How do I avoid downloading off topic threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
The title says it all. I really don't want to have to scroll through the off topic threads to look at subjects that deal only with woodworking subjects. Is there a way I can block the off topic stuff when viewing new threads?
Thanks, Mtnman

Last edited by a moderator:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Not trying to be a smart alec Tally, but can't you just scan what the forum is on the right side of the page? I don't always want to see the OT stuff either, sometimes I don't really care what's going on in some of the other forums either. I just scan town the right side before seeing what the title is.

Hopefully someone can tell you of a setting that will help you out!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
That would be a VERY COOL feature ... to be able to choose which forums show on the homepage. I too could do without the off-topic stuff most of the time. Sounds like a feature request!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060214 Firefox/3.0.11 GTB5

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
As you look at the site, is there a brown rectangular box with "Site Navigator" along the left side of the screen? If so, mouse over it and then mouse over the word "Forums" (don't click on it). A new menu of options will grow out of it and one of them is "Today's Posts". Left click on that and you have every thread with a posting in the last 24hrs including ones you've read or responded to. Ignore the ones you're not interested in.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm unaware of any settings or addons we have installed that will let you "subscribe" to specific forums.

I'll start a discussion among the Staff and Board to review this.

My personal concern is you'd lose some of the character of the site. Many Off Topic posts reflect things that fellow users share about themselves or the world in general and heck, a good laugh now and then.

Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060214 Firefox/3.0.11

nelsone

New User
Ed
Doesn't sound like he's suggesting getting id of the OT, just filtering it out on his screen.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Hey, Talley! This is "off topic" but I haven't seen you around lately! Hope you're well and enjoying the summer. :icon_thum Got any wine in the making?

Have a great 4th!

:wsmile:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/2.0.172.33 Safari/530.5

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
User defined forum filtering was my understanding too.

Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060214 Firefox/3.0.11

timf67

New User
Tim
Can't you just go to the blue forums tab and click on the forums you are interested in?
Posted from an iPod

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
I don't understand what all the fuss is over this. To me it's like cable TV, if you don't want to see it then don't click on it. I bypass many questions that I'm really not interested in reading. I haven't had anybody force me to read something I didn't want to on this site. Should we burn all Norm Abrams books, just because a few don't like him. This is one of the reasons we celebrate this holiday, because we are free to make this kind of decision.
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB5; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; yie8)

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I also think there is a simple answer to this....I second the comment "if you don't want to read it, don't click on it". Problem solved.
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; GTB6; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
User defined forum filtering was my understanding too.

Jim

I did not want to start a hot discussion on this "off Topic" feature. I just wondered if there was a way to display the information I am truly interested in reading.
Froglips expressed it very well in saying "User defined forum filtering was my understanding too".
I don't want to change the way anyone else uses this website, I just want to find out if there is a way I can change how I use it to suite my preferences. I know all about the Off Topic labels and that I don't have to read them if I don't want to. It's just that there are so many of them it makes it hard to sort through all the posts to find things of woodworking interest.
Now don't get mad at me for saying that those that feel the need to express their opinions on speedies and other off topic subjects, should be aware that there are websites like Twitter where they can expound their thoughts on a mirage of subjects.
Nuff said - Mtnman
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Actually, I can see where he is coming from. Forgive me, but I feel the same way about woodturning. It just doesn't do anything for me.

I believe it is being checked on, just don't know if it can be done.
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Actually, I can see where he is coming from. Forgive me, but I feel the same way about (your least favorite forum here). It just doesn't do anything for me.

I believe it is being checked on, just don't know if it can be done.
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Yep, I concur :icon_thum
However, I would guess this level of user customization would be extremely difficult to develop or support.

But there's nothing wrong with asking :mrgreen:

Roger Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060214 Firefox/3.0.11

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
There was quite a bit of discussion among the staff and Board members.

The decision is that at this time, User Level Forum Filtering is beyond what we can support at this time.

The idea is recorded in the Staff forums, so down the road it might come back.

Thanks for all the discussion!

Jim

I did not want to start a hot discussion on this "off Topic" feature. I just wondered if there was a way to display the information I am truly interested in reading.
Froglips expressed it very well in saying "User defined forum filtering was my understanding too".
I don't want to change the way anyone else uses this website, I just want to find out if there is a way I can change how I use it to suite my preferences. I know all about the Off Topic labels and that I don't have to read them if I don't want to. It's just that there are so many of them it makes it hard to sort through all the posts to find things of woodworking interest.
Now don't get mad at me for saying that those that feel the need to express their opinions on speedies and other off topic subjects, should be aware that there are websites like Twitter where they can expound their thoughts on a mirage of subjects.
Nuff said - Mtnman
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS