DC blower question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I have a question about a dust collection blower, again:mrgreen:, with the blower in question being a Grizzly 2hp 1550 cfm model, using 6" inlet and outlet pipes.

I am pondering two situations and would like input on what is best to do.

1) placing the blower up above, where I have draw dust up, vertically, for about 6-8 ft. before discharging outside, or....

2) placing the blower lower, where I would have to push it up 6-8 ft. to a 90 degree turn, before it would exit the building.

Any ideas and reasons about which one I should, or should not, choose ?

Once again, thank you in advance.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
My gut feeling on this one is above, and do as little pushing as possible. It seems to me that pushing anything will restrict the pulling effect (no air out, no air in) and would reduce the effect significantly. I know there are others here that are more qualified to speak on this than I am, but what little experimenting with this kind of thing I've done, I believe this to be right.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'd go with (1). It's out of the way, and there is no 90 degree turn. The pushing/ pulling part isn't as important. Gravity has some impact on the velocity of the dust, but resistance (such as a 90 degree turn) is far more detrimental.

Holler by the time you're getting ready to hang it, and you need some help holding the blower up.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I'd go with (1). It's out of the way, and there is no 90 degree turn. The pushing/ pulling part isn't as important. Gravity has some impact on the velocity of the dust, but resistance (such as a 90 degree turn) is far more detrimental.

Holler by the time you're getting ready to hang it, and you need some help holding the blower up.

I'm thinking #1 is the way to go also, thanks for the offer Bas.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
As a rule of thumb, fans tend to "push" more efficiently than they can "pull". Thus, all things being equal, minimizing the distance that the dust is traveling in a vacume is generally more desireable than limiting the distance that dust is "pushed".

However, the extra elbow on the discharge side will add more resistance to the outflow, so it probably tilts the scales in favor of number 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS