First public showing - Almost

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Which reminds me. Are the nightstands completely finished? :icon_scra

How could you say that???:rolf:

You obviously haven't seen the Feb calendar page????

Here's the proof.

0052.JPG

0022.JPG

DavidF

New User
David
While this is my first exposure to your work -- I'm still relatively wet-eared in these parts -- it is very impressive. One thing I wish I was better at is conceptualizing using only my mind; it looks like we all could learn a thing or two from you. Myself, I draw up a rough sketch and work from there, doing lots of improvising. I'm guessing you're using some sort of architect's program? Never occured to me woodworkers would use them.

Would you mind parting with any secrets you've accumulated in the creative process? That's one skill, for me, thats difficult to develop. I can figure out tough joints pretty easily, but learning design is another beast entirely.

Thanks!
Morgan

Wow, that's a tricky one Morgan!

First I would say that recognising proportion is probably built in to all of us that create, so you "know" when something looks right, but if you stop after the first sketch then you'll never know if you can get it better.

The second, for me anyway, is constant observation, the little things that catch your eye as a nice feature or shape need to be squirrelled away for a future use. It needn't be on a piece of furniture; for example, the corner inlay motif on my coffee table was inspired by a pattern I saw while sitting up in bed in a time share in Sedona and I saw the pattern on the bedroom window.

The third is, for me, the drive not to copy slavishly, be inspired yes, but not copy. Pick a feature in somebody else's work and incorporate it. There is pretty much nothing new out there in most pieces, so don't be ashamed to steal an idea, but again, just use it as inspiration.

The forth is an ideal I have had for a long time, even as an electronics engineer, If I can buy exactly what I want then I buy it, if not, then make it. This way I am more driven to make it special because I am not making it to save money and therefore I go the extra mile to make it close to perfect.

The fifth is to try and "Wow" my peers:gar-La; If I see another woodworker down on their knees trying to figure out how I have done something then I am happy! If I hear the words "I think I could make one of those, looks easy enough" then I have failed..... I want people to look at my work and be blown away, not walk past it without comment - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

The last (maybe) is to design to your skill level, there is nothing worse in my mind than to see a complex design poorly executed, better to make a simple Shaker style table or chair with perfect detail, crisp edges and tight joints. People will still be "wowed" by the mastery of the skill rather than look at it and spot the defects. So referring back to the fifth "Rule" above, the "wow" cannot be just design or execution, it has to be both.

There are other aspects to be considered like "negative space" and "visual levels" to use "designer" terms, but these are things that come with practise.

As for the CAD, believe me, I couldn't do what I do without it! I can't draw for the life of me and being able to create photo realistic drawings that convey the finished piece is invaluable. The table was finalized on the 7th iteration, without the CAD I may have stopped at the first or second and then need to modify it as I go along, possibly coming across problems that I had not been able to think through. Drawing to such detail in 3D mostly solves the construction issues as I go along. I can then confidently build from the CAD model without "too many" surprises:eusa_pray

It's a difficult one to describe, but those are my basic rules, the rest is up to you.

I could add another "rule" and that is to post an idea on here and let the Guys and Gals have at it:rotflm: there is always some good ideas that I may not have thought of!!

Hope that helps.

maomoonshiner

New User
morgan
David -- thank you VERY much. Seriously, folks like you, typing up informative posts such as yours are what make this forum so much more than an internet gathering place for folks sharing a hobby. The focused incite, shared by skilled craftsmen are top notch. I'm hanging onto every word. Gushing over...haha. Thanks again.

Morgan

PS: best of luck with the table!

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
David,

I'm impressed by the originality of the design which is complimented by the simplicity of form. Designing something unique, and then figuring out how to actually make it is often times a challenge, both frustrating and rewarding. It's kind of "function follows form," a reverse of the Bauhaus approach. There have been occasions over the years where I have designed a piece, only to discover that I cannot actually make it as originally conceived, almost like building something from an M.C. Escher drawing.

I am interested in the software that you use for design. I am especially curious about the software that you use for the photorealistic rendering. I've done a little of that, and used trial versions of several packages with varying degrees of success. Some are complicated to the extent that I am unwilling to put in the time to learn to use them well.

Finally, is this a commission, for your personal collection, or are you marketing it? If the latter, where would you put such a piece for sale?

Sorry if these seem like a lot of nosy questions, but large projects that are so unique and time consuming to design and build really fascinate me. Ernie M.'s harpsichords are another example of projects that are on a scale that fall into this category.

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I will be looking forward to reports on the project's evolution and completion.

Matt

DavidF

New User
David
David -- thank you VERY much. Seriously, folks like you, typing up informative posts such as yours are what make this forum so much more than an internet gathering place for folks sharing a hobby. The focused incite, shared by skilled craftsmen are top notch. I'm hanging onto every word. Gushing over...haha. Thanks again.

Morgan

PS: best of luck with the table!

Thanks so much Morgan, you don't just have to hang on every word, you can hear them for yourself! Any time you need a hand just ask, I am close enough to come over to you and help out if you need it and you are more than welcome to visit my humble shop any time you want.

DavidF

New User
David
David,

I'm impressed by the originality of the design which is complimented by the simplicity of form. Designing something unique, and then figuring out how to actually make it is often times a challenge, both frustrating and rewarding. It's kind of "function follows form," a reverse of the Bauhaus approach. There have been occasions over the years where I have designed a piece, only to discover that I cannot actually make it as originally conceived, almost like building something from an M.C. Escher drawing.

I am interested in the software that you use for design. I am especially curious about the software that you use for the photorealistic rendering. I've done a little of that, and used trial versions of several packages with varying degrees of success. Some are complicated to the extent that I am unwilling to put in the time to learn to use them well.

Finally, is this a commission, for your personal collection, or are you marketing it? If the latter, where would you put such a piece for sale?

Sorry if these seem like a lot of nosy questions, but large projects that are so unique and time consuming to design and build really fascinate me. Ernie M.'s harpsichords are another example of projects that are on a scale that fall into this category.

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I will be looking forward to reports on the project's evolution and completion.

Matt

Thanks for the kind words Matt.

The s/w I use is Solidworks and the rendering is done with the photoworks add-in. A high end program with a steep learning curve. If anybody wants a rendering done of their furniture piece sketch then just let me know, I am happy to do it.

It is a piece for Carol and I, but hopefully others might see it and ask for a commission - we can only hope!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS