How do I... Take (professional) pictures of my work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I saw Mzimbel's post: www.unit5woodworks.com

And Ed Fasano commented on the photography (which I agree with is awesome and shows off Matt's talents)

Which then got me thinking... (without putting Ed on the spot....)

Do we have or have we had a photography class?
I think it would be helpful and a lot of fun if someone was willing to host a class - maybe with "Here's the way the professionals do it, and here are some tips and trick for newbies that don't want to invest in yet another hobby!"

Tell me - does this idea have legs?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I know there are better photographers here than me, but here's my take on the subject

Camera - well generally cameras are so good these days that as long as you can control where it focuses, you should be fine. No need for very high megapixels - a 6 or 8 MP camera from 7 years ago should provide great pictures. Tripods are good thing, but not a requirement.

Background - less clutter means a better picture. Not sure what you are trying to photograph (a bed or a pen?) but a uniform color is a good first attempt.

And now - lighting! Once you get the basic setup, it is all about lighting control. Glossy items are just a nightmare - best off to photograph them before that final buffing.
A primary light, and often a lower brightness secondary light are used. More diffuse lighting creates less glare and softer shadows - which is why tents are used, to diffuse the light. There are whole books written on this subject. Try with what you have available - digital cameras allows you to do all this with no cost once you have the camera.

All I can say is that I am going to try some photography of a series of bowls - only 1 has a glossy finish though, so the rest should be relatively easy.

Henry

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Having the right person to look at your photos and say "look this is stupid, don't do this, try XXXX. Then use YYYY."

I know this because I had someone years ago and it helped a lot. But, I'm not that guy now. Things have changed and I have forgotten how to be harsh with students.

I need to take a class to improve. I do this stuff everyday, my photos are products and of products, in catalogs and on web sites.

but furniture is a whole different ball game.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
A good background is critical. Perhaps the most important and most difficult - particularly for large items. I borrowed a very large black backdrop from a friend who is an avid amateur photographer.

Next most important is lighting - you can get most of the benefits of professional light boxes by pointing a very bright light through a white sheet. This is what I did for my coffee table last year.

Your camera is much less important than the above 2 items. A modern $200 camera is a far more capable device than most of us will ever be able to use. Heck, even a much older mid-range digital camera will do well - mine is a 4-5 year old $220 camera (now worth ~$20). Get the right perspective and use a tripod (I used a $20 GorillaPod mounted on a chair back).

I'm not qualified to run a class, but I'll be happy to make recommendations based on my limited experience - feel free to PM me.

Good luck!
Chris

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Fine Woodworking had a decent write up in theJuly/August 2010 issue. If you have a membership to their online site, you can find the article here http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/a-woodworker’s-guide-to-photography.aspx

We also had someone do a presentation to the local WW club I belong to up here. He covered the points in the Fine Woodworking article. He stressed that clearing clutter and lighting. With minimum expenditure you can get a tripod, diffuser and get great photos.

I let my daughter take photos of my items, since she took several photography classes in college.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
My wife's father is a professional photographer that teaches classes down at the beach where they live. Many many years back, I think he taught a little at Wake Tech CC on photographer. He is coming up this weekend to help me take pictures of a couple of my projects. If their is enough interest, I could ask and see if he would be interested in teaching a Saturday class in the Triangle area this fall.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
From gesiak (aka John);
"We also had someone do a presentation to the local WW club I belong to up here. He covered the points in the Fine Woodworking article. He stressed that clearing clutter and lighting. With minimum expenditure you can get a tripod, diffuser and get great photos."

This is EXACTLY what I am thinking of - we find an expert, take a day... bring some pens, turnings, small furniture (or go where the furniture is...) and have someone show us the good, the bad and the ugly...

I knew a photographer, (a while ago) who said he shoots his digital "Raw" of course he has the set-up to do this, but he took a picture, and manipulated it in front of me in 10 minutes and showed me the 10 progressive "shots" and the end product that he charges for!

I am NOT suggesting we get quite that involved (unless someone wants to) but I do suggest we get that level of expertise! IMHO

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
My wife's father is a professional photographer that teaches classes down at the beach where they live. Many many years back, I think he taught a little at Wake Tech CC on photographer. He is coming up this weekend to help me take pictures of a couple of my projects. If their is enough interest, I could ask and see if he would be interested in teaching a Saturday class in the Triangle area this fall.

Robert - that would be great, let us know what your Father-in-Law says!
I am thinking of proposing a Charlotte, Statesville or Hickory location (maybe even multiple locations) to get as many of us involved as possible...

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
I agree completely with two key words that recur in the responses. Among the myriad of issues that challenge photography (regardless of the photograph’s subject), lighting and an uncluttered setting are paramount. Unfortunately, these problems escalate along with the physical size of the subject. Even so, lacking the luxuries of professional photographic skills and a well-equipped studio in which to work, if one understands a few fundamentals, better results are achievable.

I am not a professional photographer. My 38+ years of marketing and sales experience in the photographic industry has, however, afforded me the luxury of having worked with some of the world’s finest shooters and a broad assortment of state-of-the art gear. Along the way, I’ve acquired shooting skills that have crept to above average. That said and assuming that a member with professional product photography experience doesn’t step forward, I’d be happy to contribute what I know in some sort of Q&A learning session.

Candidly and admittedly, I’ve shared very few pictures on this site. Because (with apologies) the process has made me feel like the village idiot, Facebook has been the where I’ve posted examples of my woodworking and photography.

Managing expectations:
I do not have suitable space to host an event. I do not have, nor do I have the time to develop a well-structured course, which is why I describe the session as a Q&A. I do not have all the lighting gear that I might recommend for some situations, but do have a fair amount of equipment that is representative and would like get points across.
If I can help, I will. If someone better qualified steps forward to lead a group somewhere in my neck of the woods (Kernersville, NC +- 75 miles), I would be eager to attend.

Ed Fasano

Last edited:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Photography is another of my many hobbies. I'm not qualified to really teach anyone, especially as my equipment, software and such would likely be non-mainstream and cost more than I get a sense that some would like to spend here. That said, I'll share a technique I use when taking pictures of smaller things.

Untouched.jpgThe picture at left is the smaller mortise chisel I just completed.

This picture is untouched and just as it came from the camera, a Sony A580, It was shot against a piece of gray paper I got from Michael's suspended on a holder I made. More on that setup later.

Lighting was nothing more than a fluorescent desk lamp with a daylight bulb and a floor lamp with a 3-way incandescent bulb. The incandescent bulb is why you see the shading to more of a beige near the bottom on the background and was intentional.

The next picture, to the right is the same picture after touched.jpgI spent a little time in my digital darkroom, Paint Shop Pro X6.

A lot of people use Adobe Photoshop or Elements, also good software. I use Paint Shop Pro because it was the lesser cost package when I first started using it many years ago and I don't want to learn another package just to be mainstream. The learning curve on all these packages can be daunting - like Sketchup.

Anyway, all I did to the picture was adjust the color and apply a depth of field tool to blur out the background, isolating the tool in the picture.

Really, just two relatively simple adjustments to the original picture.
setup.jpg
To the left is the setup I used. Nothing fancy at all. The frame that holds the paper is knocked together from 1x2 pine. The paper is held on the frame with a couple of spring clips.

You can see the floor lamp in the upper right corner and the desk lamp in front. All the pictures here were shot from the same point, hand held, sitting in my desk chair, no tripod. I used the telephoto zoom to get close to avoid wide angle lens distortion. Then zoomed back for the shot of the setup.

This same setup can be scaled up. A larger frame, larger paper or cloth background, bigger lights, and you can get pictures of larger items.

I have larger lights for portrait work but they'd be overkill for small things like this.

Construction paper in different colors is dirt cheap and good for providing contrast.

Hope this is helpful and shows you can get decent pictures without a ton of special equipment.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
For small items, A sunny day with a light cloud cover works really well for a light source. For a light tent, I tape up 3 pieces of the plastic diffusers used in 4 bulb fluorescent fixtures. Floor piece, Vertical back piece and curve the top into a arc and add in a piece of tissue paper to erase the hard line at the bottom. If I work indoors with small objects, I use 2 clamp on light fixtures with CFL lamps. I cover this with household wax paper. My camera has a Fluorescent balance switch and I use the Picasa editing tools. I use a tripod for macro work or if I'm copying a book. Most of what I take are informational rather than promotional images. How something is assembled or an idea for a future project.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I can teach Photoshop if anyone wants to learn it. I taught my 12 yo daughter. Well, I taught all my kids but my daughter uses it the most. She's in college now and still uses it. Elements is the same as Photoshop except for a few features used in offset printing.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
If those that can do it would come together and just show others how, nobody would have to 'teach'. Others that have held workshops would be able to help with location and planning. Together we can do this.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I have dabbled a little over the years and have learned that photography is an art form all it's own. I by no means consider my knowlege and abilities to be at the good level, but I will share what I have learned. A few things I have learned are.

Good lighting. A soft warm light is a good thing.

The flash is not always your friend. The light is very harsh and it needs to be diffused to soften it.

Take lots and lots of photos. In the digital age they cost practically nothing and if you take a hundred, chances are that one of them is going to be good.

Do Not pose children. Let them do their thing, have your camera and be ready. You never know what they will do and you can get a shot like this.

Kickin it 087.jpg

Or this

Kickin it 062e.jpg

Wouldn't you like to know what is going on here.

There is a series of books written by Scott Kelby on digital photography that I have found to be helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photo...F8&qid=1378943331&sr=1-5&keywords=scott+kelby

There is also some of the Photography for Dummies series that is geared to specific brands and models of digital cameras.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Bryan!
Great advice - I especially like the "Reading list" I was going to suggest that when we figure out who, when and where...
Thank you for your input and I admit I already had "Word clouds" above the kids heads in the second picture!!!:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS