Bloodwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Has anyone ever turned bloodwood? if so what are the pros - cons - what kind of finish works best on it?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I've only used it in cutting boards. Don't think I have any pics of them, and it was a few years ago. The thing that stands out the most, is how my shop apron looked like I had just gutted myself with the fine shavings coming off my table saw. IIRC, it responded well to the mineral oil and beeswax on the cutting board.

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
I have turned some pens from it and it turned well, not too hard or brittle, and finished them at the time with friction polish. They turned out well. I use CA glue on my pens now and feel it is far superior for the purpose--just a little more time consuming. As I recall, it had a faint aroma similar to nutmeg. I am planning to make some laminated pepper mill blanks incorporating bloodwood with other hardwoods. Be show to post pictures of your finished piece!!!:saw:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have turned some pens from it and it turned well, not too hard or brittle, and finished them at the time with friction polish. They turned out well. I use CA glue on my pens now and feel it is far superior for the purpose--just a little more time consuming. As I recall, it had a faint aroma similar to nutmeg. I am planning to make some laminated pepper mill blanks incorporating bloodwood with other hardwoods. Be show to post pictures of your finished piece!!!:saw:

Bruce not sure what I am going to do with it yet - I got a piece about 12/4x10/4 about 14-15" long - Not good on the bowl thing - fair with the pens - might look into some Intarsia patterns with some blood wood in it :dontknow: I am just fishing for the info on it right now

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Bruce not sure what I am going to do with it yet - I got a piece about 12/4x10/4 about 14-15" long - Not good on the bowl thing - fair with the pens - might look into some Intarsia patterns with some blood wood in it :dontknow: I am just fishing for the info on it right now

Sounds like segment wood to me :gar-La;

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I havn't turned anything with it ,but have used it for years in my jewelry boxes,comes out to a beautifull finish,but I know for certain that it will wipe out the paper on a drum sander with one or two passes and it WILL send a splinter thru your finger like a hypordermic needle,it is hard and brittle and like allready said,it puts out some fine dust that will do a number on your lungs and sinuses.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I've made pens with bloodwood and they came out well. Like any prominent wood, sanding can 'stain' adjacent light woods (what a surprise lol). Only pro I can think of is the color. No cons - just another wood with its own parameters of hardness etc. I finished with ca and they did well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS