Dresser Plans Critique

Status
Not open for further replies.

sediener

New User
Steve
This is going to be the baby's dresser/changing table so I need to get started soon.

Here are the plans so far. It will be made out of maple with walnut trim on the top, the drawers will be inset with halfblind dovetails, walnut fronts and maple sides.

Any structural or design critiques before I get started this weekend?

Rough dimensions are 60" wide x 33" tall x 19" depth.

dresser.png

I uploaded the sketchup file as dresser1.zip file if anyone wants to play with it.

thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• dresser1.zip
    39.9 KB · Views: 208

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would add a removable top that would provide some edges to keep the baby from rolling off and another area that could keep the important things (diapers, butt cream, wipes, etc.) within easy reach.
Also you might want to consider a pee shield if you're having a boy. I've heard they like to make their own fountains :lol::lol::lol:

Here's one that I made for our daughter...it's for sale, cheap :-D

Changing Table 003.jpg

Dave:)

sediener

New User
Steve
Yeah, I couldn't find any real wood in my computer so I had to go with the fake stuff.

I might build a tray to go on top which will be replaced by the nice top once it is only used as a dresser. I don't want to be stuck where DaveO is with a piece of furniture I spent a lot of time on and have no use for anymore.

We're expecting a girl but I saw these which look like a good idea http://www.creativekidstuff.com/peepeeteepee.html

- Steve

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Steve, I like your idea of a "disposable" tray for the top. That makes a lot of sense as a dresser is much work. Since you are making it 60" wide, you might consider a center partition in the case. Are you going to include dust panels between the drawers? "Chests Of Drawers" by Bill Hylton covers pretty much any style with detailed measured drawings - a must read, if you are building a chest.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Very nice design work.

Are the sides going to be solid maple flat panels? Are the front rail-to-leg connections M&T joints? Just curious.

You didn't show any edge guides for the drawers along the outsides to keep the drawer from hitting the rear leg(s)...maybe you're using center guides?

I would probably use a single center divider on the front frame and dado the mating surfaces - divider front and and rail backs. It makes the divider-to-rail joints easier for me. If you made the divider a little narrower than the rails you'd have a ledge to support the runner that goes to the rear rail. Same thing on the dividers for the top drawers.

That's gonna be a real beauty once done...man, you go a lotta work to do to bring it in on time. :lol: :lol:

And please feel free to show us your WIP pics! :)

Chuck

sediener

New User
Steve
Very nice design work.

Are the sides going to be solid maple flat panels? Are the front rail-to-leg connections M&T joints? Just curious.

The sides will be solid maple but I am toying with some walnut in there as an accent.

I plan to make the sides first and basically make 5 frames which will be fit into 1.75 x .75" notches on all four legs.

You didn't show any edge guides for the drawers along the outsides to keep the drawer from hitting the rear leg(s)...maybe you're using center guides?
Good catch. There will be edge guides between the legs sitting on top of the frame, I just got lazy with Sketchup.

I would probably use a single center divider on the front frame and dado the mating surfaces - divider front and and rail backs. It makes the divider-to-rail joints easier for me. If you made the divider a little narrower than the rails you'd have a ledge to support the runner that goes to the rear rail. Same thing on the dividers for the top drawers.
Are you talking about a center divider that spans the three rows of drawers?

That could give it a better vertical flow.

I was planning on fitting the drawers using only what is there now as runners lubed up with some wax. Is that a bad idea?

That's gonna be a real beauty once done...man, you go a lotta work to do to bring it in on time. :lol: :lol:

And please feel free to show us your WIP pics! :)

Chuck
Well thanks to DaveO I'll have a changing table to satisfy the baby until I can get it done. If I get a good start over the holliday weekend I think I can get it done.

I will post WIP pics.

- Steve

sediener

New User
Steve
I will probably add dust panels in there now that you mention it. And I just ordered that book thanks to Rockler's 50% off deal.

A center partition may work better and give it more structural stability than the way I had it originally. I will have to think about that.

thanks,

- Steve

Steve, I like your idea of a "disposable" tray for the top. That makes a lot of sense as a dresser is much work. Since you are making it 60" wide, you might consider a center partition in the case. Are you going to include dust panels between the drawers? "Chests Of Drawers" by Bill Hylton covers pretty much any style with detailed measured drawings - a must read, if you are building a chest.

T

toolferone

Also you might want to consider a pee shield if you're having a boy. I've heard they like to make their own fountains :lol::lol::lol:

When I moved or changing table to the new nursery I was surprised at how much #1 & #2 stains there where on the back wall and this was with a girl 8-O. I need to put some kind of sheild on the wall behind it now.

sediener

New User
Steve
Do you think it would freak out the kid if I wore my respirator, a turning face shield and gloves whenever I needed to change her?

When I moved or changing table to the new
nursery I was surprised at how much #1 & #2 stains there where on the back wall and this was with a girl 8-O. I need to put some kind of sheild on the wall behind it now.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Do you think it would freak out the kid if I wore my respirator, a turning face shield and gloves whenever I needed to change her?

<Darth Vadar voice on> Little girl, I am your Father <Darth Vadar voice off>

Yea, that would go over well. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
When I moved or changing table to the new nursery I was surprised at how much #1 & #2 stains there where on the back wall and this was with a girl 8-O. I need to put some kind of sheild on the wall behind it now.

Tom, you're supposed to wipe them not spin dry them :lol::lol::lol:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Are you talking about a center divider that spans the three rows of drawers?

That could give it a better vertical flow.

I was planning on fitting the drawers using only what is there now as runners lubed up with some wax. Is that a bad idea?

- Steve

Yes, the center divider would span 3 rows of drawers and fits to the rear of the front rails. There would be a dado on the back side of each front rail and a center dado and upper and lower rabbet on the divider front side. You can sneak up on the divider dado width and get a tight fit on the rails. This has no structural advantage over your design but may simplify joint construction between the divider and the pieces that run to the back rail (save time). Just throwing out ideas! :)

Wax on the runners works just fine.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS