Election Post to the membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Should I put together a post for the general membership to:

1. Inform them of the changes to the voting structure, and

2. Get them thinking about running for the BoD?

If you all think so I will put a draft together for the BoD to review.

Doug

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Probably a good idea, but I won't be able to review it until Thursday evening. Leaving the laptop at home. If everyone else reads and agrees I will go with the majority. Don't know how the cell signal will be where I am going.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I am not in a rush to get this on the board. I just want to get the ball rolling. If there is agreement we can post something next week.

M

McRabbet

I think it is a good idea, but I would think we need to develop and discuss a schedule/descriptions for each part of the process -- 1) the changes to bylaws; 2) requirements for candidates (Corporate membership); 3) Current BoD (I'm sure many do not know); 4) Call for nominations; 5) Candidate biographies (the "campaign"); 6) Start of elections; 7) Announcement of winners (picnic); 8) New structure of BoD (date for first Board Meeting and selection of terms and offices).

Perhaps a bit of overkill, but I think we need to develop a set of steps and follow it.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Here is a rough stab at a post:

As was the case last year, we will be having the NCWW picnic in May. The details of the picnic will be announced shortly by Scott Miller the Events Director. The May picnic is also the annual meeting of NCWW, and as such the elections for the Board of Directors concludes at the picnic with the announcement of the winners.

For the benefit of the new members, of whom there are quite a few and any old members that have forgotten, there are seven positions on the Board of Directors. Those positions are, and the people that presently fill them are:

• President: Douglas Robinson
  • Vice President: RoB Payne (McRabbet)
  • Treasurer: Travis Porter
  • Webmaster: Tracy Pardue (TracyP)
  • Events Director: Scott Miller (ScottM)
  • Secretary: Scott Smith (SCSmith) and
  • Donations Coordinator: Stuart Nelson (Tar Heel).

All corporate members have the right to vote. Those votes are for individuals to hold a seat on the Board of Directors. Once the seven people are elected they determine among themselves who will hold which position.

In the past year the Board of Directors has made some changes to the by-laws. Some of the changes have been for the purpose of obtaining our 501c(3) non-profit status. The by-law changes include changes to the voting/election structure.

The first change relates to how many votes each corporate member has. This is not really a change this year, but will be next year, which I will explain below. Each corporate member has votes equal to the number of seats on the Board of Directors that are up open that year. Since last year all of the Board members were elected to one (1) year terms, all the positions are open this year and all corporate members have seven (7) votes.

The Board has come to realize the value of continuity and the need to facilitate smooth transitions. Therefore, please be advised that of the seven (7) positions corporate members will be voting on, three (3) positions will be for 2 year terms and four (4) will be for one (1) year terms. Thus next year there will be four (4) open positions to be filled, and the year after there will be three (3) positions, as all terms will be two (2) year terms, and they shall continue to be staggered in the foregoing manner.

The second change relates to how votes may be allocated.

As stated previously each corporate member has votes equal to the number of open seats on the Board of Directors.

Each corporate member may use only one vote per candidate. Thus if there are 10 candidates for the seven positions you may vote for seven individuals. You may not apply more than one vote to a candidate. Any ballot received that has more than one vote for any candidate will NOT be counted.

You do NOT have to vote for seven candidates. If you only use 6 of your seven votes, your ballot will be counted. If you have more votes than there are open seats (say 8 votes for this year’s election) than your ballot will not be counted. Next year you will have 4 votes to allocate among whatever number of candidates that run. The candidates that receive the seven most votes will be seated on the new Board of Directors.

The qualification needed to run for the Board of Directors is that you be a corporate member. If you are considering running and have questions please feel free to contact any of the Board of Directors. An engaged membership is critical to our continued survival and growth. Please consider running!

We will be asking for nominations in the coming weeks. You should “nominate” yourself if you would like to run, and submit your biography in the thread asking for nominations.

M

McRabbet

Here is a rough stab at a post:

As was the case last year, we will be having the North Carolina Woodworker picnic in May. The details of the picnic will be announced shortly by Scott Miller, the Events Director. The May picnic is also the annual meeting of North Carolina Woodworker Inc., and as such the elections for the Board of Directors concludes at the picnic with the announcement of the winners.

For the benefit of the new members, of whom there are quite a few and any old members that have forgotten, there are seven positions on the Board of Directors. Those positions are, and the people that presently fill them are:

• President: Douglas Robinson
  • Executive Vice-President: Rob Payne (McRabbet)
  • Treasurer: Travis Porter
  • Vice-President for Internet Operations (Webmaster): Tracy Pardue (TracyP)
  • Events Director: Scott Miller (ScottM)
  • Secretary: Scott Smith (SCSmith42) and
  • [STRIKE]Donations Coordinator[/STRIKE]Development Director: Stuart Nelson (Tar Heel).
All corporate members have the right to vote (see Promotion Policy document for the definition of Corporate Member). Those votes are for individuals to hold a seat on the Board of Directors. Once the seven people are elected they determine among themselves who will hold which position.

In the past year the Board of Directors has [STRIKE]made some changes to[/STRIKE]amended the by-laws. Some of the changes have been for the purpose of obtaining our 501c(3) non-profit status. The by-law changes include changes to the voting/election structure.

The first change relates to how many votes each corporate member has. This is not really a change this year, but will be next year, which I will explain below. Each corporate member has votes equal to the number of seats on the Board of Directors that are up open that year. Since last year all of the Board members were elected to one (1) year terms, all the positions are open this year and all corporate members have seven (7) votes.

The Board has come to realize the value of continuity and the need to facilitate smooth transitions. Therefore, please be advised that of the seven (7) positions corporate members will be voting on this year, three (3) positions will be for 2 year terms and four (4) will be for one (1) year terms. Thus next year (2011) there will be four (4) open positions to be filled, and the year after (2012) there will be three (3) positions, as all terms will be two (2) year terms, and they shall continue to be staggered in the foregoing manner.

The second change relates to how votes may be allocated.

As stated previously each corporate member has votes equal to the number of open seats on the Board of Directors.

Each corporate member may use only one vote per candidate. Thus if there are 10 candidates for the seven positions you may vote for seven individuals. You may not apply more than one vote to a candidate. Any ballot received that has more than one vote for any candidate will NOT be counted.

You do NOT have to vote for seven candidates. If you only use 6 of your seven votes, your ballot will be counted. If you have more votes than there are open seats (say 8 votes for this year’s election) than your entire ballot will not be counted. [STRIKE]Next year[/STRIKE]In 2011, Corporate Members [STRIKE]you [/STRIKE]will have 4 votes to allocate among whatever number of candidates that run. The candidates that receive the seven most votes will be seated on the new Board of Directors.

The qualification needed to run for the Board of Directors is that you be a corporate member. If you are considering running and have questions please feel free to contact any of the Board of Directors. An engaged membership is critical to our continued survival and growth. Please consider running!

We will be asking for nominations in the coming weeks. You should “nominate” yourself if you would like to run, and submit your biography in the thread asking for nominations.

Good start, Doug. I've made a few edits for clarification, shown in Red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS