can't help you but (forgive me for asking) I am very curious as to how you managed to do it. The picture doesn't show up.

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
I don't know anyone up your way, but try a local machine shop. They often do welding too. If you want to drive, PM me and I will give you some good names / numbers. I would try locally first though.

As for heating it up, I have seen guys weld cast iron pump volutes without heating and them hold together. It is supposedly tricky to weld CI though. DISCLAIMER - I do NOT KNOW much of ANYTHING about welding properly. So, I am probably just talking out my posterior...:roll:

DaveD

New User
Dave
I know just enough about welding to be dangerous. There is a special rod for welding cast iron. Cast iron can also be brazed and is supposed to be very strong (contrary to popular belief). In any case I think it has to be preheated somewhere between 500-900 degrees. You let it slowly cool by burying it in lime, dry sand or some other insulating material.

Be sure the weldor who fixes it has cast iron experience and can reasonably assure you he can fix it right. He probably won't guarantee it though. No hack weldors. There are also different kinds of cast iron that influence how it has to be welded.

As an alternative I wonder if you could take a piece of 1/2" thick plate, and drill and tap it for those two bolts that are coming out of bottom of the cylinder. Get longer bolts to fasten the piece of plate on the bottom of the cylinder. Then drill/tap it to match the location of the threaded hole that is on the broken off part.

Sort of looks like a design flaw to me. Is the whole weight of the table and the lumber that sits on it all on that tab that broke off? If so, I'm surprised they don't break more often.

Last edited:
J

jeff...

Liquid steel works pretty good on stuff like this, expecially if you can get some clamps on it. May be an option till you get your replacement piece from the MFG?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
First, I would avoid liquid steel. Brazing would be my first choice, followed by welding. Call Sap's Welding over in Garner. They are on Loop Road off hwy 70, near Timber drive. Revels Tractor in Fuquay could also provide you some leads. Most older automotive machine shops used to weld cracked heads and could be a source of a welder who knows how to weld CI. Looking at picture, I see two bolts that look like they could be used to mount a steel plate that could do job that CI current does, I mean used to do.:eusa_clap A steel plate could also be used to reattach CI part .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS