HVLP Sprayer Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Dad's Day = new HVLP sprayer? At least that's my plan!! :lol:

Travis, you've given good reviews on the PC PSH1. Have you sprayed shellac and lacquer or just TC USL lacquer? Would I need another tip besides the standard tip? Also, the cup is plastic...any problems there? Did you buy local or web?

Any other recommendations from the group would be greatly appreciated. Price does matter but I'd like to know I'm buying something I can use for the next ten years.

Chuck

dave_the_woodworker

New User
Update your profile with your name
Chuck,

For what it's worth, I've been using Apollo HVLP equipment for about 30 years and am really happy with it. I use several of their turbines and both their gravity feed and pressure-feed cup guns. The thing I like about them is that they are totally stainless steel so they don't have any chemical interaction problems with any finishes. Aluminum, for instance, can react with water based finishes in a bad way. I've sprayed a a wide range of water based finishes (Hydrocote and Target more recently), shellac, stains (both alcohol and water based), mineral spirit based varnishes and solvent based lacquers. They may be more expensive with the equipment you refer to since I'm not familiar with it but I think they are worth the price.

Good luck with spraying. Once you get used to it I'm sure you will put down the vast majority of your finishes with it. It works great!

Dave

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Chuck,

Travis has been pleased with his gun and the Wagner conversion gun has received good marks as well. I have a Walcom STM and an Asturo BR. I am very pleased with both of those guns and both were purchased from Jeff Jewitt at www.homesteadfinishing.com. You need to make sure that your compressor has enough CFM to run whatever conversion gun you buy as they use a decent amount of air.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Steve D said:
Chuck,

Travis has been pleased with his gun and the Wagner conversion gun has received good marks as well. I have a Walcom STM and an Asturo BR. I am very pleased with both of those guns and both were purchased from Jeff Jewitt at www.homesteadfinishing.com. You need to make sure that your compressor has enough CFM to run whatever conversion gun you buy as they use a decent amount of air.

My compressor is a Sears20 gallon...rated 4.5HP (pretty impressive considering it's 15 amp@120VAC). OK, I'm not buying the HP rating from Sears. :lol: :lol:

But it states 8.4 scfm at 40psi and 6.2 scfm at 90 psi. I assume they mean psig. ;-)

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
IMO, all the recommendations given are excellent. To me, it is obvious Steve and Dave both know their stuff based on the guns they have. From what I have read they are all considered excellent. It all depends on what you want to spend or have spent on you.:eusa_danc

For me, I bought mine locally at the spur of the moment. I got it for 10 percent off at Woodcraft. My total expenditure to get it going was pretty I would say in total less than $100 with what I already had on hand.

I bought a gravity feed gun and I find it aggravating to get into odd spaces. Conversely, I find a cup gun just as aggravating when I tried with a regular spray gun. I would imagine the pressure pot is the best way to go, but that is mucho dinero.

As for mine, it has been pretty easy to clean, came with a brush and a couple of wrenches which is nice, but the manual is the pits. I got more info from Steve and a few others than it came close to providing.

Lets see, you commented on what I have sprayed. I have sprayed Target USL to date. I am scared to spray anything but waterbased. I tried spraying un-thinned interior latex and that was a mistake. I have the floetrol now to try it again, but haven't had the need yet. As far as needle sizes, Woodguy commented to me that he only had the one, and that is all I have. Needles aren't two cheap. IIRC, they were $25 to $40 each for the gun I have and I don't think you can get parts easily locally.

There will be a couple of other things you want if you don't have them. A decent respirator with replacable cartridges that you can get at the BORG for around $30, strainers which are cheap, and a box fan to pull the air out.

The gun I have says 8.5 CFM at 45 PSI. It isn't like you run it constantly so I would think your compressor would be big enough, but others will know better than me.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
My 2 cents worth.
I have a Lex-Aire turbine and gun. It is a 3-stage and I can spray two guns at the same time or I can use a pressure-pot. I have used this system to spray any imaginable finish (water-based, stains, shellac, varnish ) but paint. I will NOT spray paint in my guns - even if you get it sparkling clean, you will get some paint in your lacq. finish the next time you use it. I also have a couple of Binks compressor guns, but rarely use.
I used this system, and still do, in a furniture refinishing/restoration business I ran for 20 yrs. It is the only way to go.
I think I paid the outrageous price of $300 for it back then. Now I think the same system (with improvements) runs a little over a grand. But if you have to start out buying a compressor and then good guns you are going to spend almost that much.
Jim in Mayberry

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Thanks all for the suggestions. I looked at all of them and they look to be well built.

Due to pricing pressure from the CFO I am leaning hard toward the PC PSH1. Amazon has it for 82 bucks with superaver free shipping. The unit comes with a regulator, do I need anything else? Travis, you mentioned a strainer, is this in-line on the air supply side? What about a water separator...is that needed?

TIA

Chuck

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Chuck: all couple of observations:

1. Yes, you will want an oil/water separator. If you are going to be using your compressor for other air tools, I suggest you make a small frame of scrap 2 x 4s to mount it on with QDs (quick disconnect fittings) on each side of it. Set it on the floor out of the way and run a hose from the compressor to it, and then another from it to your spray gun. You won't need it for the air tools. If you do this, mark one air hose for painting, and only usi it downstream of the separator. The hoses you connect straight to the compressor will have oil and/or water in them after the first use.

2. It appears from the picture that the "regulator" is the knob on the side of the gun. This is a "volume regulator". It is basically a needle valve that restricts air flow. They work and are usable, but if you are running 80 psi to the gun, you will get an 80 psi blast when each time you initially pull the trigger. A "pressure regulator" is much better, and they are also made small enough to attach to the air inlet at the base of the handle. You can distinguish them by the fact that they will have a small guage on them. With it, regardless of hose pressure you will get what you set it at (i.e 45 psi for ex) continuously from initial pull onwards.

3. For an HVLP gun you need air volume. Use 3/8" ID hose up to within 10' of the gun. If you want to put a short section of 1/4" ID at the gun for more flexibility, it will have minimal effect, but 25" of 1/4" hose significantly restricts volume (very difficult to maintain 8 cfm through it)

4. All air hoses are not the same. Pick them up and bend them. You want the most flexible you can find. The stiff ones are more durable for heavy construction work or dragging over concrete, but are a pain to lay out flat and to roll up when you are done. They are normally rated for about 300 psi. BTW, I am not a fan of these self-coiling vinyl hoses except for airing tires or using with a blower for cleaning chips off a drill press. They will cause you a lot of grief attached to a spray gun unless suspended overhead..

5. The strainers Travis mentioned look like paper funnels with a mesh screen in the bottom. They are used to strain the coating to ensure their are no lumps, etc in it. One lump lodged in the fluid orifice keeping the trigger open will run a coating job in a hurry. In a pinch you can use cheesecloth, but its messier and doesn't do as good a job.

6. If you can't find spray paint stuff at the box store, look at Car Quest or other automotive store that carries a good line of auto finishing supplies (By the way, they are cheaper on wet-dry sandpaper than Lowes or HD and usually carry up to 4000 g)

7. Go to dollar general and buy a cheap set of stainless steel measuring cups. They are great for accurately measuring coating ratios, and also are handy for filling the gun cup. Use 'em, throw 'em in coffee can half full of DNA (or the thinner used with your coating) and put the lid on, fish 'em out, wipe 'em off and they're ready for the next gun load. DNA and IPA (isoproplyl alcohol) by the way, are EPA "Exempt" solvents, and work well as a cleaners for most wet or soft coatings except lacquer. The IPA I'm referring to is commercial IPA from a coating store, not the water diluted stuff from the drug store.

Hope this helps:lol:

Go

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I bought cheap cone paper paint strainers from the BORG to strain finish before putting it in the gun. The PSH1 comes with a strainer in the cup, but I figure it is better to strain before.

I did buy an inline water seperator from the BORG for $10 as well. It is just silica crystals. Just be sure to seal it when not in use or it will use itself up.

The price you are getting from Amazon is cheaper than I got mine so I would say you are doing well. As for finishes, I am now hooked on Target USL. It is awesome stuff and the price IIRC was about $17 a gallon.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Travis Porter said:
I bought cheap cone paper paint strainers from the BORG to strain finish before putting it in the gun. The PSH1 comes with a strainer in the cup, but I figure it is better to strain before.

I did buy an inline water seperator from the BORG for $10 as well. It is just silica crystals. Just be sure to seal it when not in use or it will use itself up.

The price you are getting from Amazon is cheaper than I got mine so I would say you are doing well. As for finishes, I am now hooked on Target USL. It is awesome stuff and the price IIRC was about $17 a gallon.

Thanks for the info. Off we go!!!

Chuck

woodguy1975

New User
John
I'd highly recommend going with a turbine based Accuspray system. I've tried all the HVLP turbine systems and guns and accuspray is the best. I have a fuji turbine, but plan on upgrading my gun to the accuspray sometime in the near future.

I like turbines because it is known clean dry air. Get a little oil into your air line for one reason or another and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what happened to your finish.

I don't strain going into the cup. I use a strainer on the dip tube the a filters the finish just before it is atomized. Works great.

Good Luck,

John

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
when I was painting cars, we strained about two or three times, before we shot any final coatings. We never strained the primers, and used dedicated guns for them, but the final coatings were strained coming out of the can into the mix bucket, and going into the pressure pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS