I'm stumped..how to make these???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Here I go again on another jewelry box saga. I really like the design of these boxes and they are relatively easy to make, but I am getting stumped on how to make the dividers customizable. Normally I notch joint the strips that form the dividers. Is there any way to make then so they can be repositioned, without exposing any empty joinery?

03.3.3.01.1.1.jpg

Thanks for any advice:-D

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Grrrrrr.........I am having a heck of a time getting my reply through on this thread. Here goes my 3d attempt.

That is another awesome box design Dave. I recall seeing it before but I can't remember where. I understand your desire to make the dividers adjustable but I am just as stumped as you are right now. I'll give it some thought to see if I can come up with an idea for you. I am sure someone here will have a good suggestion.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
D L Ames said:
Grrrrrr.........I am having a heck of a time getting my reply through on this thread. Here goes my 3d attempt.

D L

Thanks D L
What's the problem with reply to this thread, we just got the photo album crap figured out :eusa_doh:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I think you and I are being handicapped.:lol: I am not sure what was going on earlier but I tried to reply twice using the "reply" button and once I hit the submit button it took forever to load and then took me to the screen of death (server not found...hit the back button...yadi yadi). I finally used the "post a quick reply" button for my 3d attempt and it worked fine. Steve will probably tell me I have too many Oreos or Chips Ahoy in my cache or something.:lol:

D L

Edit: the "Post Reply" button worked fine this time.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:eusa_thin :eusa_thin :eusa_thin Yep, there's a conspiracy going on. I haven't had any problems with replies..yet. Maybe you just had a bandwidth fart :lol:

cskipper

Cathy
:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: You guys weren't supposed to connect the dots and realize that it was indeed a plot to slow your posts down!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Obviously I'm kidding and have no idea why you were having difficulty.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Dave, I hope you can figure that problem (movable dividers) out, because I will be following this box very closely. I like the fact that it isn't very large, which means if I make one for my wife, I won't end up having to buy her a whole bunch more jewelry!

SteveColes

New User
Steve
D L Ames said:
.......Steve will probably tell me I have too many Oreos or Chips Ahoy in my cache or something.:lol: ......
Wow am I slow this morning:roll: It took me 3 reads until I understood your reference. I think my brain cells are dying at a more rapid rate than usual. Anyway, once I caught it, I blew coffee through my nose.:crybaby2:

T

toolferone

DaveO said:
Here I go again on another jewelry box saga. I really like the design of these boxes and they are relatively easy to make, but I am getting stumped on how to make the dividers customizable. Normally I notch joint the strips that form the dividers. Is there any way to make then so they can be repositioned, without exposing any empty joinery?
Thanks for any advice:-D

Dave, what about lining the bottom under the felt with a piece of sheet metal and then make the dividers with rare earth magnets in the bottom Lee valley has some unique magnet designs. Make up different size dividers and they could be moved around, added or removed as needed.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Dave,

I'm having trouble thinking of how the dividers can be moveable and still look good. I can imagine a divider section perpendicular to and held between two parallel dividers. That would give you movement along one axis. I would worry that moving these dividers might mar the finish on them. :BangHead:

I remember seeing the comment about moveable in an earleer thread... who said that... and how does he suggest that this be accomplished? (I don't remember seeing the answer... just the comment.)

Ray

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
Wow am I slow this morning:roll: It took me 3 reads until I understood your reference. I think my brain cells are dying at a more rapid rate than usual. Anyway, once I caught it, I blew coffee through my nose.:crybaby2:

Well I am glad to see your awake now Steve.:lol: Just remember.........you don't actually have to pass the coffee through your nose in order to smell it.:lol:

D L

rick7938

New User
Rick
Of course I am a rank amateur at this woodworking, but how about drilling a series of small holes on the side of each of the fixed dividers like the ones you see in adjustable shelves. Then put small pins on the end of the dividers that you want to be adjustable. It would be tedious and time consuming, but at least the holes would not be visible from the top like the notches would be. Of course the fixed dividers would have to be in notches so that you could lift them out to relocate the moveable dividers.

Just a thought.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Cool.....the good ideas are starting to flow. I like both of the suggestions made by Tom and Rick, which of course helped to energize my thinking process. How about making the short dividers narrower than the main dividers then cut evenly spaced V-grooves in the main dividers and miter the ends of the short dividers? The main dividers would have to be permanently fixed in place and the small dividers could then be moved left or right to adjust the width of the compartments. Of course this could lead to marring the finish as Ray points out but how often will the dividers actually be moved.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I probably should just make them fixed like I always do...some of these suggestions are getting complicated...great ideas, but complicated. The maker that I am borrowing the styling from talks about the customizable dividers and Big Mike (da' box master) spoke of removable dividers in my last thread on jewelry boxes. Alas, he didn't say how he made them (maybe he'll enlighten us soon). I have sent an e-mail to the maker of the original box, maybe he will share his secret. Or I could be reading too much into this and they are done like I normally do and the notches are visible if you move the dividers out of there original location. Or possibly when he makes the boxes you can specify how the dividers are spaced out...customized???
We'll see if I get a reply from him. BTW here is the site with all of his work http://www.jewelry-chests.com/

rick7938

New User
Rick
Yeah, Dave. Our grand ideas are great, but you're the one who has to execute. I had an old 1SG in the 82nd whose favorite saying was, "It's my job to decide if a chicken needs to pull a freight train. It's your job to figure how to hook him up and make it work."

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolf: I like that analogy. I'll have to borrow that, it describes my boss very well :icon_thum

M

McRabbet

Dave,

Here's a fairly straight-forward solution that won't show joints in any configuration and it is easier (IMHO) that earlier suggestions. I'll call it the "Lincoln Log" solution.

First, standardize on the length of the short dividers -- you show 4 from front-to-back -- make another and assume that the existing small compartments are the smallest you'd ever want. Make the long dividers in some optional lengths, cut at 1/2 way across the lap joint. Obviously, you need to make extras and the ends touching the box sides could have a small pin near the bottom to engage them into the sides. These half lap joints could be shallow on the long divider pieces and deep on the standard short dividers (clarified below).

Second, cut the shallow half lap joints at additional intervals on the short dividers to correspond to all possible partition positions.

For example, in the illustrated box, if you wanted six even-sized compartments, add a shallow half-lap at the middle of each short divider and exchange each "two-compartment" long divider sections with two short ones. If the top divider half laps are 2/3's to 3/4's shallower than the corresponding ones on the long divider segments, they should be close to invisible if unused, yet long enough to secure the partition segments from each side.

Clear as mud?

Rob

cskipper

Cathy
How about making the short dividers narrower than the main dividers then cut evenly spaced V-grooves in the main dividers and miter the ends of the short dividers? The main dividers would have to be permanently fixed in place and the small dividers could then be moved left or right to adjust the width of the compartments.

Hey -that's what I was going to say!!

cskipper

Cathy
That site is indeed awe-inspiring. The description of the dividers says they can be removed to reconfigure spacenot moved. That would be much easier - make the removable ones cutout to fit over the fixed ones. They could be lifted outfor a larger section. You'd have to finish the bottom and install the removable parts after that so it wouldn't look funny if removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS