Hand saw sharpening advice needed……

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a couple of old handsaws I got super cheap to practice sharpening. They are actually nice saws - one is a Disston and the one I am working on is a 7 point Atkins… both of the plates are pretty bad so I don’t know if I will get a user out of them, but if I learn how to sharpen them I will have gotten what I wanted. Today I attempted the atkins using a 6” slim. It was filed crosscut so I figured I’d keep it the same. I ran a file down the teeth to even them up - took quite a few strokes to get a flat on all the teeth. I also got the Veritas guide thingy that attaches to the end of the file to keep me at the correct angle. Went down one side just fine but as you can see in the pics (I hope) things got a bit out of whack when I started on the opposite teeth. It seems like side two is filing deeper and creating a “twin peaks” pattern. Not sure what I am doing wrong…. Am filing till the flat is gone but something must be off- any advice is appreciated!
IMG_0037.jpeg
IMG_0036.jpeg

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes you have common issue. When I teach folks I start with jointing the teeth as you described but I have them simply shape the teeth straight across without fleam. Once you have the teeth even you lightly joint the teeth and then you add fleam. The objective of jointing is to give you a visual guide as to when to stop filing. It’s easier to show you in person than to write about it. With that said if you want to reach out to me and ask questions that will be fine.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS