Klingspor Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

New User
Steve
I really think we should make the annual klingspor event, a standard NCWW event. First many of us go there and it gives us something "official" to do in the western part of the state. (Depending on the outcome, participation, etc. of CaptnA's picnic, we might want to make that an official event next year).

Anyway, I would like to see us do 2 different things at Klingspor. One would be a set of demos, presentations, etc. to fill most of the 2 days. And the other would be our own woodworking contest. In another thread, we should be discussing what the categories are.

So, what do you think? Yes, no, details, etc.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I agree about the "officiality" of the Klingspor show. That was the first "gathering" that I attended right after this site started. Woodguy talked it up on Woodnet, but if it wasn't for the comradery I found on this site I probably wouldn't have attended.
I definitely agree with the contest aspect. But I wonder about the demos. There is only a few things that can be easily demoed (portability of machinery) and most of those things are already being demoed by other clubs.

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

I think it is a stellar idea to make it an "official" NCWW event. We have always had a good turnout and by adding the demonstrations and contest aspects, we should attract even more existing members and new prospects. I agree with Dave that there are challenges with doing demos, but I can think of many ideas that involve small tools -- e.g., A tool sharpening demo involving people showing use of the Worksharp, a Tormek or Grizzly and traditional "scary sharp" methods; pen turning; making face frames using biscuits, Kreg Jig and the Festool Domino; hand cutting dovetails; Scroll sawing ... and I'm sure others can come up with additional ideas.

T

toolferone

As a club/forum member I love the idea. As a retail manager I sit in Colman's chair and wonder if it would compete/distract from the show. I think some of our members would want to enter something in their show, there could be some personal conflict. Also, I am not sure about demoing tools that they don't sell. Now if some of this was closed to non-forum folks, then Coleman would not mind, but that would be self defeating for us.

Anyway???

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
Steve,

Would it make sense to discuss this with the folks at Klingspoor and see what they would like to see as an enhancement to their event. I agree with Tom in that we don't want to come across as a competing entity. At the same time, they seem to be very receptive to NCWW'rs participation, at least from my perspective. Since I have never been able to attend, I am speaking from an absentee view point.

Mike

M

McRabbet

In the "for what its worth" department, the only item I mentioned that Klingspor does not sell is the Grizzly sharpening system and I don't know anyone that own one. I didn't make last year's event, but I recall seeing demos of Jet and Delta lathes, the Tormek and a Kreg jig -- Klingspor also carries the Worksharp and we've done pen turning each year. I agree that you'll want to clear it with Coleman, but I think he'd be pleased if we demonstrated full time!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
IMHO NCWW should offer up our services for doing demos and then let the store management decide if they want the help and what they want demos of. Of course the demo should be using tools sold by Klingspor.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
We have worked with the Raleigh Klingspor in a similar capacity. It should be very simple to coordinate witht hem in a similar manner.

As far as the contest goes, I thought the categories at the Raleigh Klingspor event were well thought out. Split by age groups and skill levels.

Doug

sapwood

New User
Roger
Another vote for making Klingspor's Hickory event an "official" part of NCWWer events. It's a great venue; it's one of the biggest in the state; and Coleman has been very generous to allow NCWWer space and an opportunity to promote ourselves.

Oh yeah, it's fun too :mrgreen:

Roger

SteveColes

New User
Steve
Steve,

Would it make sense to discuss this with the folks at Klingspoor and see what they would like to see as an enhancement to their event. I agree with Tom in that we don't want to come across as a competing entity. At the same time, they seem to be very receptive to NCWW'rs participation, at least from my perspective. Since I have never been able to attend, I am speaking from an absentee view point.

Mike

As a club/forum member I love the idea. As a retail manager I sit in Colman's chair and wonder if it would compete/distract from the show. I think some of our members would want to enter something in their show, there could be some personal conflict. Also, I am not sure about demoing tools that they don't sell. Now if some of this was closed to non-forum folks, then Coleman would not mind, but that would be self defeating for us.

Anyway???

Well, I talked to Coleman yesterday on the for quite awhile.

Demos:

He would love us to do demos. All he asks, is that we tell him what demos, we'll do,etc. He would then enter them into his Master schedule. He would want to make sure that formal demos did not interfere with each other. For example, he would prefer if there were not 2 demos of making goblets at the same time. Depending on the demo and the tools and space needed, he would provide one of the Classroom setups for the demo, much as he has for Woodguy in the past.

Contests:

There would be NO CONFLICT for any contest we would hold, except for carving. He would prefer that any carving be done through one of the carving org that are participating, because Klingspor has traditionally sponsored the big carving contest.

And if we hold our contest and it was limited to NCWW members, then there is not even a chance of any he conflict that he would worry about. And of course, I would expect us to limit the entries to our members in good standing. Whatever that means.

cskipper

Cathy
I'll help with the scrolling demos too. Last year I drew a crowd every time I turned the saw on - only took a break for lunch. Scott and other scrollers, bring a couple of finished pieces for folks to look at when hanging around the demos.

SteveColes

New User
Steve
Steve:

What demos does Coleman have planned as of now?

Doug
I don't think he works it like that. There maybe a few that he asks some particular org or vendor to supply, but in general, different orgs and people volunteer to them.

He doesn't seem too concerned about competing demos, just the timing and the resource allocation. So in a day or two, I will be starting a thread/signup in the regular forums for doing demos.

SteveColes

New User
Steve
Before, we go much further, I think I better try to explain what I am trying to accomplish with the Klingspor event.

Once we become a legal entity, a non-profit, tax deductable (soon I hope), The website becomes a service of the entity. The entity is formed for educational purposes. So we are participating at the Klingspor event for educational reasons.

Another aspect of that is shifting the perception of what we are. To that purpose, we need to highlight more of our woodworking. The Klingspor event is a great and FREE venue to do that. Plus of course, we can still have the social aspects.

So the Demos & Contest further the educational & perception goals.

SteveColes

New User
Steve
With all that said and kept in mind, let's get back to contest categories, NOT calendar cats, just contest ones.

Gator said:
I think that for PR and Showmanship reasons, more entries per division is better than fewer (down to one) entries in many divisions.

Here, I feel that Gator has hit it right on the nose.:thumbs_up:eusa_clap BUT

Gator said:
I would think that three or four categories with two divisions in each.

Turning

Furniture

Scroll

Mixed

with beginner and advanced divisions in each.

I think that under Turning, you would have fairly simple spindle work in beginners and bowls, platters, Hollow Forms and advanced pens (such as Eagle's) in the advanced.

Under Furniture, I think that the same thing would happen. Most of the complex stuff (rockers etc) would be done by members in the advanced division.

Scroll, intrasia is scroll but on an advanced level.

Mixed would be turnings with pyrography or tables with tile inlay or other examples of mixed media so to speak.

Here I still have a problem. I just can't see pens competing against Bowls or Rockers against tables:nah: But I also see the issue of beginners:BangHead::BangHead:

Is there some way to to combine the 2 ideas. How about this. No divisions, just cats::widea:

• Spindle Turning
  • Face plate turning
  • Pen Turning
  • Small - Boxes, etc
  • Chairs/Rockers
  • Large - Other furniture
  • Scroll Sawing
  • Miscellaneous
  • Beginners - any category
That would get us back to almost 8 cats. Gator or anyone else, want to help find a compromise in here somewhere?:dontknow::help:

gator

George
Corporate Member
For me, the key is still, anticipated number or entries. With 25-30+ entries, then I don't see anything wrong with 8 categories. I would say that in order to help reach that many entries that we would allow multiple entries per person (although I think that I would restrict that to only one entry per category).

George

sapwood

New User
Roger
But I also see the issue of beginners:BangHead::BangHead:

Is there some way to to combine the 2 ideas. How about this. No divisions, just cats::widea:

• Spindle Turning
  • Face plate turning
  • Pen Turning
  • Small - Boxes, etc
  • Chairs/Rockers
  • Large - Other furniture
  • Scroll Sawing
  • Miscellaneous
  • Beginners - any category
That would get us back to almost 8 cats. Gator or anyone else, want to help find a compromise in here somewhere?:dontknow::help:

:icon_thum On having one overall category for beginners. It's difficult to quantify beginners.

Chairs/rockers may or may not merit separate category, but I would be surprised if there were more than 4-5 entries.

Although it may seem like a lot to some, 3 categories for turning accurately reflects forum post activity . . . over 10,000 posts.

And if you lump Small/Boxes, Chair/Rockers, Large, Miscellaneous and Beginner that gives 5 categories that could be classified as General Woodworking (~35,000 posts).

Overall, I think this is an excellent mix that reflects forum activity and will attract entrants.

Good job, Steve!
Roger

cskipper

Cathy
Well, I have a question, even though the answer is probably obvious. The contest means bringing the piece entered to the event, correct? How many folks who travel much distance and make furniture will want to transport a piece of furniture? If they come up the night before the event they have to figure out what to do with it that night. Might make car-pooling for those planning it a little more difficult. I hope everybody brings an entry. It might prove difficult it what they built is the bed, or chest of drawers, desk....

As for categories - I know that the scrolling forum does not have as many members or posts as the other categories. However, intarsia is so amazing that it really over shadows other fret-type work.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Well now that we are asking questions, :rotflm:, how are the beginners to be separated from the advanced people? Would it be a measure of how long the individual has been doing woodworking, their overall skill level or just how is that determined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS