New Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Well as soon as it dries out some I'll be slinging a chainsaw, riding the bucking bronco (bobcat) sawing up logs, loading lumber on trailers and hopefully having the lumber kiln dried.

I shook hands on a nice little job in the woods thinning out a little more than 3 acres of trees. I cruised the tract today, good and muddy with lots of mature hardwoods, last logged in 1919. The best part is I'm only going to take what has been wind thrown from our windstorm earlier this week and it's only 2 miles from home :)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Great to hear Jeff. And only a couple of miles from home. Do I smell a wood run upcoming??

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I assume you run tracks on your 'cat. They make a BIG difference.

I thought hard about tracks but the bobcat is mostly on it's two front wheels. I'm not sure how well tracks would work I really need that tight turning radius on two wheels to snake logs out of the woods. I used to get freaked out when the rear wheels came up off the ground and dropped the forks so the back wheels would sit back down, but now I'm a little more used to it and prefer to balance on the two front wheels, with logs on the forks.

I have homemade solid forks on mine, I just need to remember to go uphill backwards and down hill forwards then life is good. With solid forks on the front I'm not concerned tipping forward but I wouldn't want to be in the seat if the thing decided it was gonna tip backwards. I had to change my britches more than once before I learned the hard way :confused_

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The weight of the tracks do add a little stability by being counterweight. I had them on a machine I used to own when needed but soon decided they provided so much traction it was tempting to go places I didn't really need to be. When you're pushing around mud so deep it pushes up through the slots at the foot pedals, it's time to go home & wait for it to dry out.
I can relate to the 2 wheel thing. Learned to use the seat belt the hard way after I tried to go through the roof of the cab.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Way To Go~!

I hope there is some great tree for you to harvest and everything goes well for you~!

Awesome Gloat for Sure~!

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Alright Jeff, Finally something that is right up your alley. Been Awhile since you've had one of these jobs. I know that you are looking forward to it.
Just be safe please.

MAC

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Well, just put on your spurs and Ride 'em Cowboy!!:3dblob3:

Congrats on the job, Jeff. Keep the shiny side up:gar-Bi

Glennbear

Glenn
Congratulations on landing a cutting job close to home. :eusa_clap Just be careful out there. :wsmile:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Jeff,

You said 'mostly hardwoods'... what all is out there? And is it ok if we start a rumor about a lumber run? :gar-Bi

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff,

You said 'mostly hardwoods'... what all is out there? And is it ok if we start a rumor about a lumber run? :gar-Bi

Lets not count our chickens till they hatch... a lot can happen between now and then. I'll just be happy to start logging and sawing again :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS