Anyone have a Mini Max Band Saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan Campbell

New User
Allan
I have the MM16 (2005 version - The newest has a slightly larger motor and resaw capability) and it is great.

No vibration and more power than I can use.

Some have reported problems with the switch but mine has worked perfectly.

It takes a while to set it up correctly because there are more adjustments than on a Delta 14" or similar, but that is a one time thing.

The table is at the height of a tablesaw, not higher as with the Delta 14" I had before.

Sales people were very helpful and not pushy. They have followed up to see if I am happy for several years.

Fit and finish are very high quality.

I can reccomend it without qualification; it is in a different league than the Delta 14" I moved up from and that was a good saw.

If you want to see it in the flesh, let me know and you can try mine. It is a lot of money for something you haven't been able to look at. I am just off exit 312 of I-40.

Nativespec

New User
David
Allan, thanks. I went ahead and ordered one-watched the 30 min video a couple of times yesterday-need to rewire the shop now.

Thanks,

David

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have the MM24 and I believe cpowell and mshel have the MM16. It is a MEAN machine. Fit and finish are good, but I wouldn't say great. The table size is almost as large as my tablesaw, but I did find the height almost too low. I did add zambus casters (don't waste your money on the mobility kit) and it is as good as I could ask.

I have had a little trouble with the switch sticking, but nothing major. The miter gauge you can order with it isn't worth it either IMO. Dust collection on it is so so at best. I will say you will not regret it once you get to using it. I rough cut all of my lumber with it now and resawing is ultra smooth. If you can swallow the cost a carbide tipped blade is the perfect addition.

Congrats and good luck!

Nativespec

New User
David
Thanks for the input. If you order by today, the mm16 comes with the mobility kit, miter gauge and 3 blades for only! $2,600 delivered - I hope my wife is gone the day it arrives.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks for the input. If you order by today, the mm16 comes with the mobility kit, miter gauge and 3 blades for only! $2,600 delivered - I hope my wife is gone the day it arrives.

:rolf: You may need her help to unload.

CIA (congrats in advance),
Roger

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
Congrats on getting the MM16. I really love mine and I am sure CPowell does his as well. Did you get the overstock show price? I know when I got mine last year they were offering 200 off the regular price but had to pay for shipping. If I am not mistaking, I think mine was a little over 2400 shipped. Anyway, hope you enjoy it and make some neat stuff. Believe me, it will take all you push at it and not even grunt. :rolf:

As Travis mentioned, he put Zambus casters on his 24", both Chuck and I opted for the next best thing which is sold by Great Lakes Casters. You can get them for about $12.00 ea vs about $40.00 ea. for the Zambus. Look the same and I even put a set on my Performax 22-44 sander. Makes it real easy to move around. If you don't plan on moving the saw around, I would just sit it on the floor and be done with it. The mobility set that comes with the saw is a POS in my opinion. But that is just my .02 and you might like it.

MIke

Nativespec

New User
David
Thanks Mike:

I probably wont be moving it much. Mine was just under $2,600 (with the "$200 Discount" but comes with the mobility, miter gauge and 3 blades. I am also interested in their 12" jointer/planer-but I will need a new shop first.

Thanks,

David

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I have the MM20 and agree with all that has been said thus far. I wanted to get the MM24 but it was too tall for my shop. I bought mine during the show the year before last, right when the new models came out and got basically the same deal you got with accessories. I pushed hard and also got free shipping and a 1" carbibe blade thrown in the package. Like some others, I installed Zambus casters which also raises the table height about 3". I always felt it was too low before that, and it also gets it up off of the floor so you can clean under it. It is now probally the most used tool in my shop. As for a jointer/planner, I chose Felder instaed of MiniMax. Take a hard look at these before making up your mind. I think you will be glad you did. If you are ever in the area, stop buy and visit. That goes for all!

A fix for all of you that have switch problems...
I also had switch trouble with mine in the beginning. I found that the problem was not really the switch but the switch cover. The start button did not have enough clearance to move freely. I removed the cover and enlarged the square hole that the start switch comes through on all four sides with a triangular file. Never had any more problems.

striker

New User
Stephen
I have a MM16 and agree with all said so far. The throat insert supplied with the machine is a plastic POS. It offers very little support for small work. I got tired of it and machined the table to accept a traditional aluminum throat plate.

I'm also not a big fan of the Cool Block set up they sent along for using small blades. My impression is they found something that kinda sorta fit the machine and through it in the box.

Overall its a nice machine - I think you will be happy with it.

Stephen

Attachments

• bsaw.JPG
    bsaw.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 322
  • MM16.JPG
    MM16.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 335

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Thanks Mike:

I probably wont be moving it much. Mine was just under $2,600 (with the "$200 Discount" but comes with the mobility, miter gauge and 3 blades. I am also interested in their 12" jointer/planer-but I will need a new shop first.

Thanks,

David

Wow, very nice pre-gloat! :lol: :lol:

David, unless they've changed the design the miter gauge can be discarded immediately. The mobility kit is a joke. I think the reason so many install the Zambus/Great Lakes casters is both for mobility and to raise the table a little bit. I'm only 5'7" and the table was really lower than I liked.

On the positive side, the blades that MM sent worked just fine. You are gonna really like that machine once you get it set up. I love mine.

There are a few quirks unless MM has fixed them:

The blade guard on mine had to be modified to allow the upper guides the adjustment range they need. This can be done very quickly with a dremel and cutoff wheel.

It may appear that the lower guard adjustment range will not work for different size bands. It will, you'll just have to find the sweet spot to give the range of adjustment needed for your lower thrust bearing.

Check the guide post alignment. Mine was pretty doggone close but if yours isn't then you can adjust it once and you should be fine. It's a solid design.

I adjusted the lower wheel tilt SLIGHTLY to track a 3/4 band with the teeth just over the front edge on the top and bottom wheels with the right amount of tension (as determined by my calibrated fingers pressing on the side of the band). Once done you're all set. I generally run a 1/2" now but occasionally use a larger band for wide stock resawing.

The Euro style blade guides are great down to 1/4 inch. Blade changes are fast.

The lower door on mine wouldn't open enough to install a wide band without removing the mobility kit wheel on that side (just pull a pin and slide the wheel off). Annoying but not significant. That problem disappeared when I installed the casters.

Pics upon arrival and assembly would be appreciated and would satisfy full gloat requirements. :)

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS