Friday rantings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Lottathought posted a great picture of a laptop desk with a subject line of "No Laughing". I wonder how often woodworkers remember that most of the population can't even glue two pieces of paper together without a minor disaster. Laughing? Are you kidding me?

The other night LOML complained the dogs kept breaking their dishes. I suggested some plastic bowls, which are cheap but tend slide around the floor. So, I took some scrap plywood, and fabricated simple holders. No fancy joinery, just glue (and brads to hold it until the glue dries of course). Quick sanding to avoid puppy splinters, and salad bowl finish to make it easier to clean. Piece of rug anti-slip on the bottom and done! No trips needed for supplies, everything on hand.

The cool thing was that it was effortless. Joint the edges, cut the plywood, glue, nail, sand, finish - everything was in the right place in the shop and it ran on autopilot. Having dust collection at each machine makes a huge difference!

1/4" hardwood plywood $0
5/8" brad nails $0
Titebond II $0
Salad bowl finish $0
Piece of Rug anti-slip: $0
Finishing a project in an hour: Priceless

Not Fine Woodworking, but Fun Woodworking for sure!

Bas.

Attachments

• bowl_holders.jpg
    bowl_holders.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 192

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Looks fine to me Bas.

I've wanted to do something like that but I have one that has to carry his food bowl around, and another thats pretty sloppy when lapping water from her bowl. Not to mention the fact that wood doesn't stand up very well to the teeth of a pair of Labrador retrievers.:lol:

An hour from start to finish is priceless, I spend more time than that looking at what I want to work with, but I'm also in that group that cant glue paper without a minor disaster.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Don't get me started on destructive dogs. One of mine has eaten three complete sofas. It's a miracle I haven't strangled him over the years. When I feed them, the bowls are picked up right away and the holders put somewhere safe - or I'll have to spend _another_ hour :lol: because Captain Destructo was bored.

Of course, Ipe with a spar finish might work :) Or just coat it with some polyurethane glue, that's a match for any dog. :eusa_danc

Bas.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Those look good! You're right about the number of people that can't glue two pieces of wood together. It always amazes me. Here's a couple dish holders I made a while back.

Sorry for the bad pic.:cry:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I once had an older Lab mix that started having problem swallowing. The vet said to go out and get a raise food bowl. Go to Pet Smart one time and see what they cost. I did the scrap wood thing.

Bas you should post puctures at your vets office. Who knows you may have a new career. :):):)

cskipper

Cathy
Bas, your bowls do look great! We needed raised bowls for our dogs too. Our female boxer has always pushed the food around the bowl, and the bowls around the room. She would tip over anything we tried. Finally found one that we could fill with food, sand or water that has curved edges and sits flat on the floor. Fully loaded she can't push it or flip it - worth the money in our case :lol: As for water - that's outside. Again, your bowls look great!

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Good work, Bas.

I cobbed a "dish lift" for my former dog, just screwing four 6" legs from scrap to a scrap of 3/4" plywood, and taking a carefully measures wild guess at the hole size. He was having trouble bending to get food & water, so I brough both to his level. One of those moments when need & inspiration combine to make use of those scraps.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
It's amazing what a difference raising the bowl makes for older dogs. I have a couple of those big dual dog-bowl holders made from plastic, very very durable. They can be hosed down easily, and although they slide they don't tip. The little bowls are just for their canned food in the mornings - they need that so I can mix in all their pills......

No offense Ed, but your bowl holders are WAY too pretty! My dogs wouldn't know what to do, they'd be as uncomfortable as a Hillbilly in a 5-star restaurant :lol:.

Interesting idea, making dog bowl holders for a living. Here in upscale Cary, there might actually be some people that would pay big bucks for a mahogany-hand-carved-turned-legs-walnut-accent bowl holder. With Ming China porcelain bowl of course. Not sure I'd want to deal with that kind of customer though :eusa_thin:eusa_thin On the other hand, simple plywood boxes would make a good volunteer project.

Bas.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Interesting idea, making dog bowl holders for a living. Here in upscale Cary, there might actually be some people that would pay big bucks for a mahogany-hand-carved-turned-legs-walnut-accent bowl holder. With Ming China porcelain bowl of course. Not sure I'd want to deal with that kind of customer though :eusa_thin:eusa_thin On the other hand, simple plywood boxes would make a good volunteer project.

Bas.

I would not be the least bit surprised if you could find a market for such a an item, especially in Cary. The loml works with a Dr. who pays us to go over and let his Lab out and feed him. I wont say how much he paid us the last time but it would work out to more per hour than we make an hour combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS