Delta 14" band saw question

Status
Not open for further replies.

worm1595

New User
worm
I have a lead on a super clean Delta 14" band saw (model 28-203). This is one of the last USA made saws from the 1990's. It is 3/4 hp with a solid enclosed base. The saw is in pristine condition and the guy is asking $330 cash. Is this a good saw and is this a fair price to pay ? :dontknow:

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
The 28-203 is one of delta's standards - It's a good saw, that should be able to handle most anything a hobbiest, or light professional can throw at it. You can get a riser block for it, if you want to increase its resaw capacity, and carter makes all sorts of goodies for it, if you want to soup it up. With a little tuning, you should be able to set it up to do pretty thin resawing as well.

Price wise - I see them from time to time in the mid 300 range - So I think that's a fair price.

Hope this helps

worm1595

New User
worm
Yes I knew it was a good saw. I am trying to decide which is the better buy: The Delta I mentioned above for $330 or a like new Ridged 14" for $200. I can get either one at the end of the week and am just trying to get the best buy on a band saw.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Between those 2, get the Delta, no question. I like Ridgid tools but I've read too many complaints about vibration with the bandsaw on the Ridgid forum.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I have no experience withe the Rigid, but have a couple of the 14" Deltas. It sounds like the $330 price is fair (assuming like new) - never hurts to ask for a discount.

I consider the 14" Delta to be a "forever" saw - in that there is always a place for this saw in a shop and you will probably always be able to get replacement parts.

Thus, given the Delta will very likely outlive you, how much is $130 amoritized over the rest of your life ?

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS