Manfre's Workshop Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I convinced my wife that I needed a workshop and a 12'x20' barn style shed is being built along the property line. The obnoxiously loud, outdoor dogs that will soon be blocked by the workshop did help my argument. The walls are 7', but pitch up quickly and the peak is 13'. I do have to sacrifice some head space with 4' deep lofts at the narrow ends for misc storage.

The before picture with one of the dogs barking excessively. Thankfully, only the gate's post was cemented in place. It took me less than 20 minutes to open it up.

DSC_5189.JPG

View image in gallery

It took two guys from Carolina Yard Barns less than 2 hours to haul everything, level it and construct the base.

The build should be completed by Friday. Waiting on an inspection and dry weather.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
New shops of any size and shape are just wonderful. Good luck and keep the pics coming.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Congratulations on your new workspace. Doesn't Cary have any set-back requirements? Even in our small town I had a 15' setback from the side and back property lines as well as a permit. I would hate to have you post later that it had to come down and be relocated.

George

manfre

New User
Manfre
The set back for an unattached structure is 5' and attached is 10' (r12 zoning). The workshop sits about 5'3" at its closest.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Congratulations on the new shop. What other plans do have for this building? Electric, insulation, heat, a/c?

It's bizarre how different counties have different zoning regulations. Here in Johnston county the side setbacks are just the opposite. 5' for attached and 10' for detached. Go figure.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Congrats on getting a new shop started. And like Scott said, keep those pics coming. We love pics! :gar-Bi

Bill

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
NEW SHOP!!! GREAT!!!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers Yer gonna block the little doggy's view though.

Neighbors little DOGGY:qright5:

manfre

New User
Manfre
After an unnecessarily frustrating process, the footings have passed inspection and the floors and framing will happen tomorrow! I'm burning vacation time tomorrow, so there will be plenty of pictures.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Interesting construction sequence....build the floor then pour the footings:dontknow:
Inspection form lists it as the footing inspection. It was basically verifying the placement of the cement blocks, runner spacing, joist spacing, cantilever spacing and set backs.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Moving right along. Looks like you will have plenty of storage options in the 'attic'.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
:icon_thum I would really consider adding insulation before you go any further. OBS provides no R values.

manfre

New User
Manfre
:icon_thum I would really consider adding insulation before you go any further. OBS provides no R values.
The walls and ceiling will be insulated after I run the electrical. The inside walls will be finished with OSB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS