Former Yankee Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

former yankee

New User
Chris
Ok guy's and gal's I posted the pix in the photo gallery. I know it took a while and if not for Dave O's help it would have been longer. This was not only my first piece of furnature but the first of anything that I built from a plan. The canopy was made by my grandfather. Took 2 yeary from design to completion. The bed took 3 months to build. :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That looks great. How did you taper and bevel the posts? There was a recent thread about how to do that.
Dave:)

former yankee

New User
Chris
Lucky I didn't see how to taper the post. I did the taper on the band saw and the bevel with a jig saw. I cleaned the cuts with a block plane and a spoke shave. The bones are 2 by 7 southern yellow pine wrapped with the "mop boards" ,we call them base boards. They are 3/4 by 10 hand planed in 1851 as is all the wood in the bed. The head board is a glue up and the hardest part was mating the straight part to the taper of the post. My wife wanted the bed higher than a modern bed and not shown is a 2 step stool I had to make for her to get into the bed. It was a fun piece to build and every one that sees it has to rub the post. The finish is one third each mineral spirits, boiled linseed oil and wipe on satin poly. The more coats you use the "deeper" the finish. The bed it 6 costs, the first two in one day then 1 coat per day till it looks and feels right.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice work Chris.:icon_thum Your bed turned out fantastic. I like the finish and the character in the wood.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS