Mount a fire extinguisher

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I need to mount a fire extinguisher above a light switch where my stud finder tells me there are wires behind the wall. So, I want to glue a board above the switch and mount to painted Sheetrock. I need a fast setting permanent adhesive so I dont have to rig up anything to hold the board in place while glue dries. Ideas?

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I need to mount a fire extinguisher above a light switch where my stud finder tells me there are wires behind the wall. So, I want to glue a board above the switch and mount to painted Sheetrock. I need a fast setting permanent adhesive so I dont have to rig up anything to hold the board in place while glue dries. Ideas?
I see no reason that loctite contruction adhesive would not work. It is sold at lowes and they have a fast grip version. Being flat and vertical versus hanging off the wall it should be strong enough to hold the extinguisher if it's normal size.

Jack A.

Jack
User
In all likelihood, there is a stud on one side or the other of the box that contains the light switch. Code requires that wires be set 1 1/4" back from the face of a stud. So if you can locate the stud and use 1 1/2" or shorter screws (1/2" for the sheetrock + 1 1/4" for the stud = 1 3/4" clearance), you should have no issue with the wires.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I agree with Jack, take off the light switch plate and you will be able to see which side the stud is on and then using 1.75 inch screws you should have no issues mounting the bracket.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I am not a fan of gluing to sheet rock, especially painted. The sheer strength of the paint to the sheet rock, and the sheet rock facing to the gypsum is not very high, and even less so in a humid environment. You will also might destroy the sheet rock if you decide to remove the board in the future.

[ edited: What Jack said.] The electrical wires will be run along the side of the stud. If they are routed through the stud, the hole should be in the center of the stud ( at least 1 1/4" from the inside edge. or covered with a metal plate). I used the term "should" because it depends somewhat on the age of the structure and the veracity of your local code enforcement program.

One option is to positively identify the stud center by using a small drill bit set to penetrate just beyond the sheet rock thickness and drilling several holes across the stud location to define the edges. If you hit metal, relocate above or below. I used this method when hanging my fire extinguisher in my garage, with it being 18" above a GFI outlet, although I mounted the extinguisher bracket directly to the sheet rock.

Another option is to bridge between adjacent studs (if they show no electrical)with your mounting board.

Option three is to use toggle bolts through the sheet rock to mount the board, installing them at least 6" away from the stud.

The extinguisher size also is a factor. A typical "5lb" ABC extinguisher weighs in about 9 lbs. A 2/12 gal water extinguisher weighs in about 30 lbs. Using adhesive or toggle bolts, you also need to add the weight of the board.

jmtcw

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Reading the comments about gluing to sheetrock we changed plans. We are going to screw it to the side of a wooden cabinet. Problem solved now. Thanks.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not a deal breaker, but in commercial work, Fire Marshals would not allow mounting extinguishers any higher than 48" to the handle. I get mounting it near the light switch for visibility, but beside or below would work just as well if you have the room. Also, less likely to hit a wire if everything is fed from above.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS