Craftsmen and outlawed toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
I agree that this is upsetting however changes in the regulations are already in the works to inject a healthy dose of common sense which will take the "cottage industry" crafters and woodworkers out from under the gun. :wsmile:

Last edited:

Bryan S

Bryan
I did hear Clark Howard talking about this last week. From what he said this is mainly geared toward the big players where these toys are imported from countries that do not ban the use of lead. The laws were made with such a broad sweep that it included toys in the consignment and 2nd hand shops.

I wish I could find a link to his show notes from that day but I can not.

M

McRabbet

As I said in an earlier thread, there has been a strong movement to exempt certain inherently lead-free materials from the provisions of the new Law. On January 15, 2009, the Consumer Products Safety Commission published a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in the Federal Register that listed a number of natural materials that fall into the "inherently lead-free category and would be relieved from the testing provisions of the Act". Included in the listing are the following that must be used "untreated and unadulterated with respect to the addition of materials or chemicals, including pigments, dyes, coatings, finishes or any other substance, and that do not undergo any processing that could result in the addition of lead into the product or materials": 1. Presious gemstones: Diamond, ruby, sapphire, emerald; 2. Certain semiprecious gemstones (list follows); 3. Natural or cultured pearls; 4. Wood; 5. Natural fibers such as cotton, silk, wool, hemp, flax, linen; 6. Other natural materials including coral, amber, feathers, fur, untreated leather.

Interested parties are invited to comment -- details are found in the Notice and on the CPSC website page devoted to information about this new Act. I recommend that if you are interested in up-to-date information, go to this website rather than relying on blogs put up by various groups on the web who may have a specific interest, or on magazine articles that may be a month or more behind due to publishing delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS