DANGER - Minwax Twins! - Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I heard back from Minwax today. They say they will look into the confusion caused by the color-coding of the cans (don't hold your breath)! However, they say that the two products are compatible as long as you wait 24 hours to recoat. To make sure their e-mail was correct, I called the company and received the same information. The oil-modified water based product did dry normally over the oil based poly I had previously sprayed. I'm going to put another coat of regular oil-based poly over it and see what happens.

Hi all,

For years I've been using Minwax Satin Polyurethane rattle cans to spray small parts that are not worth the effort of brushing. These cans are color-coded to make it easier to distinguish the sheen, Satin (bronze can), Semi-gloss (copper can) and Hi-Gloss (gray can). Today I picked up a can of Satin from the Borg and sprayed a couple of small assemblies with it. Something wasn't right! I stopped spraying and took a close look at the can. Turns out it was an Oil Modified Water Based finish. The can, however, was identical to the satin oil-based that I always buy.

MINWAX.jpg

Out of habit, I didn't bother to read the can's label - I just grabbed a can according to its color.
As you can see, the two cans are identical (if you don't read the labels). It seems absurd that they would differentiate sheen by changing the color of the can but allow two completely different products to share the same can. At $11.00 a can, I would think they could afford to color-code these cans differently. Obviously, the stock workers at the Borg couldn't tell the difference either - the cans were mixed up with regular oil-based cans of the same color. As these cans are rarely placed on the shelves with the label facing front, a trusting customer (like me) would see this:

MINWAX2.jpg

Lesson learned: Read before you buy!!!

Ernie

Last edited:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Re: DANGER - Minwax Twins!

Ernie,

Good advice. Thanks for posting.

(Sorry you got caught in the can color mix up)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Sorry about the mixup Ernie. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: I agree that that wasn't a very good idea for Minwax to not differentiate those cans. Maybe a strongly worded letter would be a good idea. :eusa_thin

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member

Sorry about the mixup Ernie. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: I agree that that wasn't a very good idea for Minwax to not differentiate those cans. Maybe a strongly worded letter would be a good idea. :eusa_thin

Letter has been sent. That's the first thing I did after I stopped x!#?Kc*! :kamahlitu

Ernie

M

McRabbet

That Blue Banner didn't catch your eye? I've used the traditional Fast Drying type for small touch-ups and it is real handy, but I can see how it would sour a nice oil based finish if your sprayed the water based stuff over it.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Ernie,

Thanks for the heads up and sorry to hear this happened to you. On a side note, this thread turned out to be totally different from my expectations (er... hopes?) after reading the thread title. I was thinking Minwax finally stepped up it's ad campaign....:rotflm:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member

That Blue Banner didn't catch your eye? I've used the traditional Fast Drying type for small touch-ups and it is real handy, but I can see how it would sour a nice oil based finish if your sprayed the water based stuff over it.

Actually, the cans were about 8 rows deep. The can in the front was the regular oil-based poly - but I never buy the first can on the shelf (because I'm nuts!) so I reached in and took the second can whose label was not facing front. As the can was the same color, I assumed it was the same as the can I foolishly chose not to take.

I'm going to sand the water based stuff off as best I can and then seal what's left with a coat of shellac. Then I'll continue with the oil-based poly.

Ernie

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
You're not the only one to have that happen, so don't feel bad - I've had a few students contact me after taking my finishing classes, to express problems with shop made wipe on varnishes.

They also bought the waerbased, oil modified poly. It looks identical other than the small blue band around the can -

Why would minwax make the label so similar??? But what do I know about woodworking & finishing???

Anyway, on a positive note, their Waterbased/oil modified poly does work well on its own

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
You're not the only one to have that happen, so don't feel bad - I've had a few students contact me after taking my finishing classes, to express problems with shop made wipe on varnishes.

They also bought the waerbased, oil modified poly. It looks identical other than the small blue band around the can -

Why would minwax make the label so similar??? But what do I know about woodworking & finishing???

Anyway, on a positive note, their Waterbased/oil modified poly does work well on its own

Gregory - I was assured by the folks at Minwax that the two products were compatible and could be sprayed onto one another with a 24 hour wait between coats. So I tried it and they're right - so far. I still think I'll stick with one or the other and not tempt the fates by mixing them. I did send Minwax a photo of the two cans viewed from the rear to show just how identical they are. Their response was to send me a free can of my choice. All in all, Minwax was very responsive.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS