Never pick up a jointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehpoole

Ethan
Corporate Member
Don't feel too bad Mike.

A few years back while cleaning and wiping down the bed of my then-new (and unplugged) thickness planer (DW735) I was unexpectedly reminded of the importance to watch out for the 3 very sharp planer knives hovering -- albeit out of site -- just above my hand when I suddenly 'thickness planed' two knuckles. OUCH! :BangHead:

Just because a power tool is unplugged does not mean it isn't still out to get you!

Thankfully most of life's lessons only cost us a few days or weeks of discomfort and bruised pride before they fully heal. The lessons, though, once learned [hopefully] stick with us for life.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Sorry about the mishap. It is also good advice not to pick up a jointer by the end of the beds - it will "bend" the bed and therefore not be a flat, parallel surface. Pick up only in the middle or the frame.
Jim in Mayberry

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, it's been sitting on end in the corner for a couple years. I assumed it was out of line already. It will need some work to get going. I have to build a frame and clean/adjust everything. At least the blades are sharp!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Sorry about the mishap. It is also good advice not to pick up a jointer by the end of the beds - it will "bend" the bed and therefore not be a flat, parallel surface. Pick up only in the middle or the frame.
Jim in Mayberry

Okay, that's it! I'm not going to move my jointer, . . . . . ever. Nor my TS, my planer, my shaper, my lathe, my band saw, my etc. etc. etc. Unless, of course, I score a great deal on a bigger, better one. :rotflm:

Bill

Glennbear

Glenn
Don't feel too bad Mike.

A few years back while cleaning and wiping down the bed of my then-new (and unplugged) thickness planer (DW735) I was unexpectedly reminded of the importance to watch out for the 3 very sharp planer knives hovering -- albeit out of site -- just above my hand when I suddenly 'thickness planed' two knuckles. OUCH! :BangHead:

Just because a power tool is unplugged does not mean it isn't still out to get you!

Thankfully most of life's lessons only cost us a few days or weeks of discomfort and bruised pride before they fully heal. The lessons, though, once learned [hopefully] stick with us for life.

BTDT with my DW735, however the blood spots were easily removed from the freshly waxed bed. :rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Ever get some superglue accidentally on the end of your finger? Ever think - hey, my disc sander can take care of that? Well, you shouldn't. It's the Dopeler effect: The phenomenon that stupid ideas can appear really bright if they come at you fast.

Glennbear

Glenn
Ever get some superglue accidentally on the end of your finger? Ever think - hey, my disc sander can take care of that? Well, you shouldn't. It's the Dopeler effect: The phenomenon that stupid ideas can appear really bright if they come at you fast.

Using a belt sander to achieve the same goal has a similar painful result DAMHIKT :rotflm:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member

I think the Darwin Awards have a category for this, really. :gar-La;

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Mike does that come in the same strain as DON'T try to catch a falling knife?
not going into detail about why I ask....
(all healed and no tell tale scars)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
by the blade. :rotflm:

Only a small cut but worth the reminder.

I figured it would be hard to pick up by the blade. Handle works a lot better!! :gar-La; :gar-La;

IMG_35551.JPG

Chuck

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yeah, but this was a Craftsman 6 inch wide cast iron power jointer. I didn't really try to pick it up by the blade. While I was reaching for the side to pick it up my finger brushed the blade.

I like your jointer a lot better. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS