Manfre's Workshop Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Thanks for the continued feedback. I started from scratch and build the entire workshop from the ground up (including all framing) and incorporated the feedback. Here's revision 2.

I added a workbench offset from the back wall by 5" to allow for storing full sheets of plywood. The counter top has a foldaway section with miter tracks to serve as an outfeed for the TS. The back of the counter top has a 2" tall lip to prevent screws or other things from falling behind it. The workbench will not be on wheels. The white things under the upper cabinets are florescent lights.

The big box floating above the cabinets is the air filter.

That's a clamp rack between the workbenches.

The bottom of the electrical outlets are 48" from the ground. I will probably bump that up another few inches to give more safety room with wires.

With the exception of the jointer/planer and the DC, moving the tools shouldn't need to happen on a regular basis.

The miter saw needs to be moved more to the wall with the window. Centered on the table, it only has a max cut length of just under 6'. I figure having 8-10' of cut length would save me from having to use the circular saw or moving the miter saw.

Workshop-framed-front-v2.png

View image in gallery

ZachEakes

New User
Zach
Outlet height depends on where you are working... higher is better if you are working on the bench... But even better for benches, is mounted up under the bench its self with a clear shelf space to set the jig saw, circular saw that is plugged in. Top of the bench outlets are nice for detail work with grinders and polishers, but the tools and cords get in the way when they start to multiply. Lower is better if the cord is on the floor going to where you are working, as the trip height isn't as great when your cord is just quite not long enough... Make sure you have an outlet or 4 right beside the door ways. 90 degree/ right angle plugs are also a neat trick for equipment that stays plugged in...

I would pull the table saw further off the wall, if you need to make a mitered cut longer than 4 feet you'll be in a jam to the right side... or dado the sides of a book shelf.

Skill saws aren't all bad, so long as one edge of your work is jointed. Particularly on long stuff since you can bring the saw to your work instead of having to clear out a path to the miter saw.

I have a preference for makita and dewalt circular saws as they don't throw chips in your face and seem to have more power, and last longer than most. I use Freud diablo framing blades... They'll cut a radius better than 1/2 inch per foot in 2x stuff. They follow a line like a razor too, don't look at the guide... but the front of the blade where it is taking the material. Speed squares of varying size for 90's. Put the cleated side of the square on the far side of the work and make sure the motor on your saw is high enough to clear your hand.

There are also protractor guides that work like speed squares... Don't buy the stanley...

I'm fond of this style saw horse. I make them stackable with 3/4 plywood on the end pieces, and one a few inches narrower than the other so they are easily stackable. A sheet of 3/4 plywood on top with a screw or two is a decent work bench. I normally make mine 36 inches tall, 2 inches taller than most saws so I can stack up lumber to be ripped and feed it down hill off the forward one through the saw... http://woodworking.about.com/od/shopequipmentsupplies/ss/woodSawhorses.htm

Bomb proof and not wobbly... Made out of #1 treated and stainless screws they can stay outside and not be harmed any more than your back porch. #2 treated is quite wet, and heavy...

If your air compressor must be inside... consider mounting your air compressor on a shelf over the jointer, up as high as you can put it in the corner. Not only does this free up your under bench storage, but it makes it much easier to drain the tank of condensation at the end of the day. Getting down on my hands and knees in saw dust is the last thing I want to do at the end of the day... but if you don't you'll rust out the tank. Use black iron pipe as a condenser coming off the tank straight down to a trap with a petcock drain... The black iron pipe means your water seperator doesn't have to be as nice... Ideally you'd have close to 20 feet of pipe, so think about a U shape straight down from the tank to a petcock, back up to the ceiling and across your doorway, back down right beside your work bench. Put a T in front of your regulator with a valve and a quick connect so you can get "Shop air" at 110-120psi. Then put a T down stream of your regulator so you can have a long hose ready to go coiled and hooked up (valved off) and a short whip for working right a the bench.

The cadilac approach is to have a third line coming straight down from the ceiling over the bench with your plastic coil hose hanging just higher than your head... so you can snap in your nail gun shoot a few nails, pop the quick connect and it bounces back out of the way. Put valves on everything and plumb in the line from the tank to the black iron without a quick connect.

Don't bother with the off brand stuff, spring for milton (M type... grin) quick connects as they don't leak and rust up. Without the valves you'll have the compressor kicking on and off while you are thinking hard throughout the day... or have to wait 5 minutes when you want air.

Lowes and Home Depot water seperators aren't worth a flip... So get a decent brand name with a dessicant filter and a big glass bowl. My preference is one regulator on the main line and use the air adjustment on the cup gun to work from there... Set your air pressure with the trigger pulled.

Don't underestimate the glory of a brad nail gun for building jigs. Apply glue to the pieces, pop in a few nails and put it to use. No 3rd hand, no clamps...

If you haven't bought the compressor yet, don't get an oil-less one. They are obnoxiously loud until you've run them a few hundred hours... then your ears are half dead, and the head is finally broken in. Get the biggest tank you can afford, and a 240v motor running a dual piston head if you can swing it... Getting up to 110psi on a big tank 120v motors get hot and like to pop breakers if they aren't wired in on with a big gauge wire. Cast iron on the head, cry once... All this is if you are going to do some spray painting and want to be able to run some air tools. Air Da's are a beautiful thing... but long board sanders mean you can make a rounded corner post flat true and perfect without as much sweat.

Zach

manfre

New User
Manfre
I have an old 8 gallon, 1 HP air compressor that is at least 20 years old. It sat in my parents' garage for over 15 years, buried behind stuff with the only sign of its existance was the power plug (no on/off switch) and the air hose. Given the life of mine, I'm not overly concerned with a new air compressor rusting through from not draining the condensation.

I hope to move it outside at some point in the near future and having it connect to a retractable wall or ceiling mount reel in the center of the shop. I'm also toying with the idea of running a buried air line from my workshop to my covered porch near the back of my driveway ~100' away. Blowing the spring pollen off of the porch is a lot faster and easier than sweeping it. I'm also tired of lugging the little 3 gallon pancake compressor and an extension cord whenever I need to fill a tire.

I'm working on version 3 of the layout, which has the table saw scaled properly to the size of a cabinet sawstop with 36" fence. That brings it out further from the wall. I'm also changing out the single stationary workbench behind the TS to be two movable benches that will provide me a lot more flexibility and allow me to move the TS and it's outfeed workbench to support cutting larger pieces.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Workshop_with_52_in_sawstop.png

I tinkered a bit more with the sketchup layout and it seems that I can fit a sawstop with the 52" rails. I made models of the sawstop pro cabinet saw with both 36" and 52" rails, if anyone wants them. They are not stylish, but the table dimensions, miter slots and cabinet footprint are accurate.

This layout seems to let me maintain plenty of floor space to reposition tools as needed, but not requiring it most of the time. The bandsaw has a woodriver base with the fixed wheels lined up so it can roll straight away from the wall when I am doing more than preparing blanks for turning. I also ditched the idea of storing plywood in the workshop. Even though it's over 100' away, I'll just stow it in the other shed.

I can't wait until one of these layouts becomes a reality.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I like this, it's a nice clean layout. Leaves you plenty of room to move yourself and your tools around the shop.

Plywood storage takes up quite a bit of floor and wall space. I think you're decision to store it elsewhere makes good sense.

I have my sheet good stored on a mobile cart, but it still takes up a lot of space. My lumber storage is out in the garage. A bit of PITA to pick through, but doesn't take up any shop wall space.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice layout. I think going for the longer rails was a good call. The only concern I'd have is the amount of infeed space you have to the table saw. Also, have you considered changing the orientation of the table saw (and outfeed table)? If you rotate them 180 degrees, you can put the jointer next to the table saw/ outfeed table (with the rack and pinion system slipping under the table). It's very convenient having a place to put your stock as you're processing it. You could then move the DC to where the jointer is, making it easier to empty the bag/ clean the filter since you're close to the exit.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The plan is looking better w/ each version. :icon_thum Like Bas mentioned, the infeed space for the TS might be an issue if you have long boards or a sheet of plywood. How much trouble will it be to move the lathe out of the way?

Most of us have a lot of wasted space in our shops, whether we realize it or not: under counters or work benches, along walls, windows, the ceilings, etc. Matthew Teague has done a great job of maximizing his space utilization. Some good ideas there.

Bill

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
In addition one of my recent projects has been to mount all of my small bench power tooling, grinder, WS300, Belt sander etc, to plywood bases with a "tongue" extending from a dado in the bottom. I am using the tongue to mount the machines as needed into a small bench vise mounted to a mobile workstation(read sharpening station and lathe storage.) When not in use It is very easy to remove these tools and store them under the bench out of the way.

Last edited:

manfre

New User
Manfre
Bas, assuming I understood you correctly, that would make a < 2' choke point between each half of the workshop. The picture was not entirely accurate because the jointer is actually a jointer/planer and the jointer bed sits at 38". Your suggestion did give me the idea for a layout that I like even better than the last one.

The doorways are 5' wide and the right door overlaps the left and must be opened first. The doorway half blocked by the TS (West) is closest to my house and is how I will enter the workshop, but it will rarely be used to move in/out large objects*. I currently only open the right door to enter/exit and blocking the left half with a movable object is doable. The doorway by the bandsaw (North) will primarily function as a loading bay.

The previous workbench is now in the NW corner directly below a window. It is also in a good position to serve as an in feed table for a router extension (not shown on the TS extension) and for the TS. I added a small 2' x 3' outfeed table that will be on wheels. This can be moved to be an out feed for the router extension. It is also positioned close enough to the jointer/planer that I can use it to hold boards before/after. There is 3' clearance around each corner of the TS and out feed table. This ensures plenty of walking space and room to move the DC around the shop.

I really like the workflow for sheets with this layout. They'll enter through the N door and have a place to rest on in feed, TS and/or out feed.

Workshop_with_52_in_sawstop_blocking_door.png

* I will move large, finished projects out of the doors blocked by the table saw if the project is destined for the downstairs of my house.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I like to put the bandsaw and drill press side-by-side to use the drill press table as an outfeed for longer pieces cut on the bandsaw.

manfre

New User
Manfre
...the infeed space for the TS might be an issue if you have long boards or a sheet of plywood. How much trouble will it be to move the lathe out of the way

Agreed. I was capped at 8' boards without moving the TS. Being able to handle 10' boards without moving anything is one of the reasons I like the new layout better. The lathe is not bolted down, but it does weigh ~100 lbs. It can be moved, if needed. For using the miter saw, I plan on sliding it back on the counter.

In addition one of my recent projects has been to mount all of my small bench power tooling, grinder, WS300, Belt sander etc, to plywood bases with a "tounge" extending from a dado in the bottom. I am using the tounge to mount the machines as needed into a small bench vise mounted to a mobile workstation(read sharpening station and lathe storage.) When not in use It is very easy to remove these tools and store them under the bench out of the way.

That's a really good idea. I was planning on using plywood bases for the bench top tools, but was going to clamp them down to the top of a bench. Your idea would be a faster set up and hold a lot better. Having that on a small movable cart makes it easier to get a wider range of angles on the tool.

I like to put the bandsaw and drill press side-by-side to use the drill press table as an outfeed for longer pieces cut on the bandsaw.

Good idea. I didn't think of using the adjustable height drill press table as an extra out feed for any tools. It'll require a bit of wheeling, but may come in handy for either the jointer, BS or pantorouter.

charlie jones

New User
Charlie
Moving fast. This takes me back to '94 and my shop build. A word of advise, insulate and do the interior before using it for years. (don't ask me how I found out about that):wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS