Anybody ever refinish any teak furniture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Roche

jim
User
Hey everybody, I have a pretty large patio set ( 8 chairs, 1 table and garden bench) that I would like to bring back to its original luster. I was looking for some suggestions on methods and products from anybody who's been down this road. Thanks in advance for your help. Jim

striker

New User
Stephen
Jim,

If you try a marine supply you’ll find no shortage of teak cleaners, brighteners, and preservative oils. I’m not familiar with who you have in your area, maybe West Marine.

Cleaners are usually a 2 part affair, Oxalic acid and a neutralizer. Not a particularly fun job to do. Make sure you wear plenty of protection as the chemicals are harsh on you as well as the wood.
Follow the directions. After cleaning, you’ll want to put on several coats of teak oil.

It will need constant care if you want to keep it in Palm Beach condition. It’s a lot easier to start liking the aged appearance. :gar-La;

Stephen

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Hey Jim,

I'll second West Marine - they usually have free shipping deals as well.

I've used a cleaner/ brightener wash before w/ decent results - basicaly a spray on - rinse off kind of thing. Anything more involved I think would require a pretty major time investment. Good luck!

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
+2 on the marine stores. Not a fun project but not too bad either. I have done a few pieces over the years. I Like the non gray weathered look better too.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I'm not sure what it will do for teak, but a pressure washer will remove the dark weathered look on treated lumber very well. No detergent or acids are necessary. It might just work on teak too. I made some Adirondack chairs out of treated lumber (not the best choice) and have cleaned the black off of them every year for the past 5 years with my pressure washer (don't get too close with the nozzle). They turn green again.

Charley

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Hey everybody, I have a pretty large patio set ( 8 chairs, 1 table and garden bench) that I would like to bring back to its original luster. I was looking for some suggestions on methods and products from anybody who's been down this road. Thanks in advance for your help. Jim

I also have a set of teak furniture. You didn't mention what condition yours is currently in. Mine sits on a screened porch, so it stays in pretty good shape. Every few years I take all the pieces I can lift outside and powerwash them. Then I wipe on a coat of marine varnish. Wipe it off in a few hours, let it sit a few days, one more wipe-down and I call it done.

If yours have turned grey, then I can't offer any direct advice, though I've heard sanding will take off the weathered layer.

Chris

Jim Roche

jim
User
Thanks for all the replies. I should have mentioned that has been outside and is weathered. So far, I am liking the pre-wash route:gar-La;! The thought of sanding all those chairs would likely drive me over the edge! If you have had success with a line of products, please let me know. Thanks.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member

Teak is an oily wood and generally does not take traditional furniture finishes well. I have had good luck using various teak oils over the years for both furniture and boat trims. If properly treated teak can last just about forever.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS